Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Grayfox
Protoform

Transformers: Drift Mini-Series

Post by Grayfox »

News from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Drif ... 721&sr=1-6
Transformers: Drift (Paperback)
~ Shane McCarthy (Author), Lee Ferguson (Author)
Price: $17.99

Product Description
What was it that caused one of the Decepticon's most ruthless soldiers to turn his back on the Decepticon army and what is the ancient secret that lies hidden deep within an alien planet? All this and more as the origin of the newest Autobot, Drift, is finally revealed!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Economy of Storytelling Rule #7: If the audience knows the scene, they don't need to be shown it it.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Bloody.

So basically it's Spotlight Drift, but more bland, more expensive and longer. I'm betting that it's a re-hash of Dinobot and/or Carnivac.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

McCarthy could surprise us........

In the high-intensity world of Cybertronian racing, there ws one who raced harder and cornered better than them all. Drift. Due to his general attitude, he sided with the Decepticons when the war started, becoming one of their fiercest, most badass warriors ever.

Until one day.....

Drift: -staring in shock- "You..... you....."

Megatron: "Blew up your trophy collection, yes. It was feeding your collasal ego, you sword-wielding fan fantasy!"

Drift: "Well, frack you, Megatron. I'm joining the Autobots. They at least respect things like winning and racing and stuff!"

And thus was a legend born.........

Okay, I admit it's probably not going to be quite like that. At least, I hope it's not going to be like that. I haven't really read anything McCarthy's written(aside possibly from his early Batman stuff. When the comics go away from the local supermarket, you have problems....)
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ancient secrets hidden at the heart of planets always work out well for TF comics. At least in the sense of either the title being cancelled, the author being "Moved sideways" or the entire company collapsing soon after. The big question is who at IDW forgot to change the locks so Shame couldn't get in the office/shed anymore?

I hope what causes the fall out is an argument between Drift's sword and Megatron's fusion cannon.

Oh, and if this is all in the past it'll have already made the first "All IDW comics in chronological order" thing outdated almost before it's even published.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

104 pages? Thats 5 issues right?

Would it be worth a wager that the secret is somehow tied to metroplex? didnt he have a big secret too?

Aren't there too many question marks in my post?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Red Dave Prime wrote:104 pages? Thats 5 issues right?
Might the page count be taking into account extras and the cover gallery as well? I can see there being stuff plugging the toy in there as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't Amazon pagecounts usually include bits like the physical cover, frontispiece and so on anyway?
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

Now Amazon says that Alex Milne will draw this.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ah, McCarthy and Milne. Doing a [presumably] 4 issue mini about Drift.

It's the dream.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ahahahahhahah. Milne.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

XD

Don't forget the part about the dark secret. Maybe they will reveal that Autobots are not the good guys we always believed them to be, because they used to kill puppets and kittens.
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

Small preview from Ryall blog:

Since Amazon.com has a listing up for the TRANSFORMERS: DRIFT TPB, it's not exactly a big secret that we're going to be doing a miniseries based around the character. The listing also details the creators, writer Shane McCarthy and artist Alex Milne (along with colorist Josh Perez), but doesn't show any cover image. So let's show a little bit here--the cover for issue 1 by Milne and Perez, and page one of issue 1 as well. The 4-issue series will be shipping bi-weekly in August and September.
Is that Sunstreaker on the cover?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Good God that looks absocockinglutely dreadful.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Looks like RID Megatron and the Strike Noire Gundam had a sex-fest and produced this thing.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Why does everyone look like a Gundam? That's even worse than the Ongoing look...

Normally the random G2 Decepticons in the background would make me smile, but (a) Skyjack and Ransack should be on Garrus 9 and (b) they look like Gundam, so I want them to die. With another creative team I'd put (a) down to this happening before they were captured, or after Wreckers, but with McCarthy and Milne I just figure one of them put them in as 'Easter Eggs' without bothering to check.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm guessing Drift being an otaku means he only fights bad guys that are a blend of every animu cliche imaginable mixed up in a big blender.

This is going to be a car-crash of a series. On the other hand, at least it'll be funny. Unintentionally funny, for sure.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I think Sunstreaker's head is there on the cover.

And despite their best efforts, I still want to get the Drift figure. The character might be a royal flaming twit, but the figure itself looks cool.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Terome

Post by Terome »

No, there's definitely not enough crotch on that page.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Warcry wrote:That's even worse than the Ongoing look...
I just don't think that is possible. This looks very cliche and Japanese, sure, but not worse than the Ongoing. At least not to my eyes. I'm sure the story will be full of every old cliche you can throw in a comic as well, but that Drift toy coming out soon still looks badass :)