transformers the movie reconstructed worth purchasing?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Prowl1984

transformers the movie reconstructed worth purchasing?

Post by Prowl1984 »

hey people, i was just wandering if the new re-release of TF:TM over here in the uk is worth buying? has anyone on here got it yet? all ive heard is that its been visually enhanced and the sound's better, oh and something about alternate scenes for the uk and us

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Chris McFeely recently posted a review:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/thread81635.html
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I liked it, didn't notice any extra image on the sides (though staring did help me notice a few things that were probably always there but I hadn't spoted before, like Cliffjumper waving madly as the shuttle takes off). However, the picture quality is fantastic, superior the the previous Maverick release which wasn't to shoody to start with.

One odity not mentioned in the review above is that the first episode of Headmasters is edited- The first few minuets recaping the story so far is gone (removed so anyone who'd just watched the movie wouldn't be confussed by the slightly different death for Prime?), as is the "Next episode" trailer at the end. Does anyone knows if these are going to be back in the boxset? Also, having decided to go with American rather than Japanese terminology (which isn't somthing I have a problem with), there's a few times where forget to translate names. Twice we get a reference to "Cybertron base" which should probably now be Autobot base, and more problomatic, Hot Rod gets called Rodimus (which could get confusing by the third episode). Still, bar a few niggles it is a good sub.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I will look into getting it when I get some extra money and some free time to look for it online.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
One odity not mentioned in the review above is that the first episode of Headmasters is edited- The first few minuets recaping the story so far is gone (removed so anyone who'd just watched the movie wouldn't be confussed by the slightly different death for Prime?), as is the "Next episode" trailer at the end. Does anyone knows if these are going to be back in the boxset?
Yeah, I was saving this to talk about when I review the boxset itself. But, unfortunately, no, these will not be in the boxset - for some strange reason, none of the episode master copies have the "next episode" previews at the end of them, and any eps with sequences before their title cards (like the recap in ep 1, or any "previously on Headmasters" summaries) are also lacking in them. I can't explain why this is, honestly. But I took special care to point out this fact in the set's booklet and on the commentary, to make sure to fill viewers in - the existence of the Autobot base on Athenia is introduced in that recap, and you rather need to know about it, otherwise it just seems to come out of nowhere.
Also, having decided to go with American rather than Japanese terminology (which isn't somthing I have a problem with), there's a few times where forget to translate names. Twice we get a reference to "Cybertron base" which should probably now be Autobot base, and more problomatic, Hot Rod gets called Rodimus (which could get confusing by the third episode). Still, bar a few niggles it is a good sub.

This, however, WILL be corrected for the set - this episode was subtitled using an older script, before I proofread it (and the rest of the series... that was a long week or two).

The reason for the Rodimus thing is because he's not actually called "Hot Rodimus" in dialogue - just the short form "Rodimus." So when the subtitlers consulted the list of different names, and search-and-replaced for "Hot Rodimus," they didn't come up with anything, so the "Rodimus"es went by untouched.

Similarly, I should have clearly spelled out the whole Cybertron/Seibertron thing for the subtitlers, because I knew it was going to be confusing and would lead to things like the "Cybertron Base".

But I've combed all 35 scripts for this stuff and corrected it as well as some tiny, sparing lines where the translation was flubbed - in the first episode, for example, Prime tells Jazz to "deploy support troops to Earth." That ain't right - they're being deployed *From* Earth, to Cybertron. So stuff like that was caught, as was altering stuff to be TF-specific.

For example, there's that line of Hound's, "Maybe when matrix energy was released, it caused a malfunction in Vector Sigma," which I tweaked to: "Maybe when the energy of the Matrix was released..." TF-accurate, like. Same with Grimlock's dialogue. "I didn't know you were Headmasters! I'm Grimlock and I'll do you all in !" becomes: "Me Grimlock not know what Headmasters are... but me still smash you!"
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I heard the edges of the movie change from corners to rounded and back occasionally... does that get distracting at all
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

In my opinion, not in the slightest.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by CounterPunch
I heard the edges of the movie change from corners to rounded and back occasionally... does that get distracting at all

You get used to it after the first few minuets- And even if you find in unbearable if your TV's anything like my two you should be able to change the screen ration so the picture zooms in to remove the bars (though this will also remove the new footage at the sides).

