anyone reading new avengers?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hawkeye
Protoform

anyone reading new avengers?

Post by Hawkeye »

I only recently got the net back after quite some time so I never had the chance to discuss it yet. Despite not being very happy that my team is gone this series is shaping up to be good. The first issue was standard "bendis-new marvel" fare with splash pages abound but the second issue and third kept getting better and better. definetely one of the best books marvel is putting out.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

I've read the first two issues. Its alright, I perfer Ultimates 2. From what I've read in Wizard Spiderman joining the Avegers seems the most interesting.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah you ought to check out the third. while this statement may be open to interpretation i think the way cap is written in this issue in particular was the most in character in a long time.

im really looking forward to the 4th issue
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

This is the first time that I've ever actually picked up an Avengers book, and so far I like what I'm seeing. I'm not really looking forward to Wolverine joining the team. I think a different X-man like Iceman or Nightcrawler would be more interesting. And I hope the team gets another female member other than Spidergirl.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

I read issue 3 today. Not bad, I want to see what happens to the Avengers in House of M. I think there should be a few more female memebers as well. Maybe She-hulk or Black Widow. So far I don't like Spider-woman.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I think it should have been beast......if any x-man.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
I think it should have been beast......if any x-man.

Yeah, but he's already been an Avenger. Give someone else a chance.

I agree, though, that it shouldn't be Wolverine. For one thing, he's spread across enough books as it is, and one as large as Avengers is stretching it far too much. For another, I'm kind of sick of Wolverine. He's everywhere. Everywhere.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Yeah i would have suggested someone other than beast but i was thinking the most logical choice....its not like with the other more prominant avengers where they were completely devastated and called it quits with various excuses. this guy is a full time costumed adventurer type already. I was just thinking from a story point of view it would be more logical than say .....gambit or something. but from a "new avengers try new concepts point of view" than someone other than beast is necessary. I just wish it wasnt wolverine.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I have been nothing but impressed with the New Avengers so far. I'm a little sceptical of Logan being in there as well, but the way Bendis has written the Logan/Spidey interactions in the Secret War issues that have come out thusfar gives me a ray of hope.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah i dint check out secret war....6 titles a month is pushing it for me. Maybe ill get it if they ever put it into trade...ok its marvel so it will be a trade.

welcome to the board dude! good to see another comics guy around here to talk to (not like theres a shortage but y'know the more the merrier).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

So this New Avengers - it's actually The Secret Defenders, but all kewl because Bendis writes it? Hmmm.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

actually im not much of a bendis fan really.... and i wasnt overly impressed with the first issue as it was incredibly decompressed w/ splash pages galore and i really felt dissapointed.

but the second issue had alot of stuff going on and felt more perez style with lotsa people on panel at once and I really started to enjoy it. and the character moments in the third was really great. its shaping up to be quite the series.

one of the things i like about the series is that bendis tried to make it seem as "avengers" as possible even with the drastic turn of events. cap decides after the initial crisis in which they all just happened to be there as being very similar to the turn of events that united the first team. Cap's sense of tradition and love of the original team inspired him to form a new one out of all the people that were there in the prison break.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

*BUMP*

My god... how great is this book?

I got the TPB [Breakout], na dpicked up #7 & #8 (the first two parts of 'The Sentry' storyarc). I love it.

I'd still like to know who the mysterious ninja is though. Lets see:

1-1 new character

50-1 another Spider-Clone

100-1 Night Thrasher

500-1 Daniel Rand (Iron Fist)

1,000-1 Shang Chi

5,000-1 a reformed villain

25,000-1 Marc Spector

6,000,000-1 Matt Murdock

125,000,000-1 Snake Eyes in a new costume

[EDIT]
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah the ninja's name is going to be "ronin" as for who he is I have no idea........I thought it was going to be daredevil as he suggested his current identity could bring the team down. but marvel has publicly denied that it is him.

annother clue we have been given from comic-con panels is that it is someone cap trusts and will be put in the new line-up because of this.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

D-Man! Nomad! Diamondback! Someone else crap and forgettable from the Cap Soap era!

It should be USAgent. He should be in every damn book ever.

VILLAIN: Okay, I surrender!
*USAgent jams a jagged fragment of glass through villain's neck, then pisses in the wound*

USAgent is ****ing awesome.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Young Avengers is better.

Also, never trust the Marvel press machine. They lied about Sentry to generate buzz for the mini-series a few years ago, they're probably lying about Ronin.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
D-Man! Nomad! Diamondback! Someone else crap and forgettable from the Cap Soap era!

Sarcasim noted but Diamond Back was a good character and "Streets of poison" was a really good and fresh Cap story.

*USAgent jams a jagged fragment of glass through villain's neck, then pisses in the wound*

He is. Such a under-rated character who suffers from MNarvel's policy only chraracters from the stan Lee era should get a first class creative team and protection from writers who like to s##t on characters made since to make their writing "Kwel".
Loki
Protoform

Post by Loki »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper

Isn't D-man still buried under ice somewhere or did I miss the foil cover anniversary issue detailing his resurrection? Nomad under FabNic was pretty good (and he's better as Scourge) and don't dis diamondback. I enjoyed the cap soap years.

USAgent was good when he was the anti cap (and better when he was cap) but he's just been f**ked with too often...
Wolfang

SPOILER WARNING!

Post by Wolfang »

Just like many Marvel characters, then....

I know I'm gonna sound stupid for asking, but why is there only one female on the team? Ah, never mind....

Luke Cage's philosophy about everyone being pieces of crap is great.

Spidey is far funnier than I remember.

Cap seems a bit... hesitant. Not completely certain of what he's doing. I like that. It makes him seem human rather than this unstoppable one-man fighting force (which he actually is).

Tony is developing some of the same paranoia strains as Batman. Is this disaffected rich boy vigilante disorder catching or what?

Spider-Woman... not so sure about yet. Who's she working for?

And Wolverine finally goes back to being a feral runt who gets his butt handed to him and then comes back roaring and slashing at people. Joy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this series.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

nomad is dead in bru's current cap series*. I really like young avengers
as well it's going way beyond my initial expectations of a teen titans clone (and as i think titans is the shiznit that would have been good enough)

*I know, I know this means nothing....but still.....