Henkei Starscream vs Classics Starscream

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Ackula

Henkei Starscream vs Classics Starscream

Post by Ackula »

I just got my Takara Henkei Starscream in the mail today so I thought I'd snap some quick comparison photos.

ImageImageImage

If you look closely you will see many differences between the paint applications between these two figures. My camera didn't quite capture the Henkei Screamer's face as well as I'd like to, it looks much darker than it is in reality in these photos. It is an interesting dark silver, and worth noting is that the back of the head is actually the same color as the rest of the nose on the plane, in contrast to the solid black on the Classics version.

There are enough differences to warrant buying this figure even if you have the U.S. version in my opinion, but I am known to be a Screamer fan so take that as you will. Overall I prefer the Takara version as it has much more fine details, like for instance the paint applications on the turbines/wheels and the chrome on the weapons. The Henkei version is also much more accurate to the cartoon obviously, if that sort of thing floats your boat. It is however not as accurate as the RM release, color wise that is.

I much prefer the Henkei version in jet mode because to me it resembles Starscream much more than the Classics version. Worth noting is that they actually got the Decepticon insignias pointing in the right direction on the Henkei version's wings, and there are also Decepticon insignias on the underside of the wings as well. There are no rub sign insignias on the Henkei version however. The only flaw I find in jet mode is that the nosecone really would look better blue in my opinion.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I also like the basic details such as actually painting the chest panels with the turbines/wheels attached the same color as the rest of the chest.

I custom painted one for myself, so I'd have no need for the new one. But I can see why people might prefer this one to the classics.

Eidt: Are the tail fins hard to fold in like on the Classics mold?
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Is there any difference in the strength of the missile launchers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

If I'm being honest, I actually like the US one better. Some of the paint apps would have been very cool, but those are fairly easy to add. Robot mode is about even, but I think the jet mode of the US one is far better looking. The Japanese one is just a little too much "field of gray", whereas the US one has that slimming blue stripe to break it up.
But, that's just me.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Pun-3X wrote:Are the tail fins hard to fold in like on the Classics mold?
Actually no. They seem a bit easier to fold in than my Classics figure. That is one of the first things I noticed when transforming the figure for the first time. On the other hand the leg joints feel stiffer on the Henkei version when pulling them down to transform into bot mode, but I suspect that may be because of the newness of the figure, my Classics has been transformed a lot.
Treadshot A1 wrote:Is there any difference in the strength of the missile launchers?
The Henkei launchers seem to have slightly more power than the Classics when comparing them side by side. This could be due to newness as well.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Notabot wrote:If I'm being honest, I actually like the US one better. Some of the paint apps would have been very cool, but those are fairly easy to add. Robot mode is about even, but I think the jet mode of the US one is far better looking. The Japanese one is just a little too much "field of gray", whereas the US one has that slimming blue stripe to break it up.
But, that's just me.
Two words "Anime Accurate" or for those who are hard of thinking it looks like it does in the cartoon-always a winner for me.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Dammit. And here I was, thinking I could settle with just Astrotrain (for the color scheme) and Hot Rod (which I didn't get the first time around)...

Have they fixed the loose shoulder sockets for the missile launchers?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Tetsuro wrote:Have they fixed the loose shoulder sockets for the missile launchers?
The sockets are not loose on either of my figures actually. They seem to be exactly the same as far as that goes though, snug fit they don't fall out, but you don't have to force them in or out.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

I think the jap screamer looks better in jet mode, but in robot mode it is appalling! That chrome just looks so out of place and stupid.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

Sonray wrote:I think the jap screamer looks better in jet mode, but in robot mode it is appalling! That chrome just looks so out of place and stupid.

dude... did you seriously calling it a "Jap" version????

:confused:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Generally, Americans consider it a racial slur whilst other English-speaking countries tend to use it as an abbreviation in the same way as Brit or Aussie. Particularly the txtspk generation...

Similarly, 'spastic/spaz' isn't considered offensive in the US, but is one of the more offensive things you can say to someone in the UK.

Different cultural connotations.
Clay

Post by Clay »

frenzy_rumble wrote:dude... did you seriously calling it a "Jap" version????

:confused:
Did I not tell you to just put him on ignore and be done with it?
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

Im sorry i didn't realize the word "jap" would be such a problem. As Denyer stated it depends on the culture and he is 100% correct on what he said hence why i didnt think it would cause such a stir with certain people.

I still think the chrome is horrid though, if it wasn't for that it would be an improvement.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Is it the camera, or does henkei screamer have a totally black head?

@sonray: Ditto. The chrome is horrid.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

Treadshot A1 wrote:Is it the camera, or does henkei screamer have a totally black head?

@sonray: Ditto. The chrome is horrid.
You're right! Its black!! WTF?!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Ackula wrote:My camera didn't quite capture the Henkei Screamer's face as well as I'd like to, it looks much darker than it is in reality in these photos. It is an interesting dark silver
As you can see from my original post, the face is a dark silver. My camera does a shitty job indoors for catching color and details. The face is almost exactly the same color of silver as the new Revoltech Starscream figure, for the sake of comparison.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

Sorry, thought that term would apply offensively to any country involved in WWII.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm American and its not even offensive to me honestly. You two need to knock this shit off before it escalates for either of you. Anymore posting in this thread about the issue and its locked. Lets move back on topic please.