Boris Johnson: Mayor of London

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Boris Johnson: Mayor of London

Post by Jetfire »

Yay, that corrupt, arrogant wanker is out, finally and we have a likelable Mayor for the first time in 6 years (we loved Kenback then didn't we). Nice to see New Labour get a bit of a shock seeing as they ahve been aggogant and dictating how wrong the general public has bene for a while.

I was hoping this could be a bit of a shock and we get the New Labour the public really want. Unfortuantly I watched Ruth Kelly on newnight (one of the most useless ministers in all 8 jobs or so she has screwed up) just sated that the public wasn't voting against Labour but just want the credit crunch to be over , ignorin the clips that were played with the old voter core of Labour in wales, old working class types sadly voting BNP because Labour don't do anythign for them these daysa nd would never vote Labour again. A worrying trend there.

Back on topic, I think Boris will be a bit of fresh air, Ken had become divisive in power (greeting terroist supporters but slagging off Jews) and corrupt (lying to cover up for his mate who ribbed charties of public money) and claiming crime was at 1950's levels despite 2007 having as many murders as the first 7 years of the 50's.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

as a northener this dosent effect me a lot but i thinks its inportant to take an interest in politics anywere.

labour have almost definately had it and the next government will probably be the cons its a shame to see the BNP voted in but this is all postmodernism in effect so labour were bound to destroy themselves from the inside out as better conditions for the working man would mean better pay and so expensive labour and so greater reliance on overseas production and so less workers in factories and more in the service industry and so a decline in the working class and upper class and so the middle class grows thus moving a way from the working class values of labour so labour become more central like the libs and cons and so the old fashioned working class who havnt bothered to embrace late modernity and still try and get jobs in a declining industry feel left behind by labour thus go to the exteme facist veiws of the BNP (whom i hate so so mutch)

i dont mind boris as mayor (as i said it dosent matter mutch to people in hull) i think hes wonerfully eccentric and id vote for his quirky character alone as ken is a bit of an arse.

lib dems have won my home city of kingston upon hull but i live just enough outside the city so as to fall under he durisdiction of the east riding of yorkshire and i think the cons still hold there. the libs have had a bumpy ride in hull especially after scrapping free school meals which is a big deal in a city that hasnt got a very wealthy population but i think people just voted for the familiarity i'll have to check th local paper in order to be sure

also it sounds a bit derogetry when you use the term working class types most of my family are working class and whist ive achieved some degree of social mobility (i dont let social class define my identity as it is an archaic system which can unfairly set your path in life and effect how people see you) its still my background and im slightly offended but im sure you didnt mean anything by it and wouldnt want to falsely acuse you.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Pellentesque posuere pede placerat lorem. Praesent adipiscing metus. Donec sapien dolor, vehicula et, fermentum in, ultrices nec, quam. Aenean ac leo. Maecenas pulvinar consequat massa. Maecenas magna ante, interdum sit amet, ornare a, elementum eget, felis. Quisque luctus metus non nisi. Etiam ultricies. Integer faucibus euismod augue. Quisque pede tellus, pretium egestas, eleifend et, consequat eu, elit. Donec blandit, lorem in blandit scelerisque, erat mauris mattis diam, sed elementum mauris arcu ac purus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Donec sapien magna, porta eu, aliquet vitae, suscipit vel, sapien. Proin rutrum, nulla vitae imperdiet laoreet, leo mauris faucibus leo, vel lacinia eros mi nec odio. Sed a elit. Maecenas eu lorem. Integer non nibh.

Vestibulum aliquam imperdiet orci. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Donec accumsan porta est. Etiam adipiscing, augue vitae egestas scelerisque, ante dui pulvinar massa, a adipiscing ante sapien a neque. Morbi quis lorem. Sed ut nibh eget mi vulputate convallis. Nam dolor nibh, commodo eget, pharetra condimentum, rutrum eget, diam. Praesent semper elementum velit. Fusce enim. Integer blandit placerat lectus. Aliquam erat volutpat. In at justo. Nam lorem felis, aliquam non, pharetra nec, posuere eget, sem.

