Transformers at Toy Fair 2009 Coverage Thread

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
secretcode

Transformers at Toy Fair 2009 Coverage Thread

Post by secretcode »

Toy Fair begins this weekend, and as such, news will be coming out. As such, this thread is your all-purpose Transformers Toy Fair news thread. Most will be official reveals of possibly leaked toys. This first post will be updated as news comes in.

Now, before the news, a bit of a warning. The big TF line this year IS Revenge of the Fallen and as such most of the news will be Revenge of the Fallen toys and as there will be spoilers. Please use spoiler tags people, as some people still don't want to be spoiled on this movie. Posts will be edited via moderators to add spoiler tags for those that still don't seem to understand. And what classifies as spoilers?
Toys for returning characters who survived the first part unambiguously (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Ironhide, Starscream, Scorponok) are not spoilers as long as their alternate forms and robot modes are more or less identical to their appearances in the first movie (i.e. Bumblebee's slightly tweaked Camaro mode), regardless of whether they're new molds, remolds or repaints.

Toys for returning characters who were either implied having died in the first movie (Jazz, Megatron, Brawl, Frenzy, Blackout), or whose fate was left ambiguous (Barricade) are SPOILERS, especially if their new alternate forms and/or robot modes look different from their appearances in the first movie.

Toys for new characters that will make their debut in Revenge of the Fallen are also SPOILERS.
And please remember to remain close to being "on-topic".
--------------------------------------------------------------
And without further ado, the news begins.

Hasbro Toy Fair Press Release:
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site ... ewsLang=en
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cool.
TRANSFORMERS R.P.M.’S MINI-VEHICLES, a new line of miniature, non-converting TRANSFORMERS-themed vehicles.
Hope the branding's extremely clear, or some kids are going to get ripped off.
secretcode

And so it begins...

Post by secretcode »

Another Hasbro Press Release is out.
SPOILER! (select to read)
This summer, the colossal battle between the AUTOBOTS and the DECEPTICONS continues when “ROBOTS IN DISGUISE” once again invade movie theaters around the world. The new DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures live-action movie TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN debuts June 26, 2009 and picks up the saga from the 2007 worldwide blockbuster film that finds two warring factions of robots colliding in a major battle on planet Earth.

For 25 years, Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS) has provided kids with hours of MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE action with their figures that convert from robot to vehicles and back again. Legions of boys around the world grew up creating fantastic adventures and battles set on both the planet CYBERTRON and Earth that featured the heroic AUTOBOTS, like OPTIMUS PRIME and BUMBLEBEE, clashing with the evil DECEPTICONS, led by MEGATRON. The toys’ popularity reached new levels with the release of the first live-action TRANSFORMERS movie, cementing the toys and the brand in the upper stratosphere of pop culture.

In 2009, Hasbro continues the legacy with its new line of movie-based TRANSFORMERS toys that capture the action and excitement of the new film. Fans will love the new action figures showcasing popular characters like OPTIMUS PRIME and BUMBLEBEE in multiple scales — with many featuring lights and authentic sounds and phrases from the movie. Kids can pretend to be a TRANSFORMERS robot by wearing the new BUMBLEBEE MOVIE VOICE MIXER HELMET that lets a child mix their own voice with music and includes “tune-in radio phrases,” just like BUMBLEBEE. To complete the fantasy, kids can pretend to battle the DECEPTICONS with the new TRANSFORMERS MOVIE BUMBLEBEE PLASMA CANNON. This awesome arm blaster converts from BUMBLEBEE’S robot arm to his plasma cannon and features lights and signature TRANSFORMERS sound effects. And, long-time fans will be thrilled with one the most powerful DECEPTICONS, the new TRANSFORMERS MOVIE CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR figure, a monstrous robot that combines six vehicles into one giant robot.

Additionally, coming in the fall, young fans will enjoy TRANSFORMERS R.P.M.’S MINI-VEHICLES, a new line of miniature, non-converting TRANSFORMERS-themed vehicles that can be raced across the floor or on specially designed playsets and tracks.
Also with the press release were official images of Leader Prime and the Bumblebee helmet.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... se-166806/
secretcode

And now further dabbling in the thread brings up some product descriptions. And I thought it was a slow news day...

Post by secretcode »

I think people who speculated that speculated Jetfire's size would be quite happy with this...
And also, sorry for the white walls of text.
TRANSFORMERS MOVIE FIGURES
(Approximate retail price: starting from $12.99; Ages: 5 & up; Available: Summer 2009)
For more than 25 years, TRANSFORMERS action figures have been known for their “MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE” play pattern, with robots converting into vehicles, and then back to robots again. In 2009, TRANSFORMERS movie action figures featuring the new film’s most popular characters will be available in three scales: DELUXE, VOYAGER (larger scale), and LEADER (largest scale and includes lights and sounds). DELUXE includes 24 characters, VOYAGER will offer 11 characters, and LEADER will feature three, including OPTIMUS PRIME and JETFIRE.

