Tablet recommendations

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Tablet recommendations

Post by Cliffjumper »

After a cheap family-ish tablet and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as I really don't know what I'm doing. Could do with something that can handle the following: -
  • Web browsing
  • A few flash games
  • Social media type stuff
  • Moderately sturdy
  • A bit of memory for a fistful of DVD rips
  • Provision for a physical keyboard attachment
Preference would be for something I can do light web stuff like tabbed browsing and blogger updates. Daughter's surprisingly delicate for a 2-year old but is still a 2-year old so something with a little sturdiness would be good. I've tried looking on Amazon and ebay but have got freaked out by numerous bafflingly cheap ones and not really having the first idea what I'm doing.

Cheers :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

At lunch, so will try to come back to later if there's anything else...

Tablets generally don't do Flash, whether Apple or Android devices. Lots of game apps out there, though, just be warned most are freemium (so avoid storing payment details on the device, and beware windows in which other payments are authorised after paying for one thing, etcetera).

For your suggested needs I'd probably not look further than Amazon. There's a 7" kids edition of the Fire --

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Kids-Displ ... 00YYZMF1Y/

If you want big, the Fire HD 10 and other models are also decent value. Amazon load their own variant of Android whereas I was after stock Android, rooting, etc. and have gone with Nexus devices.

Amazon are obviously hoping people will continue to buy into their subscription services after a year so the devices are decent enough in their own right and essentially partly subsided. And you can use microSD cards with them. I suspect that's going to be your best starting point.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm onto my second Samsung and they've always done fine for me for virtually all of what you want (obviously I've not tested the kid friendly thing, but if it can survive me it can survive anything).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Anadin Extra's quite useful. Paracetamol, aspirin with a bit of caffeine. Plus you can mix it with Ibuprofen.

Yeah, over ten hours and that's the best I could come up with. I'm disappointed with myself too.