New "Reign of Starscream" movie sequel preview art | UPDATE: interview with Chris Mowry

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

New "Reign of Starscream" movie sequel preview art | UPDATE: interview with Chris Mowry

Post by Denyer »

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/03/r ... unday.html

Image Image Image Image

Starting next month, we'll be releasing the *official* comic book sequel to last summer's TRANSFORMERS movie, in the form of TRANSFORMERS: THE REIGN OF STARSCREAM. The script is by Chris Mowry and myself (Mowry did most all the heavy lifting, for purposes of full disclosure. But if you love the comic and I think you will, I'll try to share in the praise...), with Alex Milne and Josh Perez, the same team as the Movie Adaptation comic, ably handling the art chores, as you can see here.

Since both Mowry and I are pop-culture idiots, whose conversations seem to be as much from old movies as from our own heads, look for various little quotes and references to movies, songs, and old Transformers Animated episodes, too.

Doing sequels to movies that nevertheless don't affect any coming sequel have a long tradition in comics (anyone else remember Han Solo's giant green bunny sidekick in Marvel's STAR WARS series?), and we've been having a lot of fun with this one. Expect to see some new faces, some familiar faces, some explanations for certain, shall we say, quirks in the movie's script, a return to Cybertron (and another planet, this one in our solar system), and much more in this series.

edit:

Interview with Chris Mowry, explaining the plotline of issue one --

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3635
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

so the preview art is of scenes from the movie, what a rip-off.
Come on and wind me up.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The Mirage Spotlight also has a short feature/interview in the back (which is probably the most interesting thing in the issue). Rather nicely they admit that despite trying their best to tie in with the draft script/outlines for the second film it's going to be almost impossible for the comic to gel with what happens on screen in a years time perfectly. It makes a refreshingly honest change from the usual (for tie ins to TV Shows/films) "We're all working closely together to have it all mesh perfectly" only for contradictions to slip in thing we normally see.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Interview with Chris Mowry, explaining the plotline of issue one --

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3635

We'll see Starscream as he should have been in the movie. Seriously, I mean, he's got two lines in the film!? What's that all about? What we wanted to do was give arguably the toughest character in the film (c'mon, he took on Ratchet AND Ironhide point-blank!) some situations where he could really step it up and when he does, look out. Just think of the ferocity you saw him with at the end of the film, and match that with a contriving mind (he's smart! he's smart!). Now throw in a dash of madness, and you've got our Starscream.

So what we did for the first issue, was really just go back and reflect on things either glanced over or not explained, and explain them through Starscream's point of view. How the Autobots got to Earth, how did the Decepticons follow them, how did Starscream fail Megatron the FIRST time? Those kinds of things we're trying to explain in our way, through his words. Also, we're referencing the Prequel books (make sure you read the Target exclusive version!) as well. So while some may think that the first issue is nothing but a rehash of what we've already seen, it's not. It's merely a pathway leading into the story. Oh and it's not a total retelling, I'll promise you this for the first book:

- Characters that were not seen in the movie
- Characters that should have been seen in the movie (in our opinion)
- Quite a few easter eggs

See link for further details and a bit more preview art.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Denyer wrote:How the Autobots got to Earth, how did the Decepticons follow them.

Err, didn't the Decepticons get to Earth before the bulk of the Autobots?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Err, didn't the Decepticons get to Earth before the bulk of the Autobots?
And?

I'd imagine he's referring to Bumblebee getting there first, with the Decepticons then following him there.

And yes, I know Megatron was there before that...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Is it just me or do the scenes from the movie look like direct tracings?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

another tf fan wrote:so the preview art is of scenes from the movie, what a rip-off.
Hell yeh, I paid good money for those free, low-res JPEG files, and I wanna refund.