Do You think Marijuana should be legalized?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Blaster_86

Do You think Marijuana should be legalized?

Post by Blaster_86 »

Me and one of my friends were talking in English class today about Pot and if it whould be legalized. While I don't do this drug (etleast very often) I feel that it should be legalized for a few reasons.

It would help floundering economies like Canada's with added revenue.

It's not as bad as ciggeretes (though it is still bad for you)

It gives an escape from reality for a short time without a worry of addiction for those who are far to stressed (people like my mother really need this)

I know alot of people are against it and I'm not sure why so express why here.
I know alot of people think legalizing it is a good idea, express why here.
Starscreamsghost

Post by Starscreamsghost »

Ah, this again...

I'm all for legalizing it. I hate to place it as the lesser of two evils, but it's ultimately not as bad for you as smoking, and one could make a case for it not being as bad as drinking. Pot doesn't break up homes the way alcohol does, and it isn't a relationship turn-off (at least not as much so) as cigarettes are.

Come on, people, let's get high!
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

I don't use it, have no real desire to try it, and I don't have a problem with it being legalized. In the US, there are a few sticky issues with the use of hemp for other uses too. We import hemp rope, despite the plant growing as a weed in Kansas. Not allowed to cultivate it, despite having to smoke a ton of the junk to get a high off of that strain.

Legalize it, tax it, lower my taxes :-)
________
S Thunder Single Cartridge Cylinder Cdc X003
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

No!
Denyer

My only...

Post by Denyer »

...reservation is the level of taxation which would be introduced. As it stands, it's far more expensive to buy tobacco for a joint in the UK than it is for the cannabis resin.

Useful stats and info about marijuana:

http://denyer.cjb.net/notebook/hash.htm
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
No!
Yeah, way to enhance the conversation and make this place actually worth visiting.

Anyways, Marijuana, Weed, call it what you will, has less severe side-effects, doesn't lead to "harder" drugs and is less damaging than alcohol.

IMHO there'd be less trouble on the streets if people smoked weed publicly because of it's mellowing effects, unlike alcohol which makes you highly irrational.
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Definetly... Keeping marijuan is a huge waste of gov resources..

Post by Ultrasabre »

USA should legalize it cuz we certainly aint getting anywhere keeping it illigal. It isn't any worse then liquer and cigarettes, and the Gov could be taxing the ever loving S*** out of it!!
These white folks that decide the fate of this nation need to wake up and realize this!!

I am in favor of pumpin less money to keep marijana off the streets, and putting more money/human resouses into keeping the dangerous man-made drugs off the street. That is where the real problem is!!
My grandma Perfelia Gutierrez was Born June 6, 1928 and died March 14, 2002. RIP Grandma.
:(
My simpathy goes out to those who lost loved ones on 9-11-01.

Optimus'
Protoform

Post by Optimus' »

I think we should and every reason why has preatty much already been posted.
I can only be nice to one person today.

TODAY IS NOT YOUR DAY.

Tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Sure it doesnt break up families, but pot would cause massive unemployment. Everyone would be sitting around all day smoking and selling the s**t. I say quit all research for an AIDS cure like Reagan. We will never find one cause the virus mutates everyday., and we waste billions of dollars just to say that we are looking for a cure. This is ridiculous for some one who could have prevented it but was to horny too.
Chase
Protoform

Post by Chase »

you wil probably find that aids is more commonly spread amongst drug users. saying that it could have been prevented had someone been 'less horny' is probably the most moronic thing i have ever heard
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Actually they have traced HIV to monkeys in Africa... need i say more.
Chase
Protoform

Post by Chase »

that you have proof that humans have been having sex with monkeys?
StoneCold Skywarp

Originally posted by Liquid H
you wil probably find that aids is more commonly spread amongst drug users.
I hope by that you don't mean ALL drug users, cos that'd be discrimination ;) and by that token, you're also calling into it alcoholics and smokers.

Now then "Ultimate Weapon" I must say that your views of people that smoke weed is a bit narrow-minded...
Everyone would be sitting around all day smoking and selling the shit.
I know quite a few people that smoke weed most nights and hold down stable, well-respected jobs, oh, and if it was legalised, the only people selling it would be recognised vendors like, for want of a better example, chemists.
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Post by Ultrasabre »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Sure it doesnt break up families, but pot would cause massive unemployment. Everyone would be sitting around all day smoking and selling the shit. I say quit all research for an AIDS cure like Reagan. We will never find one cause the virus mutates everyday., and we waste billions of dollars just to say that we are looking for a cure. This is ridiculous for some one who could have prevented it but was to horny too.
Not true. They are getting closer and closer to a cure for aids.

They figured out that if you cut of the supply of nutrients that the AIDS virus fees on in the blood, than that will kill it!! More research is being done to find out more about this discovery.

I say in bout a year or two, we will have a cure for AIDS!!
My grandma Perfelia Gutierrez was Born June 6, 1928 and died March 14, 2002. RIP Grandma.

Chase
Protoform

Post by Chase »

i meant heroin addicts, crack heads, the kind of people that give drugs are really bad name...

back ON topic, im all for legalisation, my dad smokes it all the time, hes a totally normal person, has worked very hard all his life, whilst the nicotine in the tobacco he uses certainly isnt good for him, i think the calming effect has stopped him from having some sort of heart attack
StoneCold Skywarp

Originally posted by Liquid H
whilst the nicotine in the tobacco he uses certainly isnt good for him, i think the calming effect has stopped him from having some sort of heart attack
There's actually less tobacco goes into your average joint that in a "roll-up" cigarette.

Probably the worst thing about them is the lack of filter, although "roaches" are common place amongst many smokers.

Why isn't weed as harmful as normal cigarettes? Have you seen the amount of chemical crap that gets pumped into cigarettes?!
Ultrasabre
Protoform

Post by Ultrasabre »

I hear more deaths coming from Drinking, cigarttes, Heroin, and cocain waaaayyyy more then I hear about deaths from smoking weed.

I mean how many times do you hear "Man gets so high he beats wife and kid to death". I never have. Yet I hear stories like"Man gets so drunk he kills his family" all the time. Or "man get so drunk he puts baby in microwave because it was crying to much." It makes no sense that our gov legalizes liquer but keeps weed illigal.

Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

I've long been a proponent of legalizing it...the only reason it's illegal is cuz of the tobacco companies and the resultant fear of competition.

It has too many positives to be kept illegal.
Chase
Protoform

Post by Chase »

the only negative i can think of is that you smoke a joint and get the munchies, do this too much and you get well fat! this happened to my mate mark, or piemaster zero as we now call him :D
Quick Switch

Post by Quick Switch »

Well...call this old fashioned, but I think there is more at stake here than just the various lobby movements keeping that filth out of stores.

What will happen if it is legalized? Sure, people might stop doing drugs illegally...but what then? Isn't the prospect of even more drug addicts a bit hard to stomach for legislators? I would think so.

That's my concern. What if the problem of drug use got worse if legalization took place?
-------
Sig courtesy of the Sig Master, Skywarp!
-------
Former AWF Tag Team Champion
Co-Hardcore Champion (x 2)
Member of Pulp Faction!
-------
TF Archive RPG Co-Player of the Year
-------