[New RPG] Couple questions regarding Chars abilities/skills

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Starscreamg1
Protoform

Couple questions regarding Chars abilities/skills

Post by Starscreamg1 »

I've always RPd Starscream as a full blown, able and qualified repair tech? Is there a problem having that in this RP? (of course adjusted slightly since Ive got him pretty young in this timeline. In other words hes got all the training but not a lot of hands on experience, yet). And if anyone might question why hed have this skill, well I figure he'd have to learn some reipair/healing skills for his speicimans in his research in whatever experiment hes working on at the time. It would save time and effort hunting up new specimans all the time. LOL And perhaps once he learned the basics to make his research easier, he could see the need to learn the skill outright for possible future self preservation if nothing more. Besides knowledge and skills are power and theres a nice ace up his proverbeal sleeve too you know.

Second question: His speed and agility in alternate mode. Hes G1 canonically considered the fastest Seeker (though it is debatable if hes truly the 'fastest' since Skywaro can teleport.. bah.. LOL). Does that still hold true in this TF verse?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I never thought of Starscream as having much repair skills, personally, but your explanation makes total sense and I don't see why it would be a problem for this version of the character to be able to do that. :)

I don't think it's fair to say that any one character is the fastest, strongest, smartest, etc. It's something that was common in the toys tech specs, though. Windcharger was the fastest Autobot, Mirage was the best shot, Brawn was the strongest...until later waves came along and they were superseded by Blurr, Sureshot and Grimlock. We ended up with multiple characters who were "the best" at the same things, which just seems silly to me.

Talking about Starscream in particular, he was declared "the fastest" when the only people to compare him to were Skywarp and Thundercracker. But I don't think that says much about how he stacks up against anyone else, even the other seekers whose toys were released later. In fact, Starscream and Ramjet actually have the same top speed given in their tech specs (Mach 2.8, if you're curious) while Thrust can actually accelerate to Mach 5 for short bursts. So while it's safe to say that Starscream is among the fastest, it would be difficult to say that he is absolutely faster than any of the other jets.

That's not to say that he's not going to tell people that he is, mind. He's Starscream. Of course he will. ;)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Skywarp's teleportation is limited in how many times he can use it before his energon or whatever runs out, so in a straight up race Skywarp may overtake Starscream initially, but will run out and get overtaken by Starscream before the finish line.

Also, Skywarp is liable to be distracted by shiny things halfway through the race and crash. ;)
Starscreamg1
Protoform

Post by Starscreamg1 »

OMG the Skywarp=loves shiny things!!!! LOL!!!! A Skywarp player in an RP I had up for while was the. same. way. His funky attraction for 'shiny things' got him into MORE TROUBLE. :lol:

Now when I asked him why his Skywarp loved shiny things (not only did he get in serious trouble sometimes over it but it was too funny OOC too) his explanation was interesting I thought. He said that Skywarps coloring reminded him of a crow/raven and crows/ravens like shiny things LOL Oh he didnt RP him anything like an earth bird mind you but that 'oooo shiny!' thing did stick LOL

And yea the whole Starscream being a repair tech or not debate seems to be either one way or the other. Some fans seem totally against it and some fans cant see him as being any other way. Ive had to RP without the skill in some RPGs and it just felt weird. hehe

And yea the fastest or not debate. You both brought up some very good points. Im in the camp that he is the fastest and am neutral on whether Skywarp could outrun him. As stated his porting abilities are limited in how many times he can do it (and if he doesnt get thrown off course cause of something .. shiny catching his attention :swirly: >_>) and by the time hes worn out SS will pass him by.

I had a G1 Thrust and I cant remember his stats for nothing (sweet Thrust that stayed MISB the whole time I had him and I was his first owner. He was the only Thrust I ever found in my area too.. shame I had to sell him a few years back :( ) I think perhaps where 'Starscream is the fastest' comes from a bit is; his reflexes are very fast (Im not that into BW but remember when he was in waspys body dodging?) and he can break the earths atmosphere and to do that you have to be fast. Also if you look at his true stats (did you know and this is a fact that Im sure I could dig up the proof on again to show) that on the G1 box bios, Starscream and Skywarps stats were on the wrong boxes. That is a fact. SSs speed is rated at 9 out of 10 (look at Skywarps G1 box) and (its been awhile since Ive looked at everyones box stats) none of the other Seekers were that high in speed.

I know Skyfire is faster than he is but SS can keep up with him more or less. (I think hed have to able too since they were a team exploring etc)

Since this is an AU I can adjust to him not having the highest top end speed but it will take some getting used too. :D
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Starscreamg1 wrote:OMG the Skywarp=loves shiny things!!!! LOL!!!! A Skywarp player in an RP I had up for while was the. same. way. His funky attraction for 'shiny things' got him into MORE TROUBLE. :lol:
Well, Skywarp is basically a funny little clown (albeit without a moral compass) so in my head he is this hyperactive, mischievous little kid trapped in an adult's body... without any moralities that kids have.

He thinks riddling bullets in someone's head in the shape of a smiley face is just as funny as pushing someone down stairs.

We haven't seen Skywarp get distracted by shiny things too, but for me it's because, well, Skywarp has a child's mentality, and children are distracted by shiny things. That crow-raven resemblance is quite interesting, though...
And yea the whole Starscream being a repair tech or not debate seems to be either one way or the other.
Mmm, personally the Starscream in my head I wouldn't associate with repairing, but since you pointed out that he's a scientist and everything, I find it difficult not to have him have repair skills and the like...
Warcry wrote:I had a G1 Thrust and I cant remember his stats for nothing (sweet Thrust that stayed MISB the whole time I had him and I was his first owner. He was the only Thrust I ever found in my area too.. shame I had to sell him a few years back :( )
Thrust had an average-ish speed, if my memory isn't fooling me (tech specs like this can be found at TFU, I believe, although we've never really strictly followed the tech specs).

Why Thrust was so fast I think it's because he can have some sort of short-time boost via his VTOL engines, hence the name Thrust. So he can outrun Starscream if needed, but not in a long race.
Warcry wrote:his reflexes are very fast (Im not that into BW but remember when he was in waspys body dodging?)
Mmm, I think in BW it's more of Starscream's actual flying skills (while Waspinator was an idiotic comic relief) which the Maximals weren't used to. Which is justifiable, since the fliers they had to deal with were a giant wasp and a pterodactyl, while Starscream is used to flying with a jet alternate mode.

Also, skills. He can't become aerospace commander without at least knowing some sweet skills.
Starscream and Skywarps stats were on the wrong boxes.
Yes, this. Starscream's stats were certainly placed on Skywarp's, and Skywarp's on Starscream's. I've heard that Skywarp's stats got placed on TC and TC's on Starscream, but the two are so similar that it doesn't really matter.

The high-rank high-int one should be Starsceram though.
Since this is an AU I can adjust to him not having the highest top end speed but it will take some getting used too. :D
Yep! This is the beauty of an AU. ;)