Oh my Ideon! AWESOME FAKE LEGO!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Oh my Ideon! AWESOME FAKE LEGO!

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0291298281

I don't have time for Mega-Bloks or any of that shite, but this really does look like it uses Lego moulds for the most part; crucially the Minifigs look about right. And look at that stuff - a destroyer, an aircraft carrier (even though it looks like a scale model thing rather than something Minifigs can interact with), a tank, a little Communist Stealth Bomber...
THIS IS COMMUNISM!

Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Those are AWESOME. And they seem to be much cheaper than actual LEGO too. :p
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/a2zever_Toys-H ... idZ2QQtZkm

Seems to be a good selection, with some good prices... I've bought the jeep to suss out plastic quality. I don't doubt it's compatible, but is whether the plastic is nasty that'll be the deal-breaker.

Some of the sets (like the Ferrari ones, and the Pirate ships) seem to be outright bootlegs, but the army stuff especially looks like new designs - some of them I just wouldn't mind having the instructions for. The drill camp is neat too. And the riot police, with their little batons...
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I want the missile truck, myself.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I remember seeing Megablock's do an aircraft carrier just like that one a long time ago.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, this arrived today. It's actually rather impressive.

Quality-wise, you can just about tell it's not real Lego, but only for minor reasons. The plastic is strong, fits together well and is 100% compatible with Lego.

Two slight quality issues - occasionally there are marks and the odd notch where the parts have been separated from their moulding trees; however, the notches can be cut off with a scalpel or modelling knife, while the marks were so few it was easy enough to shuffle pieces around until they were all hidden. The other is all the decals seem to be tamographed, but not quite as well as official Lego markings - I didn't try, but I'm guessing kids could scratch them off. They do look sharp, apart from the red star on the commander's cap, which is more sort of pink, however.

The yellow seems to be a tone or two darker as well. The set comes with a box and set of instructions that are basically exactly the same style as real Lego sets - the instructions weren't so important on something like this, but it's nice to know they've done them properly for if I ever get any larger sets.

The model itself looks rather good... being a military jeep I can forgive the six-blocks-wide design, and this thing IS the USSR. They haven't cut many corners with the parts. The only 'odd' bits are the steering wheel and the lights - the former is fine as a part, but is moulded in all-green rather than the red/black shown in the instructions; while flourescent green is an odd choice for the headlights.

The minifigs are fantastic. I'm not particularly up to date with Lego, but the uniform decals seem to be self-devised (I won't swear to it, though - for all I know they're Indiana Jones Nazis... even if they are something like that, it looks superb). The soldier's helmet may well be a new piece - it's not just something helmet-shaped in dark green, it really looks like a soldier's helmet.
Also, it's not shown on the box, in the instructions or in the seller's picture (so it might just be a mispackaging on this one example), but I got a little AK-47 with the set as well - it's an awesome little thing, with about three places a Minifig can hold it. Again, not sure if it's been in an official set and I've just missed it, but it fits beautifully (I was a bit worried it was just something taken from another range that the figures would struggle to hold).

In short, super-impressed, and anything from the Enlighten Brick series is recommended for people to give a try.