August IDW Q&A

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

August IDW Q&A

Post by inflatable dalek »

I meant to give this its own thread after seeing a link to it in the AHM 14 thread, but it's taken me till now to get through it all [Well, the questions themselves anyway, I have nay dared the rest of the thread yet]:

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Be warned: There's huge amount of sycophancy, brown nosing the the unzipping of trousers followed by gagging (I think my favourite is "Denton has been fantastic since working on TF’s" because it implies he was really rubbish beforehand). The question selection is also a bit pants, we get the same one about Spotlights twice in a row.

One you get past all the "You are great, I am great, we are great stuff" it can be read that:

Drift is done (for now at least),
They're going to try to put the comics out on time,
They're not going to ignore anything that's gone before but completely finished stories like, for example, AHM aren't going to be dwelled on (!),
the ongoing has a totally new and awesome direction for Transformers (!),
We're going to learn what makes Earth central to the Cybertronian war (what odds Ore 13?),
Instead of Spotlights we'll be getting minis focused on one character.,
Coda is basically unimportant filler to let the artists on the books that matter have a chance to get ahead.

Other than that I was kinda amused and/or suspicious of the one Furman plot to get mentioned is one he A: Finished off and B: We already knew was being brought back.

EDIT: I think my favourite bit is now the people championing Schmidtshot as his letters page name, on the off chance they're deliberately suggesting he's a giant space dildo. Is that the most text he's written without a "I still function"? Ohhh, perhaps that's the theme they mention?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Few thoughts:

On Drift: You wonder why there was so much hoopla for the guy. Didnt do much and I'm sure we all could have found an autobot already available who could have filled that role.

On Codas: They certainly fill like filler. I'm thinking only the fact that Galvatron and his crew are back in the universe will make that one relevent. i fully expect Megs to be back in control come the start of the ongoing.

On Ore 13: Such a good way to keep Earth important, you wonder why they ignored it.
Terome

Post by Terome »

So, uh, yay?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

August IDW Q&Q Be warned: There's huge amount of sycophancy, brown nosing the the unzipping of trousers followed by gagging (I think my favourite is "Denton has been fantastic since working on TF’s" because it implies he was really rubbish beforehand).
A PSA from the Redundancy Department for Redundancy there. I've stopped clicking to links to their board simply because the toadying made me feel physically sick...

Also, the idea of IDW doing a Question & Question session rather than a traditional Question & Answer session is strangely in-keeping with their output. Positively Freudian.

I'm getting rather dizzy with all these new directions every ten minutes.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Drift is done (for now at least)
Well that was a worthwhile invention then.
They're going to try to put the comics out on time
Heard that before.
They're not going to ignore anything that's gone before
That's clearly bullshit, as anybody who's read the second story in AHM will testify.
but completely finished stories like, for example, AHM aren't going to be dwelled on (!)
That'll obviously be why AHM was extended by an additional four issues...
the ongoing has a totally new and awesome direction for Transformers (!),
Well we've had pseudo-complicated, we've had good, we've had a convoluted mess, we've had a plotless mess, we've had crap... what the hell's left?
We're going to learn what makes Earth central to the Cybertronian war (what odds Ore 13?),
Well either it's the already established reason, or they'll have to go about ignoring what's gone before. So long as it's not a secret Decepticon Matrix buried under the ocean, or whatever.

Definitely dropping the titles completely. Sick of their arrogant, lying ineptitude.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote: Also, the idea of IDW doing a Question & Question session rather than a traditional Question & Answer session is strangely in-keeping with their output. Positively Freudian.
You can't prove nuthin!
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

More stories durring the Megatron: Origin and Spotlight Blur era. Does this mean that Origin is considered part of the continuity again? Or are they just useing that as a reference point?

Im not sure what to make of this interview. Now they think the market cant handle more than 3 books a month, where before we had 6. True they were in several continuities but still.

Lets hope this time they can get their **** together.

Quote:
Well we've had pseudo-complicated, we've had good, we've had a convoluted mess, we've had a plotless mess, we've had crap... what the hell's left?

Answer: A pseudo-complicated, convoluted, plotless, crappy mess?
inflatable dalek

Dreadwing wrote:More stories durring the Megatron: Origin and Spotlight Blur era. Does this mean that Origin is considered part of the continuity again? Or are they just useing that as a reference point?
Megatron: Origin's canon? Must be Tuesday.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Megatron: Origin's canon? Must be Tuesday.
Ha! nice!
Xed51
Protoform

Post by Xed51 »

Red Dave Prime wrote: On Ore 13: Such a good way to keep Earth important, you wonder why they ignored it.
It wasn't cool enough.
The new reason that makes earth so important is that earth is the only planet where the ninja tecniques are so advanced that they can build a new sword for Drift, who is AWESOME!1!!
(I'm just kidding here, luckly it looks like drift won't be so important in the upcoming ongoing)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

But bar saving perceptor he hasnt really done a whole lot anyway (certainly not enough to justify the spotlight) If they drop the third faction idea theres not a lot left to play with.

(granted he did kill a few spawn creatures but then, so did everybody!)
inflatable dalek

Wow, forget "Collecting long out of print comics" used to describe something rom two years ago, the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever seen on a IDW book award goes to this claim on the back of their Star Trek Omnibus 1: "Including the first ever original Trek stories for comics!". Alright, the Golden Key stuff is terrible (though not any sillier than the Marvel stuff in the Omnibus, Kirk becomes a Pharoe) and the British strips are a bit obscure but come on, ignoring a entire decades worth of previous, mostly original comics is a bit much even by IDW's standards.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Thanks to the internet, I have the Gold Key Trek comics(they aren't all that bad, but then I used to get them from the local comics shop's back issue bin and haven't read them since, so take that for what it's worth), and pretty much all of the Trek comics period. And all because I wanted DC's first run of Star Trek issues.

So what did they/will they leave out of their wonderous omnibus?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

The first one is all the original Marvel issues bar the film adaptation, the second is the Captain Pike comic and the third is all the original crew movie stuff including the one IDW just did for Khan.

I've read the Checker reprints of the Key stuff (which seem to have stopped now sadly) and enjoyed them. Mainly because I have a fondness for bad TV tie ins, they certainly belong in the same world as TV celebrity Dr. Who and his death ray for killing hidious monsters.

I've read the first two issues of the Marvel stuff so far and it's exactly the same style (a haunted house in space!) but seems even odder because it's tying into a film that aims for 2001 style seriousness.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I'm wondering if they're going to reprint the comics that came with the Power Records Star Trek stuff. There's a site where you can get the audio and pdf files of the comics... but the only Power Record thing that seems to be worth it is the first full length Batman record they did. The 4 stories, while not exactly Shakespeare, have pretty good voice acting(although their Riddler's a bit of a giggling loon). The second record..... they kinda lost it.

The other reason the only one I've downloaded is the Batman one is that's the only one from my youth(remember the good old days when you could borrow records from the library? Or even listen to them there? Whaddaya mean you don't? Geez, young whippersnappers....) that I remember fondly, and it stood up to the remembering.

Besides, unless it's New Voyages, I don't think I can handle a Shatnerless original Star Trek. :D

I think I had all(or most) of the Marvel Star Trek stuff from the late 70s at one point. I don't think they had the writers watch the movie. Either that, or they were told that since it was a comic book, they couldn't go 2001-ish because the kiddies would get lost.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642