BUMBLEBEE MOVIE VOICE MIXER HELMET
(Approximate retail price: $39.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: May 30, 2009)
In the 2007 TRANSFORMERS movie, BUMBLEBEE was a scene-stealer and an instant favorite among kids and long-time TRANSFORMERS fans. Now, kids can pretend to be the fun-loving AUTOBOT character BUMBLEBEE with a role-playing helmet. The toy allows kids to mix their voice through a “radio” — just like BUMBLEBEE — and also features realistic robot battle sounds and radio tune-in phrases to add authenticity to the play experience.

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE BUMBLEBEE PLASMA CANNON
(Approximate retail price: $39.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: May 30, 2009)
The ultimate companion to the BUMBLEBEE MOVIE VOICE MIXER HELMET, the TRANSFORMERS MOVIE BUMBLEBEE PLASMA CANNON allows kids to strap on the blaster and defend the Earth against its evil invaders. Features electronic lights and sounds.

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR
(Approximate retail price: $99.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: August 2009)
The largest and most powerful foe the AUTOBOTS will encounter in this summer’s TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN is sure to be DEVASTATOR, a monstrous DECEPTICON robot made up of six separate construction vehicles known as the CONSTRUCTICONS. The TRANSFORMERS MOVIE CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR allows kids to re-create the film’s awesome action sequences.

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE POWER BOTS
(Approximate retail price: $22.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: May 30, 2009)
Designed to enable easy play for younger fans, TRANSFORMERS MOVIE POWER BOTS are 10-inch robot-only versions of favorite TRANSFORMERS characters. These large-scale, chunky action figures include lights, sounds and battle features. Two new POWER BOTS figures featuring robots from TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN will be released in 2009.

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE MEGA POWER BOTS
(Approximate retail price: $34.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: August 2009)
Taking POWER BOTS to the next level with a second mode for “mega” action! Robots include OPTIMUS PRIME and DEVASTATOR. When the DEVASTATOR POWER BOT figure is face down, he appears to be six different vehicles, but when standing upright, he is the monstrous DECEPTICON, DEVASTATOR.

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE HUMAN ALLIANCE
(Approximate retail price: $29.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: August 2009)
For the first time, the new TRANSFORMERS MOVIE HUMAN ALLIANCE collection allows kids to play with the human characters alongside the TRANSFORMERS. When the TRANSFORMERS are in vehicle mode, the human figures fit inside and can go along for the ride. When the TRANSFORMERS are in robot mode, the human figures can be positioned at different battle stations. Three different characters will be available in 2009 – complete with a 2 1/4-inch human action figure – including BUMBLEBEE and friend Sam Witwicky.

TRANSFORMERS R.P.M’s MINI-VEHICLES SINGLE PACKS
(Approximate retail price: $3.99; Ages 3 & up; Available: August 2009)
When TRANSFORMERS characters are “ROBOTS IN DISGUISE,” they take on the look of some of most contemporary vehicles in the world, such as the Chevrolet Camaro Concept, Ford Mustang and GMC Topkick. For the first time ever, Hasbro offers mini vehicles of TRANSFORMERS characters that allow kids to engage in the classic play pattern of racing cars across the floor, as well as on play sets and tracks. The robot version of the character is featured on the underside of each non-converting vehicle for kids to easily identify the characters unique to the TRANSFORMERS universe. Twelve mini vehicles will be available in single packs in 2009, and include OPTIMUS PRIME/Semi Truck, BUMBLEBEE/Camaro, and BARRICADE/Mustang.

TRANSFORMERS RPMs DEVASTATOR TRACK SET
(Approximate retail price: $39.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: August 2009)
Created specifically for the new TRANSFORMERS R.P.M.’s line of mini-vehicles, the TRANSFORMERS RPMs DEVASTATOR TRACK SET provides fast, mini-vehicle play within a dynamic track set by leveraging the iconic battle and high stakes drama found in the new movie. The track will bring DEVASTATOR to life and enable fans to re-enact the climactic movie battle between the AUTOBOTS and DEVASTATOR.

TRANSFORMERS: 25th Anniversary products available in Spring 2009

TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE 25th ANNIVERSARY FIGURES – DELUXE AND VOYAGER
(Approximate Retail price: DELUXE scale $12.99; VOYAGER scale $22.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: First waves in January 2009, with additional waves released throughout spring)
The TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE 25th Anniversary line features DELUXE and VOYAGER assortments with new versions of incredibly detailed, realistically styled, but classic versions of familiar characters from the past 25 years. There will be ten new DELUXE figures including DINOBOT from the BEAST WARS series and four new VOYAGER figures including OVERLOAD from the CYBERTRON series.

