Humans In Transformers...oh And Aliens In General For Good Measure

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

Humans In Transformers...oh And Aliens In General For Good Measure

Post by Aardvark »

The title alone induces many a shiver in ye spine but anyhoo what is it about humans in the Transformers universe. Why are they hated so much? Is it that generally (Save the likes of the greats such as Bomber Bill or Joey Slick) they're just awful filler, handled terribly, devoid of personality or is it fans just don't like humans distracting them from all the hot robot action?

In terms of g1/g2 comics, what really annoys me isn't humans like Buster or Spike, its the plebs (Including Ms Beller) who have super powers or somehow are able to be a threat to the transformers. Having humans like that is alright to do once or twice but when it gets to the stage when Circuit Breaker vitally helps them in destroying bloody Unicron you can't help but cringe.
Its nice to have a good human perspective but we rarely get it.

The cast of the current comics don't do anything for me nor do they annoy me (which is in general the best description humans every get in transformers) its just the sheer amount of attention given to them.

Aliens can work but once again it rings that same though over and over through my head, "Why the bloody hell are they fighting scraplets or Big Top instead of the Decepticons, if they must do a ludicrous story at least make the Decepticons the protagonists. Even in shockers like Carwash of Doom RAAT's ass are involved.

Aliens can work mind you; Zabra was an enjoyable character and he didn't give me that feeling of just being a plot device.

As for the kids in Armada…
Anyway you get the gist of the thread...discuss etc
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

What I'd love to see Evolutions do is "What if the Ark had crashed on another alien planet?"- You could have good pulpy fun with them interacting with a tottaly different culture. Sadly I fear the focus is likely to be more on "Look at TF's change into [insert historical period] era stuff!".
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Scout

Post by Scout »

I thought Sparkplug and Spike were okay, and Buster in the comic too. The females in G1 drove me nuts, they were gimmicky and token.

The newer series I don't mind so much because I just take them for different lines. Seemed at times the designers were trying too hard to incorporate them, but human-transformer interaction and reliance gives audiences something to identify with.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
What I'd love to see Evolutions do is "What if the Ark had crashed on another alien planet?"- You could have good pulpy fun with them interacting with a tottaly different culture. Sadly I fear the focus is likely to be more on "Look at TF's change into [insert historical period] era stuff!".
I agree entirely.

People generally dislike squishies because they've been badly written, or couldn't identify with them. I certainly didn't as a kid.

The Neo-Knights do rather spoil On The Edge Of Extinction.
ironhide_lives
Protoform

Post by ironhide_lives »

Originally posted by Scout
I thought Sparkplug and Spike were okay, and Buster in the comic too. The females in G1 drove me nuts, they were gimmicky and token.

The newer series I don't mind so much because I just take them for different lines. Seemed at times the designers were trying too hard to incorporate them, but human-transformer interaction and reliance gives audiences something to identify with.

I thought Carly and Fairborne were okay if not a little over the top (ecspecially Melissa Fairborne) but so were alot of things from the old G1 toon. All in all I've always thought that the humans in the TFU had alot of potential (with the exception of that Armada bunch) and could still be used properly with the right direction.
I know I'm in the minority but I really like what Simon Furman's doing with the human cast he created for Infiltration and beyond. Verity doesn't bug me and I see alot of potential in the character. But hey that's just me.