Best Comic Book movies ever??

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Zisteau

Best Comic Book movies ever??

Post by Zisteau »

Since someone (I won't name names)seems to think the Burton Batman is the best Comic Book movie of all time, I felt this thread was needed.

My favs:

1. Superman II
2. Road to Perdition*
3. Spider Man 2
4. Hell Boy
5. The Rocketeer

*Yep. Based on a graphic novel (stick your nose up when you say graphic novel)which was in turn based on the Lone Wolf and Cub manga.

Well, we all have our preferenced. Let the slugfest begin.

Edit-**Damn. Was gonna include a poll but didn't check it.
malcos
Protoform

Post by malcos »

Not many I can think of off-hand, but I liked the Blade trilogy.
Thanks to Mininin for the sig.

Click here for Ravnica: City of Guilds spoilers
Originally posted by Sir Auros
fuci, everthing that movew!
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Based on the trailer alone I'm going with Batman Begins, and Sin City. Hellboy was enjoyable, but had a weak ending. Also I believe Nick Fury is the best comic book movie.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

I thought Hellboy was awful, it could have been so much better. i didnt like the guy who played him. i didnt like any of the superman films either.

ok now the ones i do like:-
Spidey & Spidey2 (even though i feel they could have been better)

All the Batman films up until Batman Forever...even though it heralded the neon Gotham age, it was enjoyable.

Daredevil

X-Men 1&2

:smokin:

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

X-Men 2
Spider-Man 2
Batman
*Batman Begins
*Sin City

* These films are gonna rock, the mere style of sin city will make me love it...
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

X-Men 1 & 2
Spiderman 1 & 2
Blade
Superman 2
Batman: The Movie (1966)
Hound

Post by Hound »

X-Men 2
From Hell
Superman 2
Spider-Man 2
X-Men
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

In no particular order...

Hellboy
Blade
The Crow
Spider-Man 2
X-Men 2
Mystery Men
Superman II

I'm tempted to put Men in Black in, but it doesn't quite make the grade.

On the subject of the Batman movies, they pretty much all bored me to tears, with the exception of Batman Forever, which I found thoroughly entertaining, but I'd never hold it up as a good film.

How did Ghostbusters start out life?
Originally posted by Prowl1984
I thought Hellboy was awful

ok now the ones i do like:-
Daredevil

Well... no comment... :eyebrow:
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
How did Ghostbusters start out life?

As an idea for movie by Dan Akyroid (sp?) for him and John Belushi to star in.

Back on topic:
Batman and Robin (the 1947 serial)
Captain Marvel (the best serial of all time!)
Superman II
Superman
Batman (1989)
Justice League: Starcrossed
Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker-The Director's Cut
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
The Crow
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Speaking strictly live-action and strictly theatrical release...

Marvel

1: Spider-Man 2
2: X2
3: Spider-Man
4: Blade
5: Punisher (2003)
6: X-Men
7: Howard the Duck

Yes, I find Howard the Duck to be exponentially more entertaining than either Daredevil, Elektra, Hulk or any of the Blade sequels (though Trinity had its moments thanks solely to Ryan Reynolds).

DC (oh crap, this isn't easy)

1: Batman (1989)
2: Constantine
3: Superman II
4: Superman the Movie
5: Batman the Movie (Bat-Shark-Repellent)
6: Swamp Thing
7: The Karate Kid (I've never actually SEEN the movie, but I assume it's about the Legion of Superheroes...right?)

Other

1: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Movie
2: Hellboy
3: The Guyver 2: Dark Hero
4: The Mask
5: The Guyver

Yes, I've seen TONS of other comic book movies, including all the Batman sequels, Spawn the Movie, Return of Swamp Thing and LXG, but I only listed the ones I got the most entertainment value out of, even if that entertainment came from how awful they were.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Movie

Far better than it ever had any right to be, IMNSHO.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
Far better than it ever had any right to be, IMNSHO.

Were if I were to combine DC, Marvel and Other, TMNT the movie would be in the top 5 and DC would be...absent.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Well... no comment...

hey dude, if you ignore the fact that Ben Affleck played him its pretty damned good. I preferred seeing the dark marvel hero rather than all the shinyness and bright colours of Spidey...spidey was a better film but Daredevil Kicked Hellboy. :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Spiderman 2 was by far the best comic movie ever made.

Also liked:

Batman (the sequels sucked)
Blade (the sequels sucked too)
Superman 1 & 2
X-Men 1 & 2
Spiderman
Yes, I find Howard the Duck to be exponentially more entertaining than either Daredevil, Elektra, Hulk or any of the Blade sequels (though Trinity had its moments thanks solely to Ryan Reynolds).

