Just got my MP Megatron

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Just got my MP Megatron

Post by Knightdramon »

April sure did start well for me. Got both packages [one from hlj, one from BBTS] together and didn't have to pay a cent for customs.

I got DX Aquarion from BBTS, one hell of a die-cast mecha, hundreds of joints all over.

Megatron's another story. The robot mode is tall and imposing and did pose well with the binaltechs and Starscream for the few minutes I left him. He's not the sturdiest toy I have, as some panels are connected on the main body via ball joints. As I lifted him from the box, one panel fell off.

He had little problem posing with the arm cannon, but I had it slouched on his shoulder.

Transformation was, frankly, a nightmare. Excessive force was needed and I even used a knife to pry some parts open. The arms were pretty difficult to align since the slightest movement required to put them in position messed up the joints that needed to stay still. The legs on mine have not locked properly and for the last few minutes I've been trying to undo them, but to no avail. There's no stable place to hold in order to pull.

I'll put up a review in a few days, after I've gotten used to the figure.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

Christ, I'm almost fearing the arrival of my own Megatron. Is the transformation process hard to come to terms with? I've read various comments saying that MP Megatron had a really well thought out transformation scheme. Nothing too complicated and all that.

I simply can't wait for mine, simply because... well I don't even need to state why any more, it's a freaking dream come true. I hope I don't get too frustrated with him. Masterpiece Convoy was very easy to transform, the transformation pattern became habitual after a few run arounds, I hope Megatron is the same. (The last thing I need is my childhood nightmares being relived, my older brother broke his Megatron once in an attempt to turn him from gun to robot! We never got another Megatron after that. Naturally the Decepticons were in dis-array for years, with stand in Decepticon leaders such as Mega-Bomb (a one-armed Sixshot) and later Dreadwing (a G2 stealth bomber). Oh the days of childhood.)
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

from what i've read it seems to take around an hour first time through, which should give some indicator of its transformation level.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Just got my MP Megatron

I hate you.

I too have read rather contradicting comments about the MP Megs. One reviewer said the joints are tight but he's also very sturdy, while another said he feels really flimsy and prone to breakage.

I guess I'll just have to see for myself once I get my own.

Man, my fingertips are going to hate me again...
NullVoid
Protoform

Post by NullVoid »

Oh man the aquarion SOC kicks ass... AND I DON'T EVEN OWN IT! How tall is it by the way... and write it a review as well!

Also I watched one episode of the anime and it sucked ****! But the toy is good so it doesn't really matter.

I really want to get a lot from Masterpiece line except Magnus because of his paper trailer.

Hey is MP-04 Opi's trailer paper as well?
I know I don't have much, but this is MY transformers collection alone.
Sideways.Cybertron
BumbleBee.DeluxeClassics
Astrotrain.DeluxeClassics
HotRod.DeluxeClassics

BTW: I have had transformers all my life but most of them have been lost as I had the most Transformers ages 4-7.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I can't track mine...seems to be lost in the ether :(

Was bloody quick getting to Greece, I don't think I'm expecting mine to arrive until sat at the earliest.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Okay my dear people [and haters]

Since that time I've transformed Megs two times. Didn't feel really different than the last time, but I did pick up a few tricks so it was a tiny bit easier on the figure.

The bad? Legs and arms are a pain in the rear to transform. The legs have a three points connection at the torso, and it's difficult to even undo one point. I've seen similiar joints on a gundam model. What's more, the right knee joint is so tightly screwed it makes a disheartening sound whenever I move it, as if the plastic creaks and breaks.

It's solid, the parts that come under lots of pressure are metal [the exoskeleton at the back that you have to rip open and pull]. The elbow joints are not the lightest to work around with, as the slightest movement "undid" the joint.

SOC Aquarion is about the height of Megatron, but it's not stable. I'm returning it because some joints are so loose it can't even be transformed correctly. Aquarion Mars [the blue one] could not be transformed correctly because his shoulders always slouched, Luna could not even be formed and Solar was the most stable, but it's extremely heavy for it's own good.

Megs arrived at ordinary delivery time, and he went through customs once. Sometimes they keep the items there for a long time...
StoneCold Skywarp

According to ParcelForce my Megatron is 'awaiting customs charging' ... in Coventry ... that can't be a good thing...

EDIT: Checked again just now. It's got custom's charges on it. Left the depot today, should be with me in a couple of days I'd imagine.

Poo.
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

Well I have moved cities now, and I have been introduced to the new Transformers that I ordered for the past few months (to the address I moved to as my fiancee was living there without me for awhile). The first one I opened was Masterpiece Megatron of course.

My official thoughts?

Robot Mode, was surprizingly execellent, he stands up well against MP-01 Convoy.

Gun mode, ridiculously oversized, but really good and impressive to look at. Very detailed.

