transformers event at Hollywood

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Angus
Protoform

transformers event at Hollywood

Post by Angus »

I was there. Got there around 7:10am, so I did not get a free toy. Apparently people started to get there around 3am, I'm not doing that for a $10 toy. I was disappointed (and relieved) to find out that they were only giving away protoform toys (both optimus and screamer). If they were giving away toys like Ironhide or Bonecrusher, I would be frustrated, but I wouldn't mind getting a free protoform, specially since I'm not planning to spend any cash on them anyway.

I did get a small poster with prime's head (the "protect" poster), and tickets for the screening. The screening is planned to take place in early or mid June if I understood correctly, and they are going to contact as with the actual date, time and location. The tickets say "admit two", but it also says that seating is not guaranteed, so I'll try to get there early this time. They said they are going to show the entire movie on this screening, not just the four or five unfinished scenes that we've heard about. They said it is going to be first screening of the movie.

The Sector 7 truck is a black cab-over-engine Peterbilt, kind of reminded me of motormaster. It didn't look much like Optimus though, just a little bit. At a time there was a guy with a cowboy hat sitting on the passenger's seat, which reminded me of the Voyager Prime toy. =)

There was a huge line outside the parking lot when I got there. I waited for about an hour in line, before being able to sign in. I signed in (supposedly to get contacted about the tickets for the screening), got a red bracelet (green bracelet for the first 50 lucky bastards who got a free protoform), and was told not take pictures during the "experience" inside the truck.

After signing in, there was another line inside the parking lot, waiting to get inside the truck. While we were in line, protesters showed up holding signs saying stuff like "stop sector 7", "release the information, "the robots are coming", "stop lying to us", etc. As people came out of the truck, the protesters told me not to believe what sector 7 personnel told them. They also kept screaming stuff like "what do we want? truth! when do we want it? now!", or something like that.

A G4 reporter was there, looking for hardcore transformers fans. He asked people about what they find exciting about transfomrers, and what character they are looking forward to see the most. He also asked people to quote lines, sing the them song, and impersonate the transformation sound.

Inside the truck, Man-In-Black-looking actors told us that there have been reports of NBEs in the neighborhood, but that we should not believe that. They start examining people with a flashlight, when they are interrupted by a guy that says the Qatar base was attacked, and that "they had to see this". They ask him not to send in the video (probably because civilians were present), but he does anyway. Its a video of the scorponock scene. The CGI looked great, but some of the scenes were unfininshed (wireframes), which was surprising, since we're less then two months away from launch (and one month away from the screening). I was frustrated that they didn't show any transformation scene. Honestly, I won't really consider scorponok a transformer until I see him transforming out of blackout. Truth is I wasn't really impressed with the scene. The CGI looked great, but it didnt look "'transformers-like ", just a cool robotic scorpion if you know what I mean. The whole scene had that Independence Day/Armaggedon feel, that I'm not really excited about. I'd rather see something more like the X-Men or Spider-Man movies (havent watched spider3 yet though). There was some cheesy humour too, that I felt misplaced, since the guys were being attacked, under heavy fire. I'm looking forward for this film, but this scene turned me off a bit. I'll say more after the actual screening in June.

After we got off the truck, we headed to a table were they cut my armband, and gave me the poster and the movie tickets. No toy for me, unfortunately.

The transformers building looked great, I hadn't seen it yet. But it wasn't really unveiled this morning, it's been there for a while as far as I'm concerned.

I took some pictures, but not too many, my camera ran out of batteries. Sorry... =)
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

The protesters, "men in black",the truck drive, and the attack was apparently staged. How did you know about this event?
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

Originally posted by Skidmark
The protesters, "men in black",the truck drive, and the attack was apparently staged. How did you know about this event?
yes, they were actors, of course. the event was announced by all major tfs related websides, including transformers.com
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Originally posted by Angus
the event was announced by all major tfs related websides, including transformers.com

Really? I never heard a thing about it and I live in Long Beach.:(
TURBO CHARGER

Post by TURBO CHARGER »

If they haven't screened the film yet, how did they guy over at AICN see it already?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32455

ATTENTION: THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR FRIEND, TURBO CHARGER
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

It probably wasn't the finished product.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Post by trilobitepictures »

Originally posted by TURBO CHARGER
If they haven't screened the film yet, how did they guy over at AICN see it already?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32455

Already had the review discussions, way back on the 27th...
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

WTF????? Apparently, the Hollywood screening was last night. How come no one contacted me with the time and location info as the promised they would? Now I am pissed!
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
sweetperv
Protoform

Post by sweetperv »

Better check your emails... I just got my info in getting into the screening! Woohoo:)
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

same here! =)
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

lucky me gets to go tmorrow night for said screening...

hope at the least, it'll be worth the gas... AND that I'll be able t get in
due to the whole "first come, first serve" crap... I'll kill someone if I made that hour drive and get turned away
Angus
Protoform

Post by Angus »

The movie is awesome. It's actually so good, that I literally had tears in my eyes in many of the scenes. It was well worth the 20+ years we waited for this. And it makes more than justice to the robots we learned to love.

Just beautiful!

ps: it's true, Brawl was named Devastator in the movie.
Angus
Brazilian TF Collector
Los Angeles, CA
My collection