Agreed, but you also forgot to include Hellsing, Batman & Robin, TMNT 2 & 3 and Supermans 3 & 4.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

My top 10, in no particular order:

Batman
X-Men 2
Hellboy
Rocketeer (seen it again recently and it still rocketh)
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
From Hell
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles 2
Superman 2

I bet I left out about something important...

The others which deserve mentioning are Superman, The Mask, Blade and X-Men (if only for the last twenty or so minutes). And I enjoy Daredevil in a similar way Brend enjoys Batman Forever. Batman Forever I actaully enjoy, too.

Which comic company released Mystery Men as a comic and who worked on it? I was told it was Dark Horse but on their homepage there's only two-issue mini-series listed, which is probably the movie adaptation.

I have to see it anyway, since it has Claire Forlani in it. :)
The Karate Kid (I've never actually SEEN the movie, but I assume it's about the Legion of Superheroes...right?)
No. :)
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I was just watching Guyver: Dark Hero yesterday, as it happens.

Oh, and in the UK, Guyver (the first live action one) was called Mutronics: The Movie. Possibly Mark Hamills greatest role.

I could name a ton of comic movies. Its funny how they've consistanly been made over the last 20 years at least, but its only recently that they've really been heavily associated with the comics by the general public (well, there were others that got made a big deal about). For instance, when Blade came out, most people were stunned when I pointed out it was based on a comic.

X-Men was tits. X-2 was really good, but that first one sucked more than a thai hooker.

Not sure about the Blade sequels, but I'd certainly rate Howard the Duck above Daredevil. Mind you, I'd rate self-circumcision without any anaesthetic above watching Daredevil, so I guess its not that high a compliment. I recently read a load of Howard the duck comics. They blow the movie right out of the water.

edit: oh and prowl, if daredevil kicked Hellboy, all that'd achieve is a broken foot for that lame duck of a flick. Hellboy was actually good.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Just remembered that I saw a big movie poster of The Fantastic 4 that's supposed to come out in the summer. Has there been a teaser or trailer that's made its way to the internet yet?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Prowl1984
hey dude, if you ignore the fact that Ben Affleck played him its pretty damned good. I preferred seeing the dark marvel hero rather than all the shinyness and bright colours of Spidey...spidey was a better film but Daredevil Kicked Hellboy. :smokin:

Hard to ignore Affleck when he's the main character. And he certainly was enough to ruin the movie all on his own. But luckily for him, there were plenty of other crappy parts to help shoulder the blame.

The lack of logic, or at least coherency between his origin story and his current situation. Who made him his costume if he's blind? If he's a probono lawyer who gets paid in fish and toys, how did he afford that high tech apartment? Where's Stick?

The soundtrack consisted of Evenessance and everything you hear on the radio 50 times a day becuase it's really really popular.

"I'll fight you for your phone number on a see-saw."

Jennifer Garner. Can't understand the attraction to her. She's frighteningly skinny and she has old lady cheekbones.

It's the worst of the recent Marvel Movies. At least, that's what I think of it.

EDIT
Agreed, but you also forgot to include Hellsing, Batman & Robin, TMNT 2 & 3 and Supermans 3 & 4.
That's because I was listing theatrical Marvel Comics films. The ones you listed are from DC, Mirage and...they made a live action Hellsing movie?

Also, here's a really good comic book movie I forgot which would have scored highly in my "other" category. Men in Black. The first one, anyway. Dated effects, but still a lot of fun. And it spawned a really good cartoon series.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

hmm...i understand the ridiculousness of the see-saw, and the soundtrack, as well as the incoherencies. but as a STORY which is what a movie is in my view, i thought it was great. Hellboy's ending was far to dissapointing for me, good storyline yes, good action sequences yes, but the guy who played him was far too wooden for me to like it or relate to it. *waits for inevitable Ben Affleck comparisons* im not rooting for Affleck here, he sucks, i just thought that he was easier to relate to as a character and could handle a main role alot better than the Hellboy guy who was better at playing background characters in other films. :smokin:

Hunter S.Thompson
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

That's because I was listing theatrical Marvel Comics films. The ones you listed are from DC, Mirage and...they made a live action Hellsing movie?

Whoopsy! Nah, I meant that pile of crapfest titled "Van Helsing." My bad.

That would be cool, however if they did make a live action Hellsing movie. That cartoon kicked ass!