DVD burning/copying questions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

DVD burning/copying questions

Post by Ackula »

Hello....

I have just obtained a brand new computer, which has a DVD burner. I have no knowledge about how to use it. Can someone please recommend to me some really good software to download for free and use for copying DVDs and also for burning existing avi and mpeg files to DVD to watch on my DVD player? Any help at all will be appreciated..especially in how to exactly do all this :swirly:

Also if you are as clueless as me about the subject, please do not even post any reply to this thread just to see your huge signature with a one line response, kthnxbai!!1
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Try AVS DVD Player. It's actually pretty good. It's also Shareware.
http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/download.aspx
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm sorry, but are you trying to be a total idiot on purpose? I ask for an application for burning/copying DVDs and you link me to a DVD player application that doesn't do any of the above.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Kali wrote:I'm sorry, but are you trying to be a total idiot on purpose? I ask for an application for burning/copying DVDs and you link me to a DVD player application that doesn't do any of the above.
How about actually installing the program? You can in fact rip DVDs and burn them as long as you have the right hardware.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Where does it say that on the website you just linked to? Please direct me because I do not see it listed as a feature.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Okay. Wrong program. http://cdburnerxp.se/

Try that one. I have too many programs on this rig. I knew ONE of them was it.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

At least you're not too good to admit when you are a **** up :p
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Are any of these programs capable of burning .mkv files onto disc (And playable on a media-supported DVD player)? I downloaded cdburnerxp and even though they can play on my PC alright, they apparently don't exist when I try and play them on anything else. (Yes, I am a newbie when it comes to something like this).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

DVDFlick probably will. It uses a generic back-end (FFMPEG) to handle video decoding.

http://www.dvdflick.net/features.php

I recommend you tick "Create ISO image" under Project Settings > Burning and test the resultant disc image in VLC (mount it as a virtual drive with something like Virtual CloneDrive) before burning with ImgBurn or similar.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

If you can get ahold of the Roxio DVD set, it should do it.
Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Thanks guys. (Somebody suggested I just tear the file into little mini files and create an .avi file and pick my own sound files to burn. But I'd rather keep the thing whole, if you know what I mean [Besides all that stuff goes way over my head]. :))
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Ok Denyer....so I've been getting by with a program that actually came on this computer called Roxio. But today I tried to copy a DVD and got a message telling me it was copy protected and that it couldn't copy it. I know there are programs to rip the DVD to my HD and take away the copy protection..but what program is a good one for this..and more importantly can you point me in the direction of a step by step guide on coping a copy protected DVD?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found a working combo with 1 click DVD copy + DVD43 running in the background to decode the protection. It has worked great so far in coping 2 copy protected DVDs, I have a feeling this combo will work out fine for me at this point.
Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Time to sound like a complete newb. When you rip a DVD, does it alter the disc in any way, or does it simply just make a copy its contents?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

No damage. Just makes a copy.
Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Cool, thanks! (Any good Rippers out there?)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

You'll probably want to run the rip through something like DVD Shrink and/or build an ISO with ImgTool Classic before burning the results with something like ImgBurn.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Time Lord wrote:Time to sound like a complete newb. When you rip a DVD, does it alter the disc in any way, or does it simply just make a copy its contents?
Depending on the size of the DVD in question in comparison to the writable media you are using, it may require a small amount of compression, or removing the special features to fit it on the writable media of your choice. Other than that it is a perfect 1:1 copy, unless like I said you have to compress or cut some things out.

I would highly recommend getting 1 Click DVD Copy if you are not very technical, as it makes it really easy to rip and copy with just one step. You will also need a supplemental application to counteract the copywrite protection, however, if you try copying a copy protected disc, a google search can yield good results for one of those.
Time Lord
Protoform

Post by Time Lord »

Okay, thanks for the tips. :)