Transformers are too damn violent apparently...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Wildfire Herald

Transformers are too damn violent apparently...

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Or so says this article.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/24/news/co ... /index.htm

The thing that kills me is that they went as far as buying an Armada Thrust, but apparently couldn't bring themselves to unfold the instructions.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Beat me to it.

At least I got it on the main page.

And this REALLY is dumb.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

About "The Hulk" toy, the group said the stuffed green toy looks "friendly and harmless as the Jolly Green Giant but is based on a PG-13 movie about rage."
Oh no, help! Not... Rage! Heh, I vote that BigMaki be known as Rage from now on. All in favour?
The Matrix" video game is rated T for teens, yet is based on an R-rated adult movie, the group said. "This game features a "sniper mode" and allows players to "ride shotgun, shooting from passenger's seat," it said.
After reading that article, I almost wish I had a 'sniper mode'.

And considering that these so called clever adults can't even properly transform a toy designed for eight year olds... They really shouldn't be giving advice about... Well, anything really. Hell, they shouldn't even be let out of the house unsupervised.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

Maybe that's what they're afraid of? toys that look scary if not assembled properly?

stupid "childrens" groups... I fail to see exactly what they're hoping to accomplish, other than making hot air over things they really don't understand...
KillTheKids
Protoform

Post by KillTheKids »

Its obvious that the reason Thrust was messed up like that was to show the "violent mangling" gimmick of this line of toys. Transformers- turn from robot mode to brutally slaughtered mode!
Also, note how on the list the only toys named are a beast wars figure and game, yet they show Thrust.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
Oh no, help! Not... Rage! Heh, I vote that BigMaki be known as Rage from now on. All in favour?

Hey, I thought Mirage was known as Rage. Can't be cribbing on the man's style.

I really love that third alt-mode they've found for Thrust. Crash mode, maybe?

Toys for boys have always been violent. How many years have they been producing G.I.Joe figures? Hell, how long have they been making those cheap plastic army men? BB guns? We've always had violent toys, yet it seems as if people who have nothing better to do with their time need to find something to complain about. Soon enough they'll be threatening to get playing cards banned since some of the face cards are armed...
KillTheKids
Protoform

Post by KillTheKids »

Its natural for us to play with violent toys. If they didn't make I Joes or TFs or toy guns, I would've just picked up a block of wood and called it a gun. People have had violent toys forever, and they turn out fine. (Save for killers, who have mental issues). These watchdog groups are so dumb...
-+-Unicr0nus-+-
Protoform

Post by -+-Unicr0nus-+- »

Originally posted by KillTheKids
Its natural for us to play with violent toys. If they didn't make I Joes or TFs or toy guns, I would've just picked up a block of wood and called it a gun. People have had violent toys forever, and they turn out fine. (Save for killers, who have mental issues). These watchdog groups are so dumb...

EXACTLY, well put.

How did hunter's and gatherer's 'gather' their food? Through violence. It's a primal thing.

Do they really believe that any murderer/convict of any kind turned that way because of a certain violent toy they played with? Or that cool popular violent movie they saw? If you get f0cked up by this stuff, means you're already f0cked up. I squirm at a 2 second shot of surgery on 'ER,' but I love to play video games that incorporate violence as your mean to the end pretty much - sure it's the quests/levels/missions but what are you doing to finish those missions usually?

What about someone like Osama and his religious followers? Did he watch too much X-Men as a child? What about maybe that water gun he used to play with? Are those what seriously f0cked this guy up? Toys? Games? Movies? Just thinking about it makes me want to laugh. That there are people out there that believe that something as simple as a form of entertainment creates 'crazy' people.

Put it this way, if you thought that Jax finisher - the one where he rips someone's arms off - was so awesome you just had to do it. You were f0cked up from the get go.
Place Holder For New Sig
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

see my reply on the mainpage...

Idiots to the left, idiots to the right...

No one has the right to impose their thoughts on other people. PERIOD. You can inform people, but when you PUSH your **** on people, that crosses the line! If it were religion, people would be dead over it... if not dead, then hurt or being sued. And I agree on thrust... if the idiots can't even transform him, they have NO business in addressing problems caused by those products. As far as I'm concerned, I go with the idea man fears what he doesn't understand. So if they dun understand it, they automatically assume it's "bad" or "evil"... see, THIS is why we have prejudice and whatnot. So I'll end with this. If you dun understand it, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT! PERIOD!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

"2 fast 2 furious die cast cars"?!?

since when are TOY CARS violent?
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

The media always has a stupid list like this every year. I don't think this is gonna make a kid kill someone. First off the kid has got have serious problems with his parents.Plus companies like cnn are more dangerous for a kid watching it then cartoons, they try to make the people fear everything. Plus not all toys are marketed for kids.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
Plus not all toys are marketed for kids.

Exactly!
I mean how many 8 years old are going to want to buy a toy based the classic Universal monsters from 20-50s?
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

More stupidity aimed at taking the enjoyment out of everything. I'm surprised religion doesn't come into this somewhere... Speaking of which, has the Reverend Rose unveiled his list of this holiday season's most disturbing toys? Last year's winner was the WWE Finishing Moves Lita/Bubba Ray two-pack BTW, because Bubba has his tongue out and is on the receiving end of a Litacanranna. Yet not one of the 'Tortured Souls' figures made the list...

Seriously, people just do this to suck all the enjoyment out of... well, I think everything is about right. Seriously though; I know of few people who actually want to buy any Hulk toys. Heck, I get Toy Biz stuff by the bucket-ful and I refuse to touch them on the basis they were badly designed are just shoddy repaints. Then again, most kids aren't as disearning about their none-too-jolly green giants...

But why pick on TFs? Wrestling gets persecuted a hell of a lot for a sports-entertainment industry which 'isn't real'. G.I.Joe carries patriotic messages, but with the effect (in some instances) of romanticising or trivialising conflict. Transformers are a purely fantasy property; the idea that someone could take it so seriously as to say they are too violent is ludicrous. But then, hey... that's the unenlightened masses for ya....
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Viewfind

Post by Viewfind »

Hahaha.

The thing about the hulk is the best.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
Plus not all toys are marketed for kids.

http://www.itswalky.com/shortpacked/d/20030303.html
KillTheKids
Protoform

Post by KillTheKids »

ROFLMAO
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I say we react violently to this article! [/Simpsons response]
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Died anyone ever attempt to do an annual black list of the most unproductive activists groups?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Died anyone ever attempt to do an annual black list of the most unproductive activists groups?

What's the point? PETA would win every year.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Originally posted by Warcry
What's the point? PETA would win every year.

Probably.