I'm really pleased to read about the amount of effort that's being put into geting the subtitles as accurate as possible, Headmasters will never be high art but I still find it entertaining.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sonic500
Originally posted by turtleboy
The discussion's about a specific (and currently UK-only) release of the film. Shoo.

I'm disappointed to hear that the audio has been messed around with, but the inclusion of the the Japanese promotional footage means I'll probably pick this up when it gets remaindered...

Also not thrilled by the possibility of yet another release after this one, unless it'll involve fixing things.

Seriously, how difficult is it for a company to put this film out and not screw with the film itself, but just add a few simple extras?

What I'd like out of a TF:TM DVD...

- Clear print showing available film area, without 'restoration' in the form of over-saturation (as with the Rhino release.)

- Original audio, with or without Spike cursing. I'm not fussed, as long as the music isn't muted (Maverick, Rhino) or screwed around with (Metrodome.) Prism managed this, why the hell can't others?

- (Optional) original scrolltext and voiceovers from the UK release, in the form of separate extras if needs be.

- Trailer and promo footage.

- Draft script, transcript as produced. Storyboards would be nice.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Denyer
What I'd like out of a TF:TM DVD...

- Clear print showing available film area, without 'restoration' in the form of over-saturation (as with the Rhino release.)

- Original audio, with or without Spike cursing. I'm not fussed, as long as the music isn't muted (Maverick, Rhino) or screwed around with (Metrodome.) Prism managed this, why the hell can't others?

- (Optional) original scrolltext and voiceovers from the UK release, in the form of separate extras if needs be.

- Trailer and promo footage.

- Draft script, transcript as produced. Storyboards would be nice.

Well, bar the storyboards, that is preaty much what you get (plus the Headmasters episode, and some suprisingly soothing credits/lazer blasts test fotage).

Incidently, the Sharkticon toy ad/trailer is quite simply the best thing in the entire history of creation.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

The Sharkticon ad is the best thing (on the disc). I just hated seeing it about four times or more repeatedly, as it did.

The movie itself is allright but it gets dark in some areas and that was one thing I didn't like. The opposite occurs and some scenes appear too bright but most of the time everything is fine.

The actual dimensions didn't bother me in the slightest except for one really bright white line at the right side that occurred during the opening.

The only thing really wrong with it is the sound. If the sound was fine it would have been a great release of the movie.

The extras apart from the Sharkticon ad and the one where the kid turns into Galvatron, and the Headmasters episode, are quite crap considering the bios were directly copied from the Austrailian release I believe and they even left out features on them IIRC.

I would have liked an option of sound and also what version of the movie you want (UK/US) and then it would have seemed really good to me.

Anyway, thats just my opinion.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by DrEvil
The Sharkticon ad is the best thing (on the disc). I just hated seeing it about four times or more repeatedly, as it did.

To be fair there was only, at the most, three or four distinctly different TV spots on the disc- the rest were all the same with a different last line ("Opening in three/Two/One days!"). If they'd have missed any out, they'd have been moaned at by completists. I just skipped through ther repeated ones- Except for the Sharkticon ones of course, which are indeed the most marvelous thing in all of christendom.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Ermm tbh im not really too sure what to think of this new remastered version... The picture size is friggin tiny, its like watchin somethin not on full screen on media player. Alot of the time the clean up process looks wicked, but others it looks like they either didnt touch it or they brightened it too much, some of the colours sometimes have changed cos its brightened up.

But it does have alot of good things going for it, most of all is the sound... so amazing, im hearing things ive never heard before, i have a problem with my eye sight so i usually miss small things going on onscreen, but i normally hear them, and it felt like a bit of a different film!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I'm not going to bother since I have the Madman version.

So now I'm just going to wait for the Headmasters DVDs.
Destruction is my specialty
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

Brought it yesterday and saw it last Night their were some deleted scences (like a female from Linthos Avoiding rubble as Unicron came closer) sharper Images and the free stuffs not too bad.
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

linthos ?
whats that ? a new linux distribution ?
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

The 1st planet Unicron Consumes!
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

i always thought it was lithone

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

Tomatoes Tomatos;)
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

ketchup
and linthos stil sounds like a linux distro