Petition to Hasbro for McDonough and Patyk

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Petition to Hasbro for McDonough and Patyk

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Here is a new petition designed by Botch of TF box art archive fame. The petition is being sent to Hasbro to urge them to bring former DW TF comic writers James McDonough and Adam Patyk back on the TF comic once the new publisher is announced.

For those of you who loved the work they did at Dreamwave, your vote counts in bringing them back. Let's do our part in helping them and all other former DW employees out.

http://petition.botchthecrab.com/
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cut 'n' paste from ATT...

They both saw better printed work than Sarracini, but to be honest I'd opt for a new writer, unless it could be proved that the slow pace of the series was due to lousy editing and too much focus by Dreamwave on splash art.

Don, Simon and possibly Joe I'd be more interested in seeing return, particularly if Joe could be brought out of the shadow of trying to draw like Pat Lee.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Denyer
but to be honest I'd opt for a new writer

Definitely. Mick and Patyk were okay, but I'd rather see someone else take over.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yep, new fresh ideas please, no rehashes of existing material and injokes... now, a petition to see Brad and Adam get paid, I'd be for.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
a petition to see Brad and Adam get paid, I'd be for.
Oh, absolutely. I'd like nothing more than for them to see restitution for the work they've done. Not the same thing as considering that work particularly interesting...
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

I think my desire to have them back also stems from my desire not to see yet another reboot, which would suredly happen if someone else took the reins.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
I think my desire to have them back also stems from my desire not to see yet another reboot, which would suredly happen if someone else took the reins.

Wasn't there something about Blaylock considering just picking up where DW left off?

Anyway, either way, I could care less. Frankly, if someone rebooted Generation 1, and it was as if DW never existed, I'd be just fine with it.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Denyer
particularly if Joe could be brought out of the shadow of trying to draw like Pat Lee.

i agree, as ive said many times, joe is a fantastic artist, some of his fan art is some of my favourite, but i didnt like TWW:AOW one bit, i think due to everything, there were lousy dirty inks on that comic aswell which made joes pencils look worse than they were.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by fort_max
Wasn't there something about Blaylock considering just picking up where DW left off?

Anyway, either way, I could care less. Frankly, if someone rebooted Generation 1, and it was as if DW never existed, I'd be just fine with it.

Yeh... DW rebooted their own continuity effectively after six issues, so another one will do no harm... DW made some astonishingly bad narrative moves i'd rather forget ASAP.
starcrosser

Post by starcrosser »

saracini was ok

mick ROCKED

and the upcoming 2005 movie tie in was going to kick ass

i am so upset to see it lost
i was looking forward to all being revealed
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Online petitions never work. Sorry, but that's fact.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I should've read this thread earlier.

Can we move this and reopen it?

Anyway, I'd like to see what DW started finished. I'd like some closure.

That aside I think new writer's are a great idea.

What I'd rather see is a few of the artists DW employed brought back on.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I repeat: Online petitions do not work. Never.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Point taken.

I petition that this be renamed, "Stuff" or something, and moved so that we can all discuss what we'd like to see from whomever gets the TF liscense.

BTW, I heard, in the local comic shop newsletter that Devil's Due was definitely getting the liscense. Though I don't know the source beyond the owner of my local comic shop. *shrugs*
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Some have secured DVD releases. In general, no, they don't work—but not never. Mostly they're a "look at me, look at me" effort, which itself can focus people on what's happening in a community.

It's also something part of the fandom is doing, to do with TFs, and generating publicity and interest for the comics. It's valid enough news, as long as there aren't dozens of the things...
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Originally posted by Nevermore

What does it cost? Whom does it hurt?
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Well, there's an argument that people are less likely to bother writing directly to companies if they make the token effort of signing an online petition.

Anyone who seriously cares about the writers returning would be better off tracking down appropriate addresses and/or calling in to appropriate contact numbers.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

I have noticed that if a fan enjoys Vol. 1, they have a hard time liking Vol. 2, and vice versa.

I think if you like Vol. 1 you are the kind of fan who cares little for individual characterization, and go more for a good delivery of the overall story, paying little attention to who is saying what and how. In other words, you could replace the cast in Vol. 1 with a set of different characters, save Prime and Megs, and still enjoy the story as much as you did before. Vol. 1 depended not on individual Transformers to carry the story, but human interaction with giant generic robots.

Those who like Vol. 2 care more about spot-on individual performances and characterizations, and the interactions of well known characters with each other, with the overall story arc taking a back seat to this individual character interaction. In other words, how Starscream interacted with Megs matters in War and Peace, and in Vol. 1 it plays no part whatsoever. And fans of Vol. 2 are willing to wait years to see where the overall story is going because they enjoy the character moments.

I'm a Vol. 2 kind of guy. Not that I don't want good overall story arcs, but I'm willing to wait to see how things play out and allow characters to do their thing. And I think given the time, Micks story would have been incredible.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I think that once Hasbro announces who will get the comic rights, it will be the comic company that decides who the writer will be and Hasbro will have no say in it. So a petition to them is useless. Wait for the publisher to be announced, and then send the petition to the publisher
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Originally posted by Blitzwing
I think that once Hasbro announces who will get the comic rights, it will be the comic company that decides who the writer will be and Hasbro will have no say in it. So a petition to them is useless. Wait for the publisher to be announced, and then send the petition to the publisher

I thought that too, but after speaking with James, he suggested a petition aimed at the new publisher would in all likelihood be too little too late. He felt that the new publisher would decide upon the direction and strategy to take in their initial meeting with Hasbro (which occured last week). And after considering this, I think he is right.

He also suggested going with written petitions, as I guess he shares the sentiment of others, that online petitions mean very little.