More movie rumors (robot characters, alt modes etc.)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

More movie rumors (robot characters, alt modes etc.)

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

I think this is a huge rumor. Bay has been quoted several times saying various versions of "I want long-time loyal Transformers fans to be happy." And I seriously doubt Devastator as a tank is going to accomplish this. Besides Bonecrusher is a PART of Devastator.

:rolleyes:
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

If all this is true I'm a tad bit confused...
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
I think this is a huge rumor.

Did the title give it away or did you figure that out on your own;)
-Alex???
TDG

Post by TDG »

ugh. I'm becoming more and more worried about this movie.
Assuming all of this is true (which i'm still doubting a little), I don't like the way the movie seems to be going. It seems like they're taking a movie and making it Transformers, instead of taking Transformers and making it a movie (if you get what i'm saying)
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

The second thread I linked was started on the Joesightings boards two weeks ago, by someone who appears to be completely unrelated to the Transformers fandom, or the Don Murphy boards.

How come he has the exact same information this rumor gives us?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
Besides Bonecrusher is a PART of Devastator.

:rolleyes:

Pfft. Everyone knows that bonecrusher is a Bison . . .

Anyway, they did say a loooooong time ago that the movie wasn't going to be G1, so why all this whining about how Devestator isn't a tank?
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Because it's rather pointless to be a TRANSFORMERS movie if they're just throwing down some names, focusing on the human cast, and having about as much in common with Transformers as the old Gobots cartoon? Why go for a massive nostaligiac title and then do something completely different than what the classic fans expect?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeah, completely different. The essence of Transformers is Devastator not being a tank.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
Because it's rather pointless to be a TRANSFORMERS movie if they're just throwing down some names, focusing on the human cast, and having about as much in common with Transformers
If it features robots that transform and has connections with Hasbro, it'll be a Transformers film.

Simple as, really. "Transformers" isn't a nostalgia title, no matter what fanboys want to believe. It's a current brand.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Originally posted by Denyer
If it features robots that transform and has connections with Hasbro, it'll be a Transformers film.

Simple as, really. "Transformers" isn't a nostalgia title, no matter what fanboys want to believe. It's a current brand.

No, currently Transformers is an 'also ran' title with crap all going for it, frankly. It's just fortunate for Hasbro that the competition is suck-all at the moment.

If this is a 'new' Transformers movie, then so be it, but I also thikn that's a mistake, since you and I BOTH know that the people who will be paying for tickets are around my age, and will largely be thinking G1.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Which is is also and more importantly aimed at the kids who are going to see it who don't know/give a stuff about g1 or are happy to see a film involving any form of Transformers...or just plain cool looking robots
-Alex???
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Originally posted by Aardvark
Which is is also and more importantly aimed at the kids who are going to see it who don't know/give a stuff about g1 or are happy to see a film involving any form of Transformers...or just plain cool looking robots

In which case, again, why not go with one of a bagillion other titles in Anime right now?

Basically, I'm asking, is there anything anymore that makes Transformers unique, or is it now just generic branding? And, if it's the latter, why would anyone who remember when it wasn't a generic brand continue to be interested, and how could it compete with other series which , at least, keep thematically the same?

This is a bigger problem than just the movie.

Case in point, why would anyone care about Optimus Prime is he's reduced to the 'leader guy', because that's ALL THERE IS about him? If that's the current thinking, then what's compelling about it?
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Transformers are robots that transform from the planet Cybertron ect. They have gone through many different incarnations. Thats what they are. They are a brand which does not need to tailor to every G1 fanboys satisfaction. Transformers is probably considered a reletivly successful brand so there's a reason to make a movie. Optimus Prime is just a leader guy.
-Alex???
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Transformers are robots that transform from the planet Cybertron ect. They have gone through many different incarnations. Thats what they are. They are a brand which does not need to tailor to every G1 fanboys satisfaction. Transformers is a reletivly successful brand so there's a reason to make a movie. Optimus Prime is just a leader guy.

You don't understand. It doesn't HAVE to be G1, but it can't just be Generic, either. Transformers has the stink of blandness and sameness about it, since it's been recycled and genercized so much that it's all pat. Will the movie really break out of it, whlie already PROMISING to follow the same pattern?

Look at Gundam. Overall, the same basic themes are there, but each series is dramtically different. What keeps it from being generic, though, is that Char Aznable isn't in every single series, with his story starting over with each one, pushing Gundam Gimmick of he Year, etc...

Macross has several series, with the same basic themes, but with new characters, new stories, etc, each time out. There's a retelling, but never a feeling of 'well, we're starting over next yaer anyway, so why care about THIS'?

What's the point of a Transformers movie that has nothing but Transformer names and transforming as a common theme, which will AGAIN reboot everything, and which will then be rebooted the next year. Why should anyone care?
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

If all this is true I'm a tad bit confused...

Did the title give it away or did you figure that out on your own;)

Ok, I'm officially a retard. Can I blame it on the fact that I spent my lunch break reading the boards, after a STRESSFUL day at work? haha
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

You don't understand

:eyebrow:
Look at Gundam. Overall, the same basic themes are there, but each series is dramtically different. What keeps it from being generic, though, is that Char Aznable isn't in every single series, with his story starting over with each one, pushing Gundam Gimmick of he Year, etc...
Yes but this is a stand-alone film.
Beast Wars=Machines Continuity (also an amalgamation of g1 tv/comics) That story ended. Armada-Energon-Cybertron for the most part same continuity. G1 comics=g2 comics. And as for Rid...
Macross has several series, with the same basic themes, but with new characters, new stories, etc, each time out. There's a retelling, but never a feeling of 'well, we're starting over next year anyway, so why care about THIS'?]

No one's saying you should
What's the point of a Transformers movie that has nothing but Transformer names and transforming as a common theme, which will AGAIN reboot everything, and which will then be rebooted the next year. Why should anyone care?

Again its a stand alone movie and as you said if it doesn't HAVE to be g1 then there's no point trying to give it the background of an 80s cartoon that kids who haven't seen it won't understand and again no ones saying you should care, the guys who want to earn some money off the film just want you to.
-Alex???
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Originally posted by RID Scourge

Anyway, they did say a loooooong time ago that the movie wasn't going to be G1, so why all this whining about how Devestator isn't a tank?

Because...Devestator is iconic in Transformers mythology. He was the FIRST gestault.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

QUOTE]Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
Ok, I'm officially a retard. Can I blame it on the fact that I spent my lunch break reading the boards, after a STRESSFUL day at work? haha [/QUOTE]
Only joking around:)
-Alex???
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

you and I BOTH know that the people who will be paying for tickets are around my age, and will largely be thinking G1.
Most of them won't be going to watch the film themselves -- it'll be because they spawned.
Why should anyone care?
Dunno, but it's been a massive seller. I have a sneaking suspicion it's because each line is pitched to a different "generation" of kids.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

No, currently Transformers is an 'also ran' title with crap all going for it, frankly. It's just fortunate for Hasbro that the competition is suck-all at the moment.

If this is a 'new' Transformers movie, then so be it, but I also thikn that's a mistake, since you and I BOTH know that the people who will be paying for tickets are around my age, and will largely be thinking G1.

I'll actually respectfully disagree with this one. Of course late 20's/early 30's will show up en masse, but I know my 5yo nephew is going to BEG me to see giant robots shooting guns. It's a huge tentpole popcorn summer flick. I can't see it grossing anything less than $200million domestic US and $450 total worldwide.