So, what's going on with you?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

So, what's going on with you?

Post by Dead Man Wade »

It's been a while since I've posted regularly, and I've just been curious as to what you people are up to? Like, in life and junk. For a long time, you people were like family, so I want to hear all about it.

I see Hound and Sades are married. Has Cliffy been revealed to be a foul-tempered yet strangely patient spambot yet? TELL ME.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Currently plinking away at a custodial job at my local university for access to the tuition waivers they offer to any staff. Have already gotten six credit hours of graduate work done so far this year, and am working on another six this semester. It's made the schedule... busy, to say the least. Yesterday I talked to the lady that coordinates the program for alternate certification for teachers (for people who already have a bachelor's degree in a subject area other than education, basically), and found out that my GRE scores were high enough to be admitted to the program. So, next spring I can start looking for jobs teaching English in public school and start working on the 15 hour MA in secondary education that I need for certification, and then after that finish up my MA in English for my subject area certification. Then I can start looking at options for PhD programs so that I can teach at the university level. Such is the plan for the next five years or so, since you asked. :)

I do like the sociological angle to doing the cleaning, though. You're invisible to a lot of people... you really get to see who's judgmental about occupation. I'm quietly fascinated by it.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Been steadily working as a Process Chemist for the past 4.5 years, which has been much better than when I was in grad school doing my PhD. So far it's been great and fascinating, but frustrating at times as well. Have to take the good with the bad though, otherwise I wouldn't be employed. R&D work is like getting punched in the face day in day out, then you finally getting to land one haymaker for the win. Lots of work but a great payoff when that finally comes through.

Otherwise, been busy with the family - the wife and two yung uns (4 & 2) keep me busy when I'm not at work!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Tomorrow the tenth colleague in my department leaves since I started there about five years ago, which is a pretty poor retention rate for an audit function however you look at it. I've been meaning to add to that total for at least a couple of years. The IT and fraud angles are quite interesting, but most of the day-to-day is just losing more and more faith in humanity.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Um, moved to a different country, was looking for a job for some time, got various temp jobs at the local University, went from lodging house to lodging house due to crappy people, had a crap of a year from last May to around this April, got a proper secure job, managed to get my own flat and I'm looking for higher education distance learning options.

All's well ;)

Oh and, if it wasn't clear, DESPERATELY wanting and waiting for the MP Magnus at the end of this year.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Still working for one of our glorious privatised Water Utilities, which I have really enjoyed since I joined about 3 years ago. You wont believe it because of the odd headline about huge profits, being a monopoly industry and tax avoidance shenanigans, but overall Privatisation of the water industry has largely been a positive thing.

Had a change in roles about April time this year to help the firm out with the massive backlog of budget plan renewals and subsequent leakage investigations. Currently have around 2-300 ongoing leakage investigations and a slightly lower level of cases where these whizzy new smart devices we've fitted to meters have stopped working (usually because they've been knocked off or tampered with by customers - not that we can ever outright say that!). Also end up with the odd supply query and whatnot. Been involved with writing some new working practices and put forward recommendations on a way forward so we don't get in this mess again, so we'll see how that goes...

Had a few days off last week in Glasgow where my girlfriend took me to a battle of the bands thing for Hard Rock Hell, a classic rock/metal festival that is the sister event to Hammerfest.

Other than that, just the usual, reading comics, listening to swinging tunes, playing with toys and doing the pub :)
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I have a new job in the stock room at a department store and have changed my hairstyle to a pompadour.

I also saw Roland Gift of the Fine Young Cannibals in the pub once.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

As the man himself mentioned this on Twitter a couple of weeks ago I think it's OK to say this publicly:

I have James Roberts email address and have sent him an email like we were actual friends. This has excited me rather a lot.

Other than that, I don't think anything interesting has happened to me in the last 13 years.

Well, not till they find all those dead prostitutes anyway.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Well, not till they find all those dead prostitutes anyway.

All wearing James Roberts face masks...! :D
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've been working as a groundskeeper at a secondary school for a few years now, but recently I did Certificate 4 in Conservation & Land Management and now waiting about 5 months (because they pushed it back) to start the diploma.
Destruction is my specialty
Sades

Post by Sades »

I do housewifey stuff (um, usually), mothery stuff (we have a toddler now, she is my sunshine :swirly: ) and work in a grocery store on Hound's days off. We are happy and life is good. Stressful sometimes, but good.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I moved to Canada and married Sadie and then we had a kid. I work in a grocery store too. and on my days off I play with my daughter while Sades works. Life is pretty good.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I have married neither Hound nor Sades. Life is the dog's bollocks.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!