TRANSFORMERS: ANIMATED products available in 2009

TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED FIGURES – DELUXE AND VOYAGER
(Approximate Retail price: DELUXE scale $12.99; VOYAGER scale $22.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: First waves in January 2009, with additional waves released throughout the year)
Figures in the TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED DELUXE and VOYAGER assortment feature character conversions like those seen in the popular TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED series airing on Cartoon Network. Both assortments feature a variety of characters with exciting battle weapons and firing projectiles. Eleven characters, including BLURR and WASPINATOR, will be featured in the DELUXE LINE in 2009 while eight characters will be introduced in the VOYAGER LINE.

TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED FIGURES – ENTERTAINMENT PACK
(Approximate Retail Price: $22.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: January 1, 2009)
The entertainment pack includes two deluxe-sized figures — twin brothers JETFIRE and JETSTORM — who combine to create SAFEGUARD. The brothers are the only AUTOBOTS who can fly and are the youngest Elite Guard members of all time. JETFIRE and JETSTORM will be showcased in new episodes of the Animated series debuting in Spring 2009.

Additional TRANSFORMERS products available in 2009

TRANSFORMERS MIGHTY MUGGS
(Approximate Retail Price: $12.99; Ages 6 & up; Available: First waves in January 2009, with additional waves released throughout the year)
The popular urban-style MIGHTY MUGGS line now showcases ROBOTS IN DISGUISE! Invading the world of TRANSFORMERS for the first time, MIGHTY MUGGS figures are ultra-hip vinyl collectibles that provide fun incarnations of many favorite characters from across the pop culture universe. TRANSFORMERS characters available in 2009 include OPTIMUS PRIME, MEGATRON, BUMBLEBEE and SOUNDWAVE.
Again, Sorry for the wall of text.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

The popular urban-style MIGHTY MUGGS line now showcases ROBOTS IN DISGUISE...

Urban Style? :afro:
Come on and wind me up.
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

As for what constitutes spoilers, I was starting to wonder if officially released information counts until I read this...
"The track will bring DEVASTATOR to life and enable fans to re-enact the climactic movie battle between the AUTOBOTS and DEVASTATOR." So Devastator is the big bad at the end? Not too unpredictable, but it's gonna be hell waiting to see him if he's only seen near the end. (Heh, I remember sitting through the first movie, where's the robots, where's the robots, where's- oh, there's one! Ah, gone now! Where's the robots...)

"In the 2007 TRANSFORMERS movie, BUMBLEBEE was a scene-stealer" Scene hog, more like it. ;)

"Fans will love the new action figures showcasing popular characters like OPTIMUS PRIME and BUMBLEBEE in multiple scales" So, is there anything new this time around? ;) They also seem to be milking Devastator for all he's worth. Just one decent, sensible toy is all any character really needs. (BTW, if it reads like I'm griping, I'm not. Hasbro wouldn't be selling if they didn't think people would buy.)

And I'm also worried about the packaging of Devastator. It's seeming more and more that he's only a package deal. :down: I wouldn't be surprised if I break down and get one anyway. And then frown if better looking, single-carded premium editions come out next year.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

TFW2005 has a preliminary gallery up. Pics will be mirrored later, as I'm sorta
busy.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ore-166811

And YES they are having server issues as they are getting an insanely high traffic count now.
Devastator looks okay I guess... Looks a bit mistransformed but I'll still get it. Maybe. How the face forms is kinda impressive, unfolding from the cement mixer.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

a number of sites have assorted pictures of various bots now... i'm liking everything i'm seeing, although i think a certain someone may not be as tall as i'd thought. still freaking big though.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

BWTF's EXTENSIVE gallery of Toy Fair is up.
http://bwtf.com/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=3549

As far as Animated, we have Arcee and Electrostatic Soundwave with Ratbat, who turns into a keytar.

Nothing new for Universe, as expected.

