Transformers: Windblade

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Grayfox
Protoform

Transformers: Windblade

Post by Grayfox »

"In the aftermath of Dark Cybertron, Windblade takes the planet by storm! But where did she come from - and what does her secret mean to the future of the Transformers?"

TPB will contain Transformers: Windblade #1-4. More information @ Amazon.

-- ziggy

----

Preview:

http://www.newsarama.com/20577-windblad ... ormer.html
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Didnt read the dialogue as its bound to spoiler dark cybertron but I do like the art style. Other than that, I gots nothing.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If this is treading RID ground, shouldn't it be a story arc in RID?

Not hugely against the cutesy art, faux oriental styling, etc. but not seeing anything of interest, personally.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:If this is treading RID ground, shouldn't it be a story arc in RID?
Possible Dark Cybertron spoilers, if you care...
SPOILER! (select to read)
Actually, I think some of the post-Dark Cybertron covers that they've put out in solicits imply that RID will be moving to Earth soon.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I think that what Warcry spoilerd has been all but confirmed.
SPOILER! (select to read)
If I'm reading the preview stuff right, MTMTE will go back on its search for the nights but what an Autobot branded Megatron on board, Optimus will lead RID to earth and the Windblade 4/5 parter will stay on Cybertron. If things go well with Wingblade the plan I think is for it to become a full ongoing. Also as a guess, given that Wingblades story has the runner of Dawn of the Autobots its possible that Megatron has joined the Autobots so much as disbanded the Decepticon army completely and Cybertronians in general are back under an Autobot government
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ah well, easy pass then.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I may be opening myself up to easy caricature by my lack of caution here but I like that well enough to give the series a shake. The art is a big draw.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Nice isnt it? The cover by Sarah Stone for the first issue is very eye-catching as well.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ooh so pretty...will have to give this a go. Having a new writer on board is good!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yes. I'd say its as much of a breath of fresh air as Nick Roche was in Spotlight: Shockwave.

Not to say that Roche has gone stale, he's only gone from strength to strength since then, but that its good to have these injections of new blood every once and a while. Even if this turns out to a Heart Of Darkness kind of miscalculation, at least it's a bit different.
Terome

Post by Terome »

And, that said, if this is a success then I hope the people involved aren't sidelined the way Roche has been.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Indeed. Stupid IDW.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

As a writer Roche could easily give Roberts a run for his money but as an artist he's not great and to be brutally honest about it other than Spotlight: Megatron his art has looked more like it was drawn by a bad Pat Lee knockoff.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that Roche isn't anything special in the art department. His writing, though...small sample size, but it's some of the best that IDW have had. It's really a shame they can find extra work for Shane McCarthy but not him. :(
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I disagree completely with you guys on roche art - it's so expressive and full of energy. I think the problem with him is that if he has a tight deadline or a lot of issues his work becomes somewhat rushed (LSOTW starts off great but has a few wavy panels as it goes on). But on the whole I think his style is great. And it clearly brought out the best in Alex Milne too. To my mind spotlight:shockwave, spotlight:megatron and the two spotlight: kups are fantastic. Death of Optimus Prime is top drawer stuff too.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I really enjoy the energetic feel of his stuff, although Milne riffing off Roche is arguably the best of all worlds.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I love pretty much evertything Roche has done in terms of writing and art, and I do think it's a shame IDW basically pushed him away during the Costa era with that "We've got plenty of good writers, so we only want you to draw" attitude.

On the other hand though, I think his absence these days is very much down to his choice, he's keen to do other things and, as much as his is a fan, he also enjoys drawing and writing humans so it's hardly surprising he's got the itch to do other things (IIRC not being the regular artist on MTMTE was very much his choice).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Red Dave Prime wrote:I disagree completely with you guys on roche art - it's so expressive and full of energy. I think the problem with him is that if he has a tight deadline or a lot of issues his work becomes somewhat rushed (LSOTW starts off great but has a few wavy panels as it goes on). But on the whole I think his style is great. And it clearly brought out the best in Alex Milne too. To my mind spotlight:shockwave, spotlight:megatron and the two spotlight: kups are fantastic. Death of Optimus Prime is top drawer stuff too.
My problem with his art is his constant attempt to mix G1 with Animated/Prime/LAM asthetics. IMHO they don't mix. Figuroa couldn't do it, and Roche also couldn't do it. All the engery and expressiveness can't help if I can't tell who is who and what is going on.

His style in TDoOP and MTMTE #1 was some the worst art since Pat Lee. TLSotW was a mixed bag he drew great dialoge scenes but his fight scenes were a mess.

Spotlight: Shockwave and Spotlight: Kup were nothing special (I didn't remember he did them) and Spotlight: Megatron was the first time I actually work.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:All the engery and expressiveness can't help if I can't tell who is who
Think that's more you than him.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm really struggling to think of any LAM influence on Roche's work (and he's fairly open about both not liking the film look and finding it really hard to draw when he did it for Titan). Plus, he was doing the big square jaw and clean lines thing before Prime and Animated, so it's unfair to say he's riffing on them.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!