• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2018-09-09, 05:30 PM   #1261
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

LEGO Voltron 21311 - Over 2,300 pieces. So far, I've built the red lion (2 bags of parts), blue lion (3 bags), and sword & shield (1 bag). The green, yellow, and black lions are 2, 3, and 5 bags. It's great so far.

Usually, I'll try to make some progress building the thing on the box without looking at the directions. When I got the carousel a few months ago, I built all the animals on my own, and used the instructions for the main body, sicne I didn't want to screw up the crank mechanism that turns it. Here, I went straight to the instructions. They put a lot more thought into structural integrity than I would've figured out from exterior shots.

Edit: I've finished the whole thing, and it looks great. Voltron has articulation at the shoulders, elbows, and wrists, one axis at each point. The shoulder joints are ball joints connected to a gear, to support the weight of the arm. The elbows and wrists are each a pair of ball joints, like that giant Construct-Bot Grimlock's ankles. Voltron can also turn his head side to side almost as much as a person can.

The black lion partsforms at the hips and shoulder (5 parts total) to become Voltron's torso. He's designed well enough that nothing comes off inadvertently. The shoulders are color coded on the inside so you don't swap them by mistake. This isn't too bad for converting to Voltron, but does lmit the black lion's articulation. Also, the black lion's forelegs just kind of hang there, and don't fold out of sight at all.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2018-09-09 at 11:15 PM.
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-10, 08:51 PM   #1262
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Ooh I want to get that. I've always been curious about the original Voltron Lion combiner since I saw one at a friend's house about 30 years ago or so, but they're silly expensive. Seen some reviews of it and it looks awesome, so the Lego one looks like it'll scratch that itch.

But that'll have to wait as I used some vouchers from work to pick up Lego Technic 42078 Mack Anthem. I've always wanted one of the massive Technic sets, and at over 2,500 pieces, this'll do the job, especially at 40 off at Argos. Built the cab (took me 6 hours..!). It's bloody ace. Massive, but not unwieldy and I like that its pretty closed up. And it has a steering wheel in the cab that actually does the steering, which seems to be a novelty on a lot of Technic sets these days. Started work on the trailer, which has all the clever stuff with lifty bits and a lockable container. B-model also looks cool, but bit annoyed its bloody PDF download instructions for that. BOoooooOOOoooooOOOOooooo

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 02:52 PM   #1263
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

More old Star Wars toys at discount prices!

POTF AT-AT pilot
POTF AT-ST pilot
POTF TIE Fighter pilot
POTF Zuckuss
POTF LOM-4
POTF R2-D2
OTC C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
But that'll have to wait as I used some vouchers from work to pick up Lego Technic 42078 Mack Anthem.
Remember 5571? I had forgotten it wasn't even a Technic model. It was one of those sets I'd drool over in the catalogs - so much that I even had a dream about it once and boy was I upset when I woke up

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 12:50 AM   #1264
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Ooh I want to get that. I've always been curious about the original Voltron Lion combiner since I saw one at a friend's house about 30 years ago or so, but they're silly expensive. Seen some reviews of it and it looks awesome, so the Lego one looks like it'll scratch that itch.
The original Voltron's wings had a tendency to break off, so complete ones are pretty rare. The LEGO one's much bigger. The Green and Red lions are Voyager sizes, Blue and Yellow are almost Leader size, and Black's even bigger. The star on LEGO Voltron's belt is eye level to a CW combiner.

There's some design compromises in the Black lion, but not enough to make him dissapointing. The parts forming for transformation isn't too bad, since it's designed well enough to searate only where it should, without any other pieces coming off. The wings don't fold down very flat in lion mode. The lion neck is long, since it can't collapse like the original.

Voltron's face isn't concealed in lion mode. It just forms the jaw. Volton's eyes are visible from the sides and underneath, and the jaw is blck and grey instead of white. When I was making my 7" LEGO Voltrons a few years ago, I got stuck on that and eventually just stuck a blue tile under the jaw. I feel better about that now, seeing the pros had the same issue.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 04:57 PM   #1265
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

The compromises you describe sound fair and the pictures / reviews I've seen make this a fun looking set, so definitely one to pick up when I have the cash.

@Tetsuro, yeah the Mack Anthem is very reminiscent of those old Model Team sets (which still look incredible). Speaking of which, I finally got this built and it's awesome. I love the winch arms and loading/ unloading the crate from the trailer. It's a really great looking model and fun to play with. Probably not one of the more complicated Technic sets out there, in terms of what it can actually do, but a great education in construction and how things work if nothing else. It'll probably be a while before I can face dismantling this to the try the B-model (which also looks awesome) though!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 06:17 PM   #1266
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego City 60191 Arctic Exploration Team.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #1267
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Lego Batman Movie 70920 Egghead Mech Food Fight.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is online now   Reply With Quote