Spotlight Drift Info Thread

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Spotlight Drift Info Thread

Post by zigzagger »

Chris Ryall updates his blog - twice actually - with images and information for the upcoming Transformers Spotlight: Drift (You know, the 'bot Shane McCarthy dreamt up for AHM). Shane McCarthy will of course be handling the story, while Casey Coller will handle the artistic duties. The issue is due some time around April 2009.

December 7th entry
and...
December 8th entry

Mirrored
ImageImage
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

zigzagger wrote:Casey Coller
The one who used to play for Spurs, yeh?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They really don't want us to forget he's Japanese do they?

I've actually warmed to Drift despite the dull design (I actually prefer his Cybertronian look). The way he was introduced subtley was about the only subtle thing in that issue of AHM and he has the huge advantage that if he turns out to be shite at least he won't have been a previously established good character who suddenly became shite for no reason.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Well, he's already been described as embarassingly "kewl" (in a way that not even a teenager could devise): how much worse could he get? :D

And there I was hoping to see Mowry's Spotlight: Cosmos.
So far, I haven't been disappointed... for avoiding to preorder this Spotlight volume. And I think I won't buy the TBP either.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

WTF?

Now I see the difference between Furman and McCarthy.

Furman: introduces fanmades, which die in an issue or two. or three for Grindcore. Well, except for the likes of Xaaron, who somehow survives longer- much longer than that.

McCarthy: introduces fanmades, then makes a Spotlight issue for them.

No, seriously. Blurr and Cosmos and Jazz I get, and the more obscure Sixshot makes sense as well. But a fanmade as a Spotlight material??? WTF?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Hasbro need to shift the toy.
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

Has anybody seen anything of the toy yet?
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I wonder how well I'd get on with IDW if I sent them a pitch for "Spotlight: Character I Just Made Up"

It's not like my resumé has anything with less artistic merit than AHM...
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Is really a comic book of use for this promotional things? I mean, it's not like a cartoon seen by a large audience.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

MeGrimlock wrote:Is really a comic book of use for this promotional things? I mean, it's not like a cartoon seen by a large audience.
Consider that the original TF comic was basically conceived as an advert. And define "large audience" before I just assume that you're implying any animation automatically has viewing figures larger than any comic's circulation.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Halfshell wrote:I wonder how well I'd get on with IDW if I sent them a pitch for "Spotlight: Character I Just Made Up"
Yes, but is your character totally clichéed? And do you provide an introductory description where you state that he's incredibly original and zen and martial and so on? :P
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Halfshell wrote: And define "large audience" before I just assume that you're implying any animation automatically has viewing figures larger than any comic's circulation.
Yes, that is what I was implying ^^''
Isn't it believable?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

More people probably watch tv than read comics, but what makes you think a TF cartoon will automatically be seen by a "large" audience?

Of people with disposable income?

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyViewingSummary
Cartoon Network (in the UK) averages about 2000 viewers per week.

I don't have figures for TF comic sales in the UK. But considering that not even Diamond's Official Copies Sold to Retailers are anywhere near accurate (allegedly), we can safely assume that 27 billion people in the UK are buying All Hail Megatron every day.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Halfshell wrote:More people probably watch tv than read comics, but what makes you think a TF cartoon will automatically be seen by a "large" audience?

Of people with disposable income?
My assumption (that I cannot prove) is that a cartoon reaches a larger audience made of children and works as an effective advertising tool.
I think it works better that a comic book, because the comick book must be bought and then read; instead, television is just there in every home and you just have to turn it on and place your children in front of the screen.
Yes, the children have no disposable income, but they can exasperate their parents until they obtain the toys.
The comic books, on the other hand, are probably bought by Tf fans who already know and collect the toys.
http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyViewingSummary
:|
That's... ok, maybe my country has a different relationship with television (and this is an embarassing topic that I'd like to drop just now).
I don't have figures for TF comic sales in the UK. But considering that not even Diamond's Official Copies Sold to Retailers are anywhere near accurate (allegedly), we can safely assume that 27 billion people in the UK are buying All Hail Megatron every day.
:D
>:-D
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Halfshell wrote:http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyViewingSummary
Erm, that's a little bit off, as the top rated shows on Cartoon Network pulled in between 70,000 and 90,000 viewers each. The figures quoted are multiple of 000s, so CN's total weekly reach is 2 million.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyTopProgrammes?_s=4
borg72

Post by borg72 »

toys are marketed as much at parents as children (do we need to discuss this, or de we generally agree with me on this one?); parents have little to no exposure to comics their kids buy, even those who buy them for their kids AND flick through the pages to check suitability etc would be unlikely to take much actual detail in. cartoons, on the other hand, get passive viewership, if only by virtue of being on, being loud, and being in the same (or adjacent) room as parents. marketing by osmosis.

at least i would hope parents don't simply dump their kids off in front of the tellybox as a substitute parent before b*ggering off down the pub/offy/wherever.

oh, wait, they do. nevermind. at least we have jeremy kyle*

(*joke for the britlanders)

plus i would argue the difficulties of comparing comics vs cartoons in the 80's against the same nowadays... both mediums are very different beasts, with different exposures and demographics etc.

thereagain, nevermore is entirely correct in his assertion that nobody watches transformer cartoons in the UK. saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the distant past here, and cartoon network is not one of the widely available channels (not sure on figures, but straw poll indicates sky/satellite users -where CN is carried - are still in the minority). last time i saw one was maybe four years ago, and that was cybertron on a digital channel back when digital boxes etc were seen as a pointless complication carrying nothing but reruns, and thusly not popular by current standards.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

pandagork wrote:Erm, that's a little bit off
YOUR FACTS ARE USELESS AGAINST ME.
borg72 wrote:thereagain, nevermore
Words can cut like a knife. :(
snavej

Post by snavej »

Going back to the 2 Drift pics at the top of the thread, perhaps Drift is McCarthy's 'if I was a Transformer, I'd want to be like this' character; with not one, not two, but three Big Choppers! Maybe the three swords combine to form some kind of 'Star Saber'.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Halfshell wrote:Words can cut like a knife. :(
Time to put that bowel disruptor to good use.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

O_O

Two things:
1) Where the hell is my Spotlight: Bumblebee?
2) What the hell is a Bowel Disruptor and why do I fear it?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32