voice over

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
TopHat II
Protoform

voice over

Post by TopHat II »

Name one movie you went to see because of the hollywood celebrity doing the voice over...

The celebrity must be the motivating factor for going to the film....

This thread is completely facetious, so I'm looking for answers like "Kim Basinger in Cool World" or possibly a definition for 'facetious'
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

And this has what to do with Transformers?

Oh, and probably one of Nimoy's turns on The Simpsons. For some reason they always get me.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
And this has what to do with Transformers?

Aimed at the people saying "get the ghost of Charlie Chaplin to voice Megatron, and the new movie will clean up" ?

Jason Lee in The Incredibles.

Actually, that's a lie, I didn't even realise it was him until the end credits. But he is the over-riding reason for my loving the film. Oh yeah, there's the plot and script and other superficial stuff, but Jason Lee!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Moved.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Denyer
Moved.

Yeah, like Brend said, Jason Lee in The Incredibles was good, but you were moved by it. Wow.

Most of the ones that crop up in Futurama amuse me except Lucy Liu, her voice just grates on me.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Not that I give a rats ass about Mark Hamill but if he counts as a celebrity voice over rather then that just being a job, I have a long list of cartoons (Except Striperella) . Walen in Ants was my only reason for watching that. Michael Stipe (REM) in Olive the Other Raindeer
-Alex???
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't think you're actually a celebrity if 99.9% of the world's population thinks you're called Luke.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Except that guy from the Bible, not Matthew, Mark or John. Anyway he was damn good in Batman
Oh and I meant to write Christopher Walken, not Walen in Ants
-Alex???
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I've never watched anything animated solely on the base of the voice talent, but I was tempted by Ricky Gervais in 'Valiant' and 'Porco Rossi' which had amazingly employed super cheese Cary Elwes on voice over duty. Actually I still might pick that last one up if I see it in a sale anywhere.

I miss Cary, he really sucked in 'Saw'.......

"I am only mostly dead!"
windsweeper
Protoform

Post by windsweeper »

Samuel L. Jackson in The Incredibles.

Sean Connery was magnificent in Dragonheart.

Christopher Walken was very good as Cutter in Antz.
Rodimus Convoy

Post by Rodimus Convoy »

The only reason I ever gave Scooby-Doo a chance was because of all the TF people in it. For non-voice-overs, I went to see Doom because it had Karl Urban in it... I'm so glad he didn't die.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Which reminds me, I was sat through an agonising feature lenght of the old Scooby Doo cartoon as it had a character who looked and was indeed played by Vincent Price
-Alex???
windsweeper
Protoform

Post by windsweeper »

Why was Scooby Doo popular? Even as a child, I didn't like it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I only own Predator on DVD because Peter Cullen did the voice of the titular creature. In fact, I only watch films/TV shows with a TV voice actor in the cast because I am a tru fan!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

I found Nicholas Cage good in "lord of war". He does a fairly good voiceover.
TopHat II
Protoform

yup

Post by TopHat II »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Aimed at the people saying "get the ghost of Charlie Chaplin to voice Megatron, and the new movie will clean up" ?

Jason Lee in The Incredibles.

Actually, that's a lie, I didn't even realise it was him until the end credits. But he is the over-riding reason for my loving the film. Oh yeah, there's the plot and script and other superficial stuff, but Jason Lee!

Yeah, I just don't see how having someone like George Clooney doing a VOICE is going to draw a mainstream crowd. "OH, honey, George Clooney is doing the voice! We should go and listen to him talk in this robot movie!"
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by ravimus prime
I found Nicholas Cage good in "lord of war". He does a fairly good voiceover.

I think you mean did a fairly good narration. I thought we were talking about animated voice overs or voice actors as opposed to live action actors.

Remembering back now I think I actually went to see 'The Road to El Dorado' based on an interview I had seen with Kenneth Brannagh and Kevin Kline and apart from the naff Elton John songs it was actually pretty good.

On the flip side I refuse to watch 'Ants' because of its association with Woody Allen and I was forced to watch 'Monsters Inc' by my mates despite my protests that it contained Billy Crystal and was therefore going to be pants.

I find both actors terminally unfunny, so I sometimes will refuse to watch an animated flim because of an actor I know to be involved, silly isn't it really? Although this policy nearly back fired, it was fortunate that I realised Harry Connick Jr was in 'Iron Giant' after I had seen the film.
inflatable dalek

Re: yup

Originally posted by TopHat II
Yeah, I just don't see how having someone like George Clooney doing a VOICE is going to draw a mainstream crowd. "OH, honey, George Clooney is doing the voice! We should go and listen to him talk in this robot movie!"
I can tell you that if George Clooney was in the TF film in any capacity you'd have to tie my mother down to stop her going to see it...
Wildrider

Re: Re: yup

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I can tell you that if George Clooney was in the TF film in any capacity you'd have to tie my mother down to stop her going to see it...

He does have husky tone doesn't he? I remember an in depth discussion with my mates over how you could easily mistake Tim Allen for George Clooney in the 'Toy Story' films.

Although on reflection they don't sound too alike now, but he'd be a good voice actor for an animated feature I think, well something beyond the gay dog in 'South Park' anyway.
inflatable dalek

Re: Re: Re: yup

Originally posted by Wildrider
He does have husky tone doesn't he?

It's not his tones she's after.

I brought Phonebooth soley for Kiether Sutherland and his fantastic "The only way to talk like me is to smoke so much your lungs curl up and die" voice.