52 #52, or, as I like to call it....

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zisteau

52 #52, or, as I like to call it....

Post by Zisteau »

One Giant Prolonged 52-Part F*ck You to John Byrne.

Well, its over, 52 #52 came out today. Overall, I think the series was a great success, particularly the last 10 issues or so. The story did get a bit stretched in the middles issues, I think they could have dropped 15-20 issues and made it a lot tighter, leaner story, but overall I highly enjoyed the various story-arcs.

The end episode reveals were pretty interesting, the evolution of
SPOILER! (select to read)
Mr. Mind
, Booster's entire story arc concluded, the cockiness, the sponsorships on his suit, masquerading as Supernova, his relationship to his ancestor, and towards the end when he
goes back in time to see Ted Kord one last time and take the scarab
, really interesting story arc.

The was they recreated the multiverse was well done, reestablishing the various alternate earths, and the giant f*ck you to John Byrne comes at the end when Kip Hunter says
"There's so much more happening out there than we could ever have imagined. That's not "broken". That's the way things should be. Welcome to a multiverse of possibility, Booster.
:up:
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Haven't read the final issue yet, but it better be ****ing spectacular to have any hope of redeeming the series.

And now, of course, they're kicking off Countdown, the main 'draw' of which seems to be 'ZOMFG! JIMMY OLSEN IS GOING TO DIE!!!1!'.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Dead Man Wade

And now, of course, they're kicking off Countdown, the main 'draw' of which seems to be 'ZOMFG! JIMMY OLSEN IS GOING TO DIE!!!1!'.

Yeah I guess I'm not the only one who couldn't give two ****s about Jimmy Olsen. The end to 52 I really liked, but, like I said, the whole series would have benefited from losing 20ish issues, maybe if they had made it bi-weekly and kept the 52 weeks thing. Dunno.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Zisteau
Yeah I guess I'm not the only one who couldn't give two ****s about Jimmy Olsen.

I don't necessarily have anything against Jimmy Olsen, but if they're expecting people to immediately start picking up another weekly series, they've got to think of a better hook than killing off Superman's mewling, freckled pal.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm more interested in what's been going on with Ray Palmer.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Read it yesterday...... Ermm I dunno, wasnt a massive fan of the final issue tbh.

So this whole multiverse thing, does that mean that not all of the characters in DC comics are on the same earth (as it was before COIE) or does it mean that all the characters are on Earth-1?

I know no one probs doesnt know the answer yet, but its something a lil confusing.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well we know that the golden age heroes are on Earth-1 still because that's where the comics featuring them are taking place. Same with the Fawcett and Quality Comics characters.

I think the only thing that's changed is that they've tweaked a few of the post-crisis changes that were made and now if they want to pull from an alternate universe they can.