What?
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

are you saying im talking jibberish?

i mean it was pretty long winded but its fairly simple to make sense of (please dont take that as me calling u stupid cos im not)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

No, I'm saying Dan can't bloody spell...

Am particularly curious about the ribbed charties.

edit:

Nothing to do with this or this?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

SO what does the London Mayor actually do then, other than give a haven to people who have lost all chance of political advancement within their own parties that is?
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

they just decide stuff for london which just makes the news cos its london

i see it as kind of a cameo role in politics
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

From what I've seen the London Mayor fannies around looking important and getting his face plastered in the press surrounding any bid to get a major sporting event held in London.

Don't think Boris will be much of an improvement, Ken may be slimy but Boris is an imbecile.

Andy
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Slimy imbecile vs entertaining imbecile is pretty much how I see that one.
inflatable dalek

It is looking as if Boris is going to be a bit of a straw man with most of the actual decisions he makes being given from Tory Towers, they're detirmined to make him work as Mayor so as to show they can run the country. Course, that is based on the entirely false assumption people outside of London give a toss and are watching.

I really don't know who I'll vote for in the next election if our independent MP retires. I can't stand Cameron, and I'll never vote for Brown after this whole ten pence fiasco has besnt me over a table and liberally rogered me. Hey Gord, nice of you to say it's a mistake, how about ****ing reversing the choice as well?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

electro girl

Post by electro girl »

if you want a political prick look no further than carl minns the lib dem leader of hull city council.

if you are going to abolish free school meals dont do it in some where like hull especially withour very high teenage and single parent population

the press said that hull was the forgoten city of the 2007 floods but we wernt our press and citizens just made the most noise (other areas had worse damage i think) even so councilor minns could have at least made a token gesture.

if he messes up again there will be no end of complaints about him but hull votes for familiarity and with labour losing their way a bit and the city been pretty anti conservative they had almost no competition so the people of hull have effectively made their own mess
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

inflatable dalek wrote: ...ten pence fiasco...
Ok sorry guys but I;ve been out of the country for ages and haven't recently had the energy to follow international politics. So, what has that fool done now?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek

Short version: Times are hard so taxes had to go up. But rather than putting up both tax bands by a small and equal amount to spread the misery about fairly he lowered the 22 pence rate to 20 pence and then completely abolished the 10 pence starting rate. Or in other words, better paid people are now paying slightly less tax whilst poorer people are paying twice as much. This has not left many very happy.

Annoyingly though despite it being condemned by a lot of MP's none seem to be saying it should be put back, just there should be better help pakcages for the worst off. And as that category is never seen to include single men living alone with no children I'm still screwed.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

inflatable dalek wrote:
Annoyingly though despite it being condemned by a lot of MP's none seem to be saying it should be put back, just there should be better help pakcages for the worst off. And as that category is never seen to include single men living alone with no children I'm still screwed.

Indeed. My big gripe and big disapointment with New Labour is they aren't really out to make thinsg better for those in need, they simply have a different, more socially acceptable set of predjuices which they claimed as social concern and their belief that they should grab as much money to spend as possibly so they can spend it. Even if it's just for bureaucracy, waste, pet projects or their mates. The Lib Dems are just as bad hese days and I'm finding myself in a posistion where the relatively left leaning Cameron seems the best of the bunch. Remember when the Tories were crap and the source of all evils? If they get in next time lets hope those wankers from the 80's are all dead and thye might be quite decent.
inflatable dalek

Still, its lucky we're not in the middle of a huge global economic crisis that's going to make what money we do have left over after the tax man gets at it worth even less. Or that the extra 10% I'm giving the Government won't be making a marked improvement to public services because millions of pounds we've already paid in tax is sitting trapped in Iceland. Yup, very lucky neither of those situations will be happening.