What is up with the film industry these days?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/593/593637p1.html

i know people are saying "this is the age of remakes" but seriously, this is getting stupid now, i mean remaking The Wicker Man? With Nicholas Cage in the starring role?? what?!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Tell me about it, 2004 was generally sh#t filmwise, i just hope that 2005 holds more potential with Batman Begins, Star Wars Episode III, The Life Aquatic, Constantine etc :smokin:

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

If Christopher Lee is in it then I'll go and and see it otherwise forget it.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

It's happening all over the place, from movies to music to television. The world is running a little short on original ideas at the moment. Everyone has begun to believe that re-making or re-interpreting previously successful works is just as good as creating something (relatively) original. Just look at Prowl's list: of the four films with 'potential,' two (Batman Begins and Star Wars III) are sequels.

That said, 2004 did give us a few film gems. Million Dollar Baby was outstanding - I suggest you check it out when it's released on DVD.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Vin Ghostal
(Batman Begins and Star Wars III) are sequels.

Batman Begins - Reimagining of Batman, not connected to any other films
Star Wars Episode 3 - Is the sequal of a prequal a sequal, a prequal,a sequal prequal or a prequal sequal....
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Everyone has begun to believe that re-making or re-interpreting previously successful works is just as good as creating something (relatively) original.

I don't think that's it. I think it has more to do with the amount of risk. Why take a risk on a new script, when you can make a sequel to an already successful property? Why give airtime to unknown bands that people may or may not like, when you can just play the songs you know are popular over and over? It's just easier to go with what you know will work than to put yourself on the line.
Shield Strike
Protoform

Post by Shield Strike »

The original Wicker Man is one of my favourite films! " Gently Johnny..", ah a classic film.
The idea of a remake makes me sick, ruins the Britishness of the film.
The film industry today is dominated by hollywood, almost no other type of national cinema is released in theaters in Britain, and the only way national cinema is surviving is through film academics, such as myself.
Has anyone here seen "Once Were Warriors"? " La Haine"? " Irreversible"? I admit i wouldnt have if it wasnt for film studies, but these are three fantastic movies that a mainstream audience will never even realise exist.
Hollywood is killing national cinema, American cinema, French, British, even Asian cinema is suffering under the overwhelming tide of Hollywood trash.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
Batman Begins - Reimagining of Batman, not connected to any other films
Star Wars Episode 3 - Is the sequal of a prequal a sequal, a prequal,a sequal prequal or a prequal sequal....

Yes, split those hairs...you've really hit the point, short-bus...the point is that they are continuations of established movie series, dimwit.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Yes, split those hairs...you've really hit the point, short-bus...the point is that they are continuations of established movie series, dimwit.

yeah but star wars is an on-going saga, Lucas had it planned out hence why he started with Episode IV back in the 70's. As for Batman Begins I'm just pleased that they're making an effort to tidy up the mess left by Batman & Robin. :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

wow, nice way to go all serious man, no need for insults... if id taken your stance i could have just been all technical and called you a retard, because Batman Begins isnt a sequal, hence the name BATMAN BEGINS
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

CP, I think the point is that they are not new ideas. They are the same characters and storylines we've seen already, thus they are NOT ORIGINAL.

And saying Batman Begins isn't a sequel just kind of proves his point. I'd consider it a remake, myself. Either way, it's not a new idea. It's the same thing we've seen already.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Prowl1984
yeah but star wars is an on-going saga, Lucas had it planned out hence why he started with Episode IV back in the 70's.

Yeah, cause Episode I showed thirty years of thought and planning.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Nothing out of the ordinary. Hollywood has *always* been about follow the money. Something makes money...cue bandwagon. Do you have any idea the number of fantasy films in pre-production and production now because of LotR? Remember the "disaster movie" fad? When star wars came out in the 70's and made gobs of money, do you remember the loads of crappy sci-fi knockoffs that immediately followed? Same old story, and its never going to change.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
wow, nice way to go all serious man, no need for insults... if id taken your stance i could have just been all technical and called you a retard, because Batman Begins isnt a sequal, hence the name BATMAN BEGINS

Nicely done Counterpunch :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by BigMaki
CP, I think the point is that they are not new ideas. They are the same characters and storylines we've seen already, thus they are NOT ORIGINAL.

And saying Batman Begins isn't a sequel just kind of proves his point. I'd consider it a remake, myself. Either way, it's not a new idea. It's the same thing we've seen already.

yeah but i was just jokin around, he decided to get all f*cking demented serious on it
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

That said, 2004 did give us a few film gems. Million Dollar Baby was outstanding - I suggest you check it out when it's released on DVD.

Indeed.

While 2004 had a lot of rubbish to filter through it did produce many great films:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind (What am amazing film)
Spider-Man 2
The Incredibles
House of 1000 daggers.
Garden State
Finding Neverland
Saw
Dodgeball
The Bourne Supremacy
Supersize me
Fahrenheit 9/11
Harry Potter 3
mean Girls
Shaun of the dead
Dawn of the dead.
The Passion of the Christ

In the Uk at least Lost in Translation was a 2004 movie and Lord of the Rings took most of it's take in 2004.

Even the disapointing films in 2004 were mearly average rather than bad.

2005 has been truly dire so far. I mean I'm seeing that the "Yes I know I haven't seen it but I know it's total pants" The Pacifier taking the number 1 spot in the US after weeks of dire, dire films dominating the box office and even the "Oscar" films being a poor selection relative to previous years.

The summer isn't looking nearly as strong as last year. Sure we get Bat's and Ep 3 but Batman begins is a unknown quality and recent Starwars film haven't given me any reacon to think Ep3 will be a classic. HHGTTG is the only movie that looks really intresting so far.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind was an amazing film, really original! Spidey2 was ok, better than the first, but im a die-hard fan and i hate the fact that Tobey Maguire's in the role. :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Prowl1984
Spidey2 was ok, better than the first, but im a die-hard fan and i hate the fact that Tobey Maguire's in the role. :smokin:

Why exectly?

i thought he played the part perfectly. Dead on as Peter Parker.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I consider it a good year if there's more than a couple of films released I want to watch...
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Ju-On the Japanese Horror film is a great piece of cinema.