(1986) Movie adaptation comic by Budiansky / Figueroa, now with images from Comic-Con

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

New Diamond listings for November

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103229

Some new toys we've been hearing about from other sources, a weird listing for the old HoC PVCs (overstock?) and, most interesting of it all:
TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED MOVIE ADAPTATION #1
Bob Budiansky (w), Don Figueroa (a & c)
20th Anniversary Celebration! Before the release of the all-new, live-action Transformers movie next summer, take an extended look back at a classic — the animated 1986 Transformers: The Movie. Joining present-day TF legend, artist Don Figueroa, is returning writer and fellow TF master Bob Budiansky, the man responsible for some of
the most beloved ’80s Transformers comics. Together, they present this four-part adaptation, adding in extra scenes and little touches for fans of all ages.
FC, 32pgs $3.99
More details + images:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... ormers.htm
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

So much for the news making it to Comic-Con first... ;)

This is gonna be interesting. At the very least, it's going to be an adaptation that doesn't suck donkey balls... :up:

http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/index.php?s=movie
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

At least it might get Unicron out of their system...
-Alex???
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Am I the only one seriously disappointed? I was hoping for a new take on Transformers from Budiansky.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's a good bit of PR (interest from comics and cartoon fans) and a way for Budiansky to get into the swing of TF again?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Hopefully the extra touches will include logic and a coherent plot for the latter half...
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Hopefully the extra touches will include logic and a coherent plot for the latter half...
Almost complete rewrite would be needed.

I'll give this mini-series a pass. Might get the obligatory TPB if there are good reviews.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, that's not exactly what I was hoping for from this combo. A remake of a film we all have on VHS/DVD anyway! With added fanboy in-jokes! The fanboys will complain that it's different to the film, the rest of us will complain that it's based on a terrible premise. Why the Hell is Bob's much fan-fared task to be to perform a bit of script editing on a 20-year old Ron Freidman screenplay? Isn't that a bit like coaxing Warren Ellis back onto The Authority and asking him to basically just put a couple of new scenes into Coup D'Etat?

Difference between this and DW G1 anyway? Shame on IDW. Hell, shame on Bob for agreeing to the thing.

Still, I'm up for paying $12 for the same old rope! Why not, eh? Plucky Little IDW will starve if we don't...
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Still, I'm up for paying $12 for the same old rope! Why not, eh? Plucky Little IDW will starve if we don't...
4 X $3.99 -> $16 IDW aiming for the nostalgy group. I suppose they're also hoping good TPB sales for this mini-series?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Given that it particularly suits a trade paperback format, I hope this doesn't run with previews for other comics / letters in the back. Sketches and/or interview material would be much more appropriate.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Does anyone else suspect this will just be a reprint of Budiansky's original adaptation of the movie, with new art?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Angelophile
Does anyone else suspect this will just be a reprint of Budiansky's original adaptation of the movie
Eh?

The piece-of-**** Marvel adaptation of the movie was by Ralph Macchio.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Angelophile
Does anyone else suspect this will just be a reprint of Budiansky's original adaptation of the movie, with new art?

Could be, actually... extra scenes and little touches could mean the bits included in the mini that didn't make the script.

That said, even allowing for the huge limitations of Lucas' screenplay, the adaptation was pretty damn poor. Mind, I'd love to see that brain-**** Sludge infodump in a modern-looking comic.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Originally posted by Denyer
Eh?

Ahah.

In that case, ignore that.

Also in which case, what a waste of Budiansky.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer

Didn't Bob basically write it, but wasn't credited as writer because he was editor - cf. "The Big Broadcast of 2006"? And old mucker Ralph just took the writing credit, with neither of them actually giving a toss as the things basically wrote and edited themselves anyway?

Have to dig through the old CDRs looking for where I heard that.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Didn't Bob basically write it, but wasn't credited as writer because he was editor - cf. "The Big Broadcast of 2006"? And old mucker Ralph just took the writing credit, with neither of them actually giving a toss as the things basically wrote and edited themselves anyway?

Have to dig through the old CDRs looking for where I heard that.
First time I've read that. Though to be honest I haven't paid much attention to that movie adaptation. I've propably said it before but Finnish publish of TFTM adaptation was the first thing I learned of existence of Transformers. It took me over two years until I gave the comic a second chance. :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I honestly can't remember the source... it could well have been one of the slightly unreliable "I heard that..." emails I used to get via me old site... It can't have been a convention, as Bob didn't do them at that point, and most interviews with him didn't really touch upon Transformers. It does sound plausible, but no more plausible than Ralph just writing them anyway.

I shall do some digging, but it may take a while... there's about 1MB of TF stuff on my hard-drive... That said, that it didn't make the comic guide I did means I probably thought the source was a little dubious. But then I did include things Simon Furman had made up on the spot at conventions.

Why do we need a semi-respectable adaptation of the film again?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

This is the most meh thing ever... When I saw the topic title I assumed Bob and Don (the space age Chas and Dave) were doing the adaption of the new Movie. Considering one of the things that Bob's moaned about working for Marvel is the rapid introsuction of charecters why would he want to do an adaption of a script that is nothing but rapid introduction of new charecters? (Unless the money was so insanely good he couldn't say no?).

IDW would have been better of doing the original movie comic in Generations...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!