Underrated Transformer.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
schomburg2002
Protoform

Underrated Transformer.

Post by schomburg2002 »

Which do you think is the most underrated transformer of all time?

I do believe Kup is my pick, I just think that he was one of the most unique transformers ever, I mean he was one of those war veterans that you kinda look to if you need help or any special strategies against the Decepticons.
Hound

Post by Hound »

This belongs in the G1 forum...

My vote is for Bumblebee, he could've made one hell of a cool spy if done right and without Spike attached at the hip...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Rodimus Prime. Sure, he whined a lot, but he always managed to get over it, adn do what he had to do. It was too bad that he always fell back into that funk of his. Poor guy. If he had been able to get out from underneath Optimus' shadow, he could have been great. As Kup even said, this was the way that Optimus was when he started.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Skids.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Skids.

Stop describing your underwear already!
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

wheelie
I don't understand why everyone hates him
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by Lemming
wheelie
I don't understand why everyone hates him
Somthing tells me most people hate you. ;)
Skids.
Explain please.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

I agree with Lemming, even if I'll be hated by all of you...
Poor Wheelie, I like him, I think he's cute

And also Hot Rod, I know he messed things up many times1 but c'mon, he's not that bad
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

And also Hot Rod, I know he messed things up many times1 but c'mon, he's not that bad
He never really messed up much at all.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Nissan_X_004

I always thought Hot Rod was a fan favorite. I've always thought of him as a bit over-rated actually.

Oh and how exactly is Skids under-rated? He got reissued for chrissakes. :p He looks to be one of the best toys from the original Diaclone series, next to Hound that is...

I wish I had a Skids toy :(
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

They guys with the super powers:

- Trailbreaker
- Windcharger
- Skywarp
- Mirage
and many more from the original line.

Other chronic wastes:

- Hound
- Sideswipe
- Smokescreen
- Inferno (he did get a fair bit of screen time in the comic and cartoon, but it didn't do his true character justice in my opinion).
- Lightspeed (the guy was originally a space cruiser fer Christ's sake! that could have made for something interesting).
- Sandstorm
- Roadbuster

It makes me slightly annoyed just thinking about it.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by Windcharger

- Lightspeed (the guy was originally a space cruiser fer Christ's sake! that could have made for something interesting).

Yeah, I can picture him hurling himself off a tall building, or out of airlocks thinking he can just fly away.

Wheelie was definitely underrated. See my list of his achievements in LT's 'Did Wheelie get a bad rap?' thread.

Rodimus was another underrated guy. Sure, he was a whiner, but I really can't think of a specific instance where he did anything stupidly wrong. He seemed quite a stable leader actually. Besides, I like my leaders to be fallible. That's what attracted me to Beast Wars - Even Megatron or Primal could be taken out by a normal trooper with a lucky shot.

Any of the Autobot cars. Barely any of them got a touch of characterisation, so we never saw their full potential.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I agree on the whole Autobot cars issue. I really think that with the proper characterisation, Sideswipe could have been a key player in the Autobot army throughout G1. He was a badass, but as it was he only got 2 comic panels; one where he flew off using his rocket pack to blind Thundercracker in UK issue #4, and another in the 'Dinobot Hunt' story where his team got wasted by an enraged Grimlock battle a Decepticon controlled Sludge.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak
Stop describing your underwear already!

:(

Skids underrated? Well, as recently as his reissue, there was a thread in Toys blasting him for being a pointless reissue. His toy is towards the best of the first two lines when taking nostalgia out of the equation, but very few admit this, preferring to laud Jazz and monkey boy Wheeljack to high heaven instead. Only being onscreen a tiny bit in the cartoon meant he didn't get ****ed up as much as most contemporaries either... it wasn't his fault he was part of an incredibly stupid strategy from Prowl for a start. And he rocks in the comic - he gets laid, he's able to get Ravage down that mineshaft, he has his best crack at wiping out a whole ton of squishies, he takes on bloody Octopunch, and he freezes Starscream. Not bad for a Theoretician.

And yet there are still sections of fandom who do the "who was skids :D" line. They're all illiterate cartoon fans, most likely.

It helps that his RiD counterpart is the best toy ever, too.

EDIT: YAY!!!!!! Thanks Warp :)
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Sideswipe and Sunstreaker could be great characters. But Sunstreaker is cosidered as the one who only cares about his looks and Sideswipe doesn't get even that.

Hot Rod messed things? Hey, isn't he the one who helped kill Prime? Oh, he is! I love him!! ;)
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

I think Kup was underrated, myself. I do agree with alot of the sentiments people have expressed in this thread. Apart from the 'Wheelie & Hot Rod were good' ones.
This is why the comics tend to be better.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Sades

Post by Sades »

Roller. I'm not kidding. I think it was a good concept, but totally wasted... get rid of the annoying cutesy beeping, and equip him with something interesting, like a camera and some lasers, and we wouldn't have had to put up with Bumblebee.

(I think 'bee would still have been annoying... even if 'done right' and without Spike. In my mind, there is just no way a TF with a yellow VW beetle alt. mode can make a good spy... )

[edit]Ooh, yes, and Mirage. Mirage was also very wasted, IMO.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by saysadie
(I think 'bee would still have been annoying... even if 'done right' and without Spike. In my mind, there is just no way a TF with a yellow VW beetle alt. mode can make a good spy... )

I think Bumblebees alt. mode is a great inconspicuous(sp?) form for a spy, better than say, a blue and white F-1 Ligier JS-11 racer*. Considering 'Bees abilities as stated in his tech specs he had all the talent for it and it was never utilized to his potential. Instead he was "Spike's buddy" and "the little weak guy". I find that a shame...

Edit: Happy now Cliffy?

*-from "Cybertronian: The Unofficial Transformers Recognition Guide Vol.1"
Sades

Post by Sades »

Originally posted by Hound
I think Bumblebees alt. mode is a great inconspicuous(sp?) form for a spy, better than say, a blue and white indy racecar. Considering 'Bees abilities as stated in his tech specs he had all the talent for it and it was never utilized to his potential. Instead he was "Spike's buddy" and "the little weak guy". I find that a shame...

I was talking Cartoonwise, sorry... should have been clear. The way I see it, Mirage's disappearing ability would have rendered his alt. mode's conspicuity equally as inconspicuous... (... :eyebrow: ... :glance: ... ) ... if not moreso, than Bumblebee's. If I were Prime, I'd paint a nice, biiiiiig red bull's-eye on Bumblebee's chassis and send him out to play in a firefight while Mirage went behind enemy lines.

Like I said, that's cartoon wise... after comparing the TFU profiles...

http://tfarchive.com/genone/tfubumblebee.php

http://tfarchive.com/genone/tfumirage.php

I'd probably go with Bumblebee. 'Takes risks, eager to please' beats "Yawn, I think I'll go out for pasta... or join the 'cons today..." any day... :glance:
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well that's what I meant by "done right".

Bumblebee was poorly used in the cartoon and rarely used in the comic.

Actually I could say that for a great many charcters...