As for ROTF? Well...
-Devastator components have been named. (Hightower, Long Haul, Mixmaster, Rampage, Scavenger and Scrapper)
-Ironhide, Ratchet, Prime and Starscream Robot Replicas
-Vehicle mode Robot Heroes.
-Demolishor is not part of Devastator.
-Devastator has a Power Bot on the way
-Deluxe Class Breakaway, new mold Bumblebee, Mudflap, Rampage, Sideswipe, Skids, Soundwave.
-Leader Class Prime
-Mr. Potato Head Bumblespud.
-Legends class BB, Jetfire, Prime and Springer.
-Ultimate Bumblebee returns, "Battle Charged", Voice Mixer Helmet, and Plasma Cannon.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

So...why is the name of the...well, better use spoilers....
The Constructicon RH400 Demolisher in one Hasbro press packet picture and Scavenger in the other?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

BWTF has updated with new pics of Star Wars Crossovers, in new packaging (Another one?!) similar to the Marvel set. As well as several new toys like Kit Fisto, Obi Wan Jetfighter (A repaint), and an AAT.
http://bwtf.com/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=5064

And on the Marvel side, a first robot mode shot of the Brown Wolverine.
http://bwtf.com/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=4984
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hmmm . . . looks to me like they're selling a devestator set where the parts make up devestator, but don't make the individual robots, as well as selling the parts individually that do transform into robots (and may or may not form devestator).

I'm basing this on Demolisher's vehicle mode looking more complex than Scavenger's vehicle mode and the fact that the Devestator album doesn't show any robot modes for the individual vehicles.

There's a bit of FAIL to that imo. If I'm going to put down $100 for a set then his components better have robot modes as well as merge together. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like they're giving us both in the same set . . .

So what's the deal with Mudflap and Skidz. One robot with a goofy-ass face is all right, but two is a little silly. Please don't let them behave like a couple of inbreds . . .
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

The actual pic of Ironhide looks like crap. Poorly painted, and terrible color scheme. Absolutely nothing like the Press kit photos. <sigh>
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
borg72

Post by borg72 »

RID Scourge wrote:
Hmmm . . . looks to me like they're selling a devestator set where the parts make up devestator, but don't make the individual robots, as well as selling the parts individually that do transform into robots (and may or may not form devestator).

I'm basing this on Demolisher's vehicle mode looking more complex than Scavenger's vehicle mode and the fact that the Devestator album doesn't show any robot modes for the individual vehicles.

There's a bit of FAIL to that imo. If I'm going to put down $100 for a set then his components better have robot modes as well as merge together. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like they're giving us both in the same set
as far as i can tell, the gestalt constructicons do transform, but in a deeply simplified manner. it was when i was up at 3am, but i'm fairly certain i saw both robotmode versions of the left leg. but thereagain, i also (apparently) became a fan of tom sellock on facebook, so anything is possible.

EDIT: scratch that, i cant find the pic anywhere. i must have imagined it. boooooo. worse still, i really did become a fan of tom sellock on facebook.
/EDIT

i love how the airbrushed pic of devs is totally the wrong color (maroon red critch instead of orange on the stand) and how leader prime looks soooo badly transformed on the stand. oh, and one of the lone constructicons on the back shelf (left arm) is mistransformed, and is the rh400 scavenger or demolisher? the hasbro stand says 'scavenger' (paint app on the side of the devs version), but i keep seeing the voyager version listed as 'demolisher' on other sites?

and i'm so totally digging animated arcee. she is made of win.
Bluecatcinema
Protoform

Post by Bluecatcinema »

Arcee is definetely looking good. And Ratbat's alt mode is very eighties.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Breakaway (the deluxe jet) is awesome and I love him.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:Breakaway (the deluxe jet) is awesome and I love him.
He caught my attention as well. I like the design - it's quite different from other TF jets, and he looks like an Autobot (jets so often look like Decepticons no matter what... at least to me!).
Supreme Devastator looks pretty cool, but I am disappointed that the individual components do not transform in to robots in their own right. I do hope that each one does in the film - so far we've only seen a couple... I guess the shear complexity of the gestalt transformation has precluded inidvidual robot modes in the toy, which is a shame. I'm not sure if I'll be picking up many if any of this line [although so many look so good!], but if I did, I would find myself in a quandry with Devastator. I really love construction vehicles, and Demolishor / Scavenger and Rampage look great in themselves [particularly Demolishor / Scavenger], and Devastator looks phenomenal, but I'd be irked and unlikely to buy both, if you get me... And which would you choose? I really don't know!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah. that's the problem I'm having. I like Devestator, but I don't want to drop the amount of cash to get the combiner set and the individual robots.

Might just grab Scavenger and hope they do a robot replicas Devestator (I also hope they repack a few of the last movie's RR's namely Bumblebee and Frenzy since I didn't pick up any last time around)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Remolding Ironhide was a cash grab. The new parts and paint aren't an improvement.

Where is the Ratchet remold? I can't believe they didn't bring back that mold too.

Hasbro was concerned about having unusable molds left over if TF1 flopped. Now they have a chance to re-issue the Ratchet mold and the didn't. What gives?
Come on and wind me up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »