Who wants to be a teacher?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Who wants to be a teacher?

Post by Sir Auros »

I know that G91, Jim, Denyer, and myself want to become teachers once we're out of school, and this seems to be a popular job choice for men with interests such as ours, so is there anyone else here who wants to teach once they get out of college? If so, what do you intend to teach? I'm planning on teaching Spanish in high school in about two more years.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

English. Preferably GCSE or college-level, although I have nothing particular against degree-level studies—in fact, they're easier and vaguer... :)

Basically, it annoys me that so many people can't string a basic sentence together, or have difficulty interpreting everyday instructions or whatever. Without a decent grounding in the language, your entire system of communication and thought processes are limited. For instance, some languages and cultures don't have words for certain concepts, meaning that they tend to be overlooked. (For example, trying to phrase "the oneness of all things" in English sounds pretentious, yet is more or less accepted in some continental langauges.) I'd like everyone to at least have the chance to discover something which I for one derive a lot of pleasure from.

The general idea is to give everyone the core skills they need to function, and then try to capture whatever latent persistent interest exists in as many people as possible...stimulate interest, get people to ask questions, and point them in the direction of things to follow-up. I realise that this is perhaps political suicide, and that most authorities would rather people didn't ask too many questions, but I think it's valuable to be in a position from whence one can structure a critique in appropriate terms.
Scout

Post by Scout »

*raises hand* Do I count? I already am a teacher Sir Auros. :) It's a terrific proffesion, even with its ration of "days". I'm certified K-9, but I work best with K-5. That's so fantastic you fellas are going to be teachers!

Scout
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

well...

it seems that i hope to teach history and government at the junior high, high school level. I also would like to coach football, wrestling, and baseball...too tired to go into anymore details at the moment...
Jim

Post by Jim »

History/Political Science in Middle school.
Jetfire

I can't wait to start.

Post by Jetfire »

I do I do.

I have been applying for PGCE's in Biology (Secondary and college) at various London/Surrey based schools (Seeing as I believe you tend to get your first school from one connected to your university) which is such a shortage subject in the UK the government are actually paying graduates to take the course and even offering a 'golden handshake' after I complete one year of teaching. Its also great I get to do a subject I love.

I'm actually really excited about it because its the first thing I really ever wanted to do with my life (beside winning the lottery) and would have hated myself if I went through life as a number for a PLC or felt I didn't ever achieve something good for someone else if I had the chance. It’s also great because I finally get to use my brain daily rather than have it turn off for eight hours and get a challenge that provides the rewards

While I'm sure you do tons of work outside school hours the holiday lengths are great :cool:
Addl
Protoform

Re: Who wants to be a teacher?

Post by Addl »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
this seems to be a popular job choice for men with interests such as ours
crossdressing?

never thought of that, but it seems logical, now that you bring it up.

and no, I never wanted to be a teacher... I have no patience with humans and I get very sarcastic/unfair/uninterested when confronted with "less gifted".
As people tell me, the surrounding fitting to me is the "ellbow society" industry where only facts count and the clear, simple, and logical presentation of them.
Unsureness or babbling==> failure
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

No, for the same reasons Addl.

I have a friend who teaches psychology.

BTW, Scout, what do you teach?
Starscreamer
Protoform

Post by Starscreamer »

political science at college level

[get the large sig replaced with the crop job ASAP! ~Denyer]
Scout

Post by Scout »

I teach wiggly, huggy little kids Mirage! Mostly they're in 2nd and 3rd grade and are full of curiousity, cuteness and personality. :) Because they're not at middle school level yet where they start in with specific subjects, I am responsible for teaching them all subjects except PE, art and music- but I try and throw that into classtime as well.

Normally I would be teaching Kindergarten full time (I have lots of patience). However, last fall I managed to do a number on an ankle and spent most of the winter in phys-therapy- put the kaibosh on a full-time classroom. So, since Jan, I've been subbing. I missed teaching terribly while I was out. But now there's only 2 more days left and then it'll be back to a steady job for summer at Walmart. Gotta get more money in hand before Botcon! :D

Scout
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

oh god I couldn't STAND to be a teacher. I have so little patience. Drill Sergeant maybe, cuz I like to robot people around and NOBODY F***S with the drill sergeant. :D :D :D
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

My friend does want to teach English. I'm going for radiology in about 2 years.
LordSixshot
Protoform

Post by LordSixshot »

My mum and dad are teachers, and my gran, grandad and nan were all teachers too. Would I like to be a teacher? No foooking way. My mum cries every day because she hates her job so much. She likes the actual teaching the kids part but she has to do so much paperwork outside of working hours that she hardly has a life. Stupid government. And my dad works in a secondary school for kids with behaviour problems. He gets beaten up and threatened with knives on a daily basis. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I'd still hate to be a teacher.
They did play him. Not much happened.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Hate children. I don't even intend to be a father, why talk to strange kids?

As a useful point, though, I get the feeling that teachers of the future will be much less valued than today, as they will just be that much more plentiful. Last summer, I worked with half a dozen collegiates while trying to work up toy cash. Yeah, every blasted one was studying to be a teacher. As well, my classes this year had two student teachers, while I couldn't have surpassed three in my total previous schooling...
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
The Plant
Protoform

Post by The Plant »

My mom's a teacher too, so was my grandmother.
Originally posted by LordSixshot
She likes the actual teaching the kids part but she has to do so much paperwork outside of working hours that she hardly has a life. Stupid government.
Indeed.
To all of you aspiring teachers, and to those of you who already do.
You're all a bunch of loons.
But, never the less,
Good luck.:)
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good...and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Some of them are loons, not all, but most.;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Reflector
I don't even intend to be a father, why talk to strange kids?
Preferable to having the varmints running around the house, surely? ;)
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Reflector
Hate children. I don't even intend to be a father, why talk to strange kids?

As a useful point, though, I get the feeling that teachers of the future will be much less valued than today, as they will just be that much more plentiful. Last summer, I worked with half a dozen collegiates while trying to work up toy cash. Yeah, every blasted one was studying to be a teacher.
In the UK teaching problems are actually the exact opposite.
There is a cronic shortage of teachers available. The goverment is not only waving all university fee's to Post graduate trannies but giving them thousands of pounds to study. Not only that in Science, Maths and other subjects even worse off they are offering a 'golden handshake' of more thousands just to stay one year on top of raising all the pay l;evels for teachers over the past couple of years.

Dispite all thise many course's are still underprescribed even at the top universities and still a third of all people who study teaching and get qualified still don't ever take a teaching job. Many more leave after 3 years only leaving the government offering school's to do 'golden handcuff' deals to keep teachers for 3-5 year periods if their any good.
Zombie Dave
Protoform

Post by Zombie Dave »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1

The goverment is not only waving all university fee's to Post graduate trannies but giving them thousands of pounds to study.

Would this be at the university of soho? ;)

Joking aside, my ma and pa are both teachers. My mother is chuffed because she just got a new job, and my dad seems to have fun where he works, even though his school is hella crap and full of louts.

It's the White Hart Lane shool by the way!

I'd certainly consider what it seems many people with similar degrees to the one I'm on do. Take work in their specific industry, but do part time lectures for a local college or uni.