The Gaslight Anthem - anyone like them?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rack 'n Ruin

The Gaslight Anthem - anyone like them?

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I really love the album "The '59 Sound" by The Gaslight Anthem. Seriously, if you don't have it, buy it. You'll not be disappointed. NB: YMMV. ;)

I also have the follow-up album, "American Slang". While not at all bad, "American Slang" just doesn't quite do it for me.

Is anyone here a fan? If so, can you recommend any other albums of the quality of "The '59 Sound"? Is their new one, "Handwritten", any good?
Wreck and Rule!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

New one's a grower, but not as good as the first three. Trails off after the first few tracks.

Love the Gaslight. Sink or Swim is my second favourite.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Cheers, Halfshell. May have to check out Sink or Swim then.

Edit: And more importantly... Halfshell lives!!! Good to see you back!
Wreck and Rule!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've never been able to get into Gaslight. I dunno, their folk-punk-metal stuff just doesn't work for me.

In unrelated news, I went to see Turbowolf whom are amazing live. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. Lead singer looks like Frank Zappa. They had support from Shields (alright) and Black Moth whom were most excellent (so much so I bought a copy of their album after).

Had to go see Reckless Love with my girlfriend whom likes sleaze/glam metal stuff like this, and whilst they really aren't my cup of tea, they are a superb live band. Mallory Knox supported. They were okay, a bit like You Me At Six, had a couple of good tunes.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I had never heard of them, but after a couple samples on amazon, I might have to give them a try. Sort of an East-coast Social Distortion, eh? Now my family has something besides Transformers to get me for Christmas!