Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

Post by Notabot »

I liked Ad-Aware a few years ago because it was fast, simple, and did what it was supposed to do. 2007 and 2008 versions turned into bloated beasts that took more than a half hour to do a "quick" scan, and it caused conflicts with OneCare. Just for kicks, I went to their website today and I see they've got the new "Anniversary Edition." It's everything I used to like about Ad-Aware! A scan took 2 and a half minutes! It doesn't make OneCare angry anymore. You can disable the constant monitoring things.
If you used to like Ad-Aware, give it a shot.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

What's the detection rate like? I've been steering clear of Ad-Aware and Spybot on other people's systems in favour of Spyware Terminator as an on-demand scanner.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I was using Spybot for a while since it didn't interfere, and it didn't pick up anything. Ad-Aware's got a great detection level. It almost always picks up something, but the "ignore" function is easy enough to use. When I used it the first time here, it took out my hasbro.com cookie, but left TFA and Ebay cookies alone. I'm really happy with it.
skywarp408
Protoform

Post by skywarp408 »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Notabot wrote:It almost always picks up something,
To my way of thinking, false positives are a strike against software -- cookies aren't software, and the place for their control is the browser and any plugins (eg, Flash) that exhibit similar tracking behaviour.

There are similar issues with anti-virus and anti-spyware packages picking up any executables compressed with certain packers as suspicious.