ARRGH! US Reissues different than originals!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

ARRGH! US Reissues different than originals!

Post by Alpha Trion »

This is extremely aggravating. As you can see in the above pic, Prime's smokestacks have had the top bit chopped off and Magnus's missles are far longer than they ought to be. Prime also has blue eyes. This pretty much defeats the purpose of a reissue, by creating 2 versions completists must buy. And you can see the Takara God Ginrai re-ish in the back. Although it is a great toy, this also upsets me because I still have to buy the original PM Prime. And I easily could have picked up the Takara God Ginrai for about $40.
Scourge
Protoform

Post by Scourge »

Where did that picture come from? The pictures on http://www.Transformers.com show the figures just as they were originally. So it seems more likely to me that the figures will be unaltered, unless that pic came from a really reliable source. And whether they are or are not changed, you don't need to buy them. I consider it an illness to HAVE to buy whatever it is you collect. Don't let it get to you like that. If you like the toys, buy 'em. If not, don't sweat it. Well, that's my take on it anyway.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

The pic is from Wizard World convention so those toys were set up by Hasbro themselves. And yes I must collect everything. I don't think its possible to explain to you why, but I just wouldn't feel right knowing I was neglecting to buy a TF.
GeneralObsidian
Protoform

Post by GeneralObsidian »

Don't know about the shorter smoke stacks or the blue eyes, but Ultra Magnus' missile are probably due to today's standards for childrens toys. Those small missiles just aren't kosher for kids to swallow. BTW: Hot Rod's stickers look like they're foil or something...they shiney!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hey, if you're ridiculously anal, that's your problem. :p

Remember there are literally dozens of variations in Prime already...check out Fred's Workshop sometime when you feel that throbbing vein in your forehead can take it...

http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/tfs.html

(Site tends to take heavy bandwidth hits.)
never again
Protoform

bound to happen

Post by never again »

that's what you get for being a completist!
I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE!
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I agree, though being a completist is your choice.

If it's not, it's called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And not to joke, if you truly have no control about owning all the variants out there, this is what it is.

However, if you can hold up against the variants listed at Fred's Workshop, then you'll know if it's compulsion or not for sure.
Megatron2
Protoform

Post by Megatron2 »

Whether or not the re-issues are different doesn't really matter to me. I've never had the opportunity to own the original Optimus, Magnus, or Hot Rod. Now, owing to the fact that I don't have a lot of money, I would still like to have them just the same.:)
"Such heroic nonsense."
Thanks Skywarp!!
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

Where did that picture come from? The pictures on http://www.Transformers.com show the figures just as they were originally. So it seems more likely to me that the figures will be unaltered, unless that pic came from a really reliable source. And whether they are or are not changed, you don't need to buy them. I consider it an illness to HAVE to buy whatever it is you collect. Don't let it get to you like that. If you like the toys, buy 'em. If not, don't sweat it. Well, that's my take on it anyway.

Hasbro did say they were going to change optimus to make him "safer" or something like that. I can't say I like the change, but since I don't have an orginal optimus I won't pass this up.

Personally, I do like the bigger missles on Magnus since they'll be easier to find.
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Christ, as far as the extended missiles are concerned I'm just gonna cut 'em down and glue them into place. Hell, I'm not concerned about keeping them mint seeing how I probably never will get rid of them. If I can I'll figure something out for Prime's stacks. There is always a way around things, sometimes you just have to be willing to do things that others may not be.
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
never again
Protoform

Post by never again »

you might as well save up a little more and get some originals from ebay if you only want what was originally released.
I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Y'know, it really ****ing says it all that someone had to find something to whinge and bitch about.

Wizard's a rag.

You'd be surprised how many toys displayed at toy fares aren't released in that form. Hasbro couldn't set things up properly for catalogues...
jetscream1001
Protoform

Post by jetscream1001 »

i agree
swipe
Protoform

Post by swipe »

Regardless of the missles or stacks its all a matter of price. Let me think $100.00 for prime reissue on Ebay or $40.00 at Toys R Us, that will actually have English writting on the box. But yeah I feel your pain,if there going to reissue something it should be the same as it was 20 years ago. As far as making the toys safer for the kids, have you seen some of the accessories on the R.I.D line?
Kids could choke on those just as easy....
never again
Protoform

Post by never again »

it's not like any of those toys are supposed to be for babies anyway.

as far as the hundred-dollar japanese prime goes, i'm glad i got that though cause it comes with the matrix and action master prime and some other stuff, and the original prime mint and complete would've run about the same area, especially with the box.
I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by never again
it's not like any of those toys are supposed to be for babies anyway.
But they're being sold cheaply through Toys R Us...a kids store.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Cheaply?
Scourge is twice the size of G1 Prime and was $10 less. And most parents of small children will not pay $20 for Hot Rod when they could have Super Side Burn for half that.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

When the Classic Heroes were issued in the UK, they worked out at ~£15 ...so yes, $20 for Hot Rod is cheap, since he should have metal toes and all mod cons. It's certainly much cheaper than imports.
swipe
Protoform

Post by swipe »

Well never again your are right the extras that come with the prime reissue are cool[a friend of mine has one] but are they $60.00 dollar cool? Please don't take that the wrong way.

With the reissues at a toy store most boxes do have the "for ages __ and up"on them. But that comes down to the parents.
How many of you have little brothers etc. that like to eat things they shouldn't?
never again
Protoform

Post by never again »

"But they're being sold cheaply through Toys R Us...a kids store."

kids do not = babies.

"Well never again your are right the extras that come with the prime reissue are cool[a friend of mine has one] but are they $60.00 dollar cool? Please don't take that the wrong way. "

when comparing it to the option of getting a hold of the ORIGINAL mib for the same amount or more, yes, it is that cool. basicly if i my three options for getting ahold of a mib g1 prime are: an expensive original, an expensive japanese reissue with extra's, a cheap american reissue with no extra's, the japanese is the most appealing out of all those. not only that but i didn't know they were going to come out with an american reissue when i got the jap one but i still have no regrets. i don't like paying too much for anything but once in a while a novelty comes around that's worth it, and for me this was one of them.

"How many of you have little brothers etc. that like to eat things they shouldn't?"

like many household items, toys for older kids shouldn't be left around for toddlers to get a hold of and chew off prime's fists, unless all the small parts are removed ahead of time and they play with them under some supervision.
I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE!