Robot Heroes!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Halfshell

Robot Heroes!

Post by Halfshell »

I just went off to Toys R Us on a whim, and the moment I walked through the door I was confronted with a whole aisle-end rack of Robot Heroes - pretty much the only remaining TF line that I actually buy - at £2.99 a pack.

Not the RotF line, which I'm not bothered about even though they do seem to be a bit more recognisable as characters than the previous movie one, but the regular "Universe" stuff. Wooha.

I snaffled:
Blaster / Thrust
Perceptor / not-Bombshell
Ironhide / Kickback
not-Stepper / Predaking
BW Silverbolt / TM Megatron
Tigatron / Inferno

Yay. I left BM Cheetor and Tankor on the shelf because, well, seriously.

All I need now is Sunstreaker, Galvatron, Hound, Blitzwing, Arcee, Rumble, not-Slag and Sharkticon from the G1 range. And the other BW ones. Oh, and Cliffjumper and Skywarp from the WalMart pack.

Is this line cancelled now then? Or is it just on hold until the RotF stuff has passed? The Prowl/Laserbeak and Fire Convoy/Gigatron set advertised on the back of Tigatron and Inferno look epically cheesy even by the standards laid out.

I'd hate to think there'll be no more of these awesome little bastards. Especially as they'd probably lend themselves quite well to the Animated character models.

The BW ones are a little bit wacky. Inferno really doesn't want to stand up (I won out in the end), and I think it's kinda cute that Schmuckbot is a cream colour rather than white, as per the Hasbro toy.

Predaking's just adorable with the little sculpted animal heads on each limb. Stepper probably won't get much love, though, being as he won't belong in any display I can cobble them into. Yay for all three Insecticons. Need complete Dinobots in every form possible!

RotF Devastator just looks awful, it must be said. And I'm slightly bemused by there being a Decepticon crane thing called Mudflap in "Allspark power" (or something) packaging on sale right next to the Movie stuff. Unless I'm just losing the plot.

Got confused by the Whirl/Bludgeon two pack being labelled "Master of Mellitikato" - is that both of them are masters of it? Wacky fun.

Oh, that was the other thing - I see that Doctor Who monsters now come in a nearly-but-not-quite-the-same-scale-and-design as the ___-Heroes range. That makes me sad. Though it's amusing that there was no way they could cutesify Dalek Sek. A Dalek's a Dalek, not matter how much you attempt to superdeform it.

Mahoosive display of RotF/Animated/Universe stuff near the storefront, too (in addition to the clearance rack and the regular slot further into the shop). Animated Leader Megatron half price if you get your skates on.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

At work they're selling Robot Heroes singley, but in packs where you can't see what's inside (sort of like what Takara used to do with those Micromaster reissues). Though as I think they're selling them for the same price you paid for two where you knew what you were getting I think you had the better deal. There was a lose Shockwave hanging about the backdoor on Tuesday (conclusive proof he is behind everything) but it seems it got chucked in the waste before I could snatch it.
Halfshell wrote:And I'm slightly bemused by there being a Decepticon crane thing called Mudflap in "Allspark power" (or something) packaging on sale right next to the Movie stuff. Unless I'm just losing the plot.
I think Decepticon Mudflap was out long before they decided on the name for the film, it's just unfortunate they couldn't shift him before the new one came out and confused everything.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:I think Decepticon Mudflap was out long before they decided on the name for the film, it's just unfortunate they couldn't shift him before the new one came out and confused everything.
That would make sense. The packaging was quite possibly from the first Movie line... which must really mean no bugger wants him. Surprised he was at full price, though.

I'm really tempted by RotF Ravage, though I'm wary of the fact he doesn't look at all poseable. Going solely by my examinations of the packaged toy, that is. Also £13 is an utter no-no for a toy that size.
inflatable dalek

If only he had a gimmick where you could pull his spine out...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

RotF Ravage needs to be done as a Legends so Bumblebee can chuck him around. His transformation should be that his spine comes out. Beyond that, there's no point whatsover...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Oh yeah. These things are awesome. I picked up a few packs here and there, plus a ton of singles at a convention a few months back- IIRC, I bought two sets [Optimus Prime & Ravage, Grimlock & Shockwave], I picked up Mirage and "Hologram" Mirage, Optimus Prime (with Matrix) & Unicron as singles, and a bunch of others that are still packed from my move. I'm going hunting for some older packs that I've missed later on today and I'm also thinking about ordering Ricochet and Predaking and Tigatron and Inferno, since we can't get them here.

[edit] Oh, and RotF Ravage looks freaking nifty- his legs are on ball joints so have a decent bit of bend to them [they also have the ability to "rock" side to side at the joint where they meet the body, which I like very much], but the rest of him is either stiff or loose. his tail is somewhat fragile and has three points of articulation, the one at the end being the only ball joint. the other two joints just move the tail up and down a bit. The joint joining his back half to his front half is on a ball as well, but it only twists; no up and down-side to side movement. Mine is loose as well, which is a bit annoying. Jaw is also a bit loose on mine, but he's got some sort of lever on his back that shoves his head forward and opens his mouth so that might be why. I love the toy's character design, which is the main reason why I bought it but if you're looking for articulation, yeah- I'd go elsewhere.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Halfshell wrote:All I need now is Sunstreaker, Galvatron, Hound, Blitzwing, Arcee, Rumble, not-Slag and Sharkticon from the G1 range. And the other BW ones. Oh, and Cliffjumper and Skywarp from the WalMart pack.
Reasons I shouldn't be allowed on eBay # 89167:

I just now need not-Slag and Sharkticon. Plus the two WalMart exclusives (that's a hint incidentally, you mooks).

I might end up buying the BM pack just out of boredom. I think I've got all the BW ones on the way now, too.

Anybody got an answer on the "is this line actually cancelled then" issue? Can my wallet rest easy, or will be cuteness-inspired OCD manifest again once the movie stuff has cleared?
inflatable dalek

The bagged versions have been reduced again at work. And Shockwave keeps appearing and disappearing at the back door. It's like he's a manager.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

"Wow, this Rattrap design is wicked cool, isn't it? But it's not quite slavishly show accurate... we need to work a way of getting the beast mode legs sticking out of his back. I know! We'll sculpt a massive backpack for him that they can jut out of. It's not as if it'll completely destabilise the mould, making it borderline impossible for it to stand unaided..."

****ers.