Spotlight: Wheelie | UPDATE

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Spotlight: Wheelie | UPDATE

Post by Denyer »

Image Image

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3286

Anyone who wants to make jokes, can you please have a stab at making them ones that people who've been in the fandom a few years haven't heard beaten like a fetid nag corpse? Ta.

Personally I'd be quite interested in a characterisation that was more like the original concept and tech spec, and less like the cartoon, old comics and Wheelie: Wild Boy of Quintesson Big Looker storybook... i.e. to see if a writer (maybe not Furman, if this is a spotlight) could twist the character into something readable and likable.

UPDATE
Ryall's blog updated. Possible confirmation.
http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/02/w ... -dead.html
Clay

Post by Clay »

Incidentally, now may be a good time to add a dead horse smiley...

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, it can replace the :rolleyes: slot...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

You know, assuming this is true, I saw this one coming awhile back. Of course, that was when Furman announced that there'd be a Spotlight of a character who was featured in the original '86 movie, that could receive a fresh new spin, blah, blah, blah, worship me. Turns out that would be Arcee, but still.....
But it doesn't look like Roche's work :( He would have worked magic on the character, artistically and narratively.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

zigzagger wrote:, blah, blah, worship me. Turns out that would be Arcee, but still.....
But it doesn't look like Roche's work :( He would have worked magic on the character, artistically and narratively.
It's not, according to the linked thread the mystery artist is one who didn't work on the BW Sourcebook.

The fact it seems to have a indervidual title in Survival Run rather than ju8st being called [i}Wheelie[/i] suggests either a minor change in the format for the Spotlights or it isn't one.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

inflatable dalek wrote:It's not....
I know.
It just would have been nice, is all.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

There wouldn't be much point in Ryall saying "can you guess what we're going to do" and posting art direct from it, would there? "Oh, here's a picture of Wheelie..."

Or am I being incredibly dense?

I'd say whoever did those sketches is the artist... beyond that, I'd say it won't be Wheelie.

Survival Run was a story from UK #238, so I'll be random and say the artist in question will be Lee Sullivan.
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Post by trilobitepictures »

Well... Furman WAS hinting at two movie chracters getting their own Spotlights way back in August. And there was a hint of this back on the first page of the Optimus Spotlight...

[edit:] I guess they already did two. I totally forgot about Kup. But they were hinting at it in the Prime Spotlight...

[edit again:] And Ultra Magnus and Hot Rod... God™, these things are just blending together now.
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

trilobitepictures wrote:Well... Furman WAS hinting at two movie chracters getting their own Spotlights way back in August.

[...]

[edit:] I guess they already did two. I totally forgot about Kup.
Kup was last April.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Personally, I'm waiting to see if Nick Roche does a Springer Spotlight. We talked about that a bit back at Botcon '07 and what would happen if such a thing ever happened.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
snavej

Post by snavej »

Suggestion: Wheelie should form a crack squad of embarassing Transformers, dedicated to bringing about change through sheer force of embarassment. All the cool Transformers would flee before them, so victory would be theirs:swirly:.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Denyer wrote:Personally I'd be quite interested in a characterisation that was more like the original concept and tech spec,
I don't think I've ever read the tech spec... got a link maybe?

Edit: Found the link:
http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/tel ... &year=1986

He seems pretty similar to how he was portrayed in the movie. The "Savage" bit might be interesting to explore though. Actually I guess it would be an interesting challenge for a writer to take a character that is generally hated by the majority of the fandom and actully make him interesting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Blitzwing wrote:I don't think I've ever read the tech spec... got a link maybe?
[rhetorical] Do people even look at this ****ing site? [/rhetorical]

http://tfarchive.com/toys/techspecs/original/
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Denyer wrote:[rhetorical] Do people even look at this ****ing site? [/rhetorical]
Whoops... yeah, I usually go directly for the forum. I really should take a look and see how things have changed here over the years.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

I'm not a Wheelie fan, but I do like how IDW has been changing the characteristic of the TF's. I hope that this is not the same Wheelie from back in the day but either change him or tweak him.
zigzagger

Confirmation.....

Post by zigzagger »

Well, sort of....
Chris Ryall updates his blog, teasing at a possible June release.
http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/02/w ... -dead.html
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

"They carry their balls in a wheelbarrow. 'Scuse me, 'scuse me, man with big balls coming through. Man with big balls is here to testify." --Bill Hicks
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

That is HILARIOUS.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Frankly Wheelies last few albums have been well below par. He's just a sell out.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

You could say they've been WHEELIE bad, but that would incurr a lifetime ban and some form of beating, yes?
"There's money in the Banana Stand"