The process from Robot to Gun was a two hour battle with the parts that eventually folded into a gun. It was easier to get it from Gun to Robot, it seemed to be a case of undoing the damage, I mean, process and returning it to robot mode.

Overall, I like the toy, I am very happy that it exists, however it is a nightmare to transform. I actually almost broke it so many times.

It is definately staying in the robot mode for a long while.
lars573
Protoform

Post by lars573 »

Well I'm out $150. :\
Halfshell

Re: Just got my MP Megatron

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
As I lifted him from the box, one panel fell off.

Right arm? Mine too. Not entirely convinced it was attached in the first place... left one detached the moment I tried posing it, so it couldn't have been that secure in the first place.

Okay, mine's here and... it's... uhm... yeah. Top heavy... spindly legs... awkward to pose. Not even gonna try transforming it.

Blatantly Megaton, but the least accurate MP representation of a character so far. The posture/gait/whatever reminds me of Shockwave (all wide hips and paperthin legs).

Hopefully the upper body joints will loosen a bit, making him a bit more poseable. Hopefully the lower body joints won't loosen at all, seeing as I think it's more down to luck than judgement that he's actually maintaining his weight right now...

On the whole, very m'eh.
StoneCold Skywarp

I'm with The O'Con. As 'amazing' as the toy actually is, I started the transformation & stopped after I managed to un-hinge one of his shoulders. The force required is insane & I didn't want to push the issue on the other side in case I broke him.

The shoulder panels are perhaps the worst example of ball joints I've ever happened across too.

That said, the pose I have him in (right-hooking Prime) makes up for it, whilst there's no sideways movement in the hips, there's a reasonable about of balance in the feet...so long as you remove the cannon.

The first person to mass-produce & sell a kitbashed cannon at a better size is gonna make a fortune.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Re: Re: Just got my MP Megatron

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Right arm? Mine too. Not entirely convinced it was attached in the first place... left one detached the moment I tried posing it, so it couldn't have been that secure in the first place.

Fortunately they're as easy to pop in as they come off.

Particularily mindblowing sample of bad design is that, although the shoulder panels probably aren't meant to come off, it's nigh impossible to flip the connector parts out from the insides without doing so. Unless you got really tiny fingers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I believe it was the right arm panel as well that flew off as I lifted him.

Skywarp, trust me, it's MUCH easier to unlock the shoulder tabs the second time around. First time, I was sure I was going to break it. Funny thing? At least on mine, it took a lot of effort to snap them back up after the transformation. It's much easier if you try and push them down first [the black part must be pushed down for the transformation] and then attempt to pull out.

He can be posed with the cannon, but it takes quite some effort. I personally can't pose him as depicted on the box [pointing the cannon forward] because it stumbles upon the muzzle of the gun.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Knightdramon
He can be posed with the cannon, but it takes quite some effort. I personally can't pose him as depicted on the box [pointing the cannon forward] because it stumbles upon the muzzle of the gun.
Well you can pose him holding his cannon straight forward at least, if you swivel his forearm to lean outwards a little and push the gun barrel towards his spine.

I have him posed like that right now and it doesn't seem like he'll easily fall over, either.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I suddenly feel the urge not to spend vast amounts of money...

I was really looking forwards to having the latest version to put alongside my original - in gun mode, granted - and I actually do have quite tiny hands, but it sounds like I'm nowhere going to have the ironlike nervous constitution required to transform him. I wince at ratchet joints so much that the Scraplets often have to take the blessed toys out of earshot to do the deed for me, so Megs would be a frightening and expensive proposition. Dare I say that MP-05s will be appearing on e-Bay etc with the tag 'never transformed'?

Is there, one might ask, a bad batch going round? Or will this be the overall quality of the thing? :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Markus
Protoform

Post by Markus »

I just got mine today, and I love it.

No orange cap, I'm such a lawbreaker. :)
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

I think the only thing that really annoys me about Megatron is when you pick him up, his hips disconnect from the upper body and just dangle in place. Though I guess, playing 'Transformers' with him isn't really his purpose, right?

I always have to grab him from his groin (*ahem*) and hold him in place. He has a great range of 'staunch' poses to put him in, so he is a ****ing awesome display piece. The fact that he CAN transform IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT HIM TO doesn't really matter for me.

He looks great, is solid enough (except for his legs unhinging themselves from the body) his gun has a light in it! (I only just found that out today).
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I find it amusing that lots of European members got theirs before the majority of US members did. :)

After fiddling with it for a week, no, he's not bad. No parts disconnect if you've transformed him properly back to robot mode. The ball joints on mine are not loose at all. Seems like most of you need to loosen the screws at the knees to get rid of all the ratcheting sounds .

Whoever hasn't gotten his, get it now! I thought I was going to break mine [damn shoulders and torso] during transformation the first time, but now he's very easy to transform. It gets gradually easier with each time.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I wish my Megatron would get here so I can complain about how awful it is, too. :(