IDW Transformers ongoing #2 - 5 page preview.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
snavej

I hope that this 'Ongoing' lasts longer than the previous one!

Post by snavej »

A somewhat different approach again. One might say 'Typical Hot Rod - going his own way' but I don't think that he did exactly this before.

Speculation about Optimus: while in captivity, he might try to infiltrate the human networks to install proper security, to improve performance, to increase interconnectivity, to monitor activity and various other things. Also, he'll be able to watch the humans themselves, close up and in person, seeing how they interact.

If Megatron was somewhat comparable to a human dictator, then Optimus could be comparable to a human holy person or altruist. For example, he could encourage passive resistance like Mahatma Gandhi or purposeful self-sacrifice like Jesus Christ.
Bluecatcinema
Protoform

Post by Bluecatcinema »

Damn, Omega Supreme looks awesome!:cool:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I really don't like the art. Characterisation's more on the ball than what I've seen on #1, and the writing is likeable; TFs actually having conversations rather than talking in cliché or tech-spec-ese.

This'll probably be a TPB purchase unless the feedback's consistently terrible for the next few issues.

Thanks for posting. My free time evaporated for the last few weeks/months.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Chirst, in the comments I've just made on the first issue over in the relevant thread I nearly put in a "Well, at least Spike didn't make his first appearance getting a blow-job from his secretary" comment, but didn't as I thought that'd be tempting fate for issue 2. Sadly they still give it us on the very first page this time.

And has he really co-opted Breakdown as his car? Really? Skywatch don't want to like, study or interrogate their captured alien? Instead they're letting their main field agent drive it about?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Characterization is okay, I guess. The art... needs some getting used to, although it works for Omega Supreme IMO.

Why is Spike using Breakdown as his car? What, skywatch haven't learnt from their past mistakes?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

The breadown thing is glaringly stupid isnt it? Maybe they are doing a heroes thing (one of us, one of them?) altough I doubt it :)

Rest of the issue reads fine. I dont mind spike being potrayed as a irresponsible git. It makes much more sense with the rest of his character then potraying him as a hero. Of courser, if IDW then try to use him as a hero...

The rest of the preview looks good though. Dialogue is good to see, hope its a sign of the overall direction. Art work is growing on me more and more. Really liked the design of Brawn.

One thing I think that is becoming more and more apparant is that the writer (writers?) are re-doing the characters to suit they're story. Jetfire has been in a command position before and says nothing. Going by Prowl/kups coda, this situation would be a perfect time for prowl to remove rodimus and take control as some of the autobots are clearly desperate for leadership. He doesnt. And in the bottom of the fifth page we see Jazz - who had nor problem taking charge the last time prime went down. Its one thing to want to tell a story but i really wish they would think a little bit more about the characters that are carrying that story.

Speaking of Jazz, any idea who is behind him? I can only guess its Grapple?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

It's Hotspot, I believe.

Actually, what I think they should do is to drop the human factor, or at least introduce new characters. Really don't like IDW's Spike Witwicky. Granted, if Costa's reason for the Autobots to remain on earth is for them to hunt down the Cybertronian technology stolen by humans, and Prime's surrendering to destroy all the technology, then I'll be suitably impressed.

Yeah, putting high-command characters like Jazz and Jetfire in the background, while Hot Rod pisses off everyone, isn't such a good move. But who knows? Perhaps Jazz'll get a dialogue on page 6.

Ah, Brawn. :)