Sour grapes: the would-be toys of Fun Publications

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Sour grapes: the would-be toys of Fun Publications

Post by Clay »

Here's some pictures of what they were planning for a 2017 botcon, titans return figures done up as actionmasters mostly.

I wonder if all of those figures were conceptualized before they lost the license. I'm sure they had the free time to paint them afterwards.

I like the Black Shadow done up as Energon Megatron. It works pretty well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

More decent ideas there than in most years of the club and convention, although the CW jets and the gorilla Pretender were great stuff and I'm glad to have picked up the latter.

With more CW repaints coming down the pipe in Prime Wars hopefully we might see one or two of the jet decos get a wider release.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, Hasbro in the past haven't been shy to release stuff that were convention exclusives in years previous (the classics seekers being the biggest example, but there may have been others). The other thing to consider is that as Hasbro have gotten braver and braver about the late-era G1 stuff, the territory for the club exclusives has gotten smaller and smaller. It was just a matter of time before they were reduced to the shattered glass stuff, which they generally could keep as far as I was concerned.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clay wrote:I wonder if all of those figures were conceptualized before they lost the license. I'm sure they had the free time to paint them afterwards.
I'd be surprised if any of them were. We knew by the end of 2015 that FunPub was on the way out, and I can't imagine Hasbro was sharing details of upcoming toys with them once they decided to pull the plug. A lot of these molds were things that probably weren't even put on paper when Hasbro made the decision.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:I'd be surprised if any of them were. We knew by the end of 2015 that FunPub was on the way out, and I can't imagine Hasbro was sharing details of upcoming toys with them once they decided to pull the plug. A lot of these molds were things that probably weren't even put on paper when Hasbro made the decision.
Yeah, that's what I mean by sour grapes. If Hasbro had yanked the convention license and gave it to another fan-run organization, I could understand being miffed about it, but that's not what's happening. Hasbro seem to be consolidating everything they do into one big convention in their own back yard, which is a fair measure different. Fun Publications had a good run with it, but there's no need for them to be pouty-pants about it by saying, "look at what we were going to do, it would have been so awesome!!!1".

Still, I like some of the ideas. Maybe Hasbro will make a few of them down the road anyway.