All Hail Megatron #5 and #6 covers [cast spoilers]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

All Hail Megatron #5 and #6 covers [cast spoilers]

Post by Denyer »

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/10/c ... l-ing.html

Art by Casey Coller, colours by Joana LaFuente.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Finally....Autobots!

I guess whatever happens to
SPOILER! (select to read)
Hot Rod in Maximum Dinobots, as Furman teased at not too long ago,
he'll work through it in the end. Not that this means anything, as Reflector appeared to be perfectly functional in AHM #3, with a "Oh, Spotlight Wheelie happened in the future" statement offered as an explanation. Perhaps it will be the same case here then.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

Looks like Springer isn't a Wrecker anymore? Instead, he' part of the "1986 Moviebot" sub-group.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Boo-hiss to Kup getting better off-page.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Perhaps we'll have extensive flashbacks to his recovery? Though if any character had such a perfect tragic ending it didn't need to be revisited its Kup. I take it that's the new character in the second cover?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:I take it that's the new character in the second cover?
I wouldn't commit to the term "character" quite so soon. But yeah, that big bot taking centre stage whilst everybody else is reduced to background is Drift.

No subtext at all.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I thought it was Boss for a minute. Thought the whole Drift thing might have been a joke... I still don't get that - why not just take, say, Stepper/Ricochet, update his vehicle mode and model a little, and you have a perfectly legitimate vehicle (ah-hah-HAR) for doing what you like (it's basically what Furman's done with innumerable characters after all).

The first cover makes DW's random group efforts look dynamic.

"Kup? I thought you were well messed up?"
"I was just pretending. Now let's go and get the Key to Vector Sigma for Alpha Trion!"

Seriously, is anyone actually expecting any in-story explanations for any inconsistencies with Furman's material? As long as there are people with internet access prepared to do it for him, why should McCarthy bother?
Luddite Prime
Protoform

Post by Luddite Prime »

In all fairness to Kup being fixed, I remember that Spotlight: Optimus Prime mentioned that Kup was already physically repaired; it was his mental state that they were unsure would ever be OK again. And really, there are few things more effective to helping an old man's mental state than showing him that we need him right now. And based on what we've seen so fat in AHM, the 'Bots need all the help they can get.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I remember that Spotlight: Optimus Prime mentioned that Kup was already physically repaired
"Better" - not repaired. Better's a relative term. And relative to the state he was in the last time we saw him... yeah, pretty much anything is.
Cliffjumper wrote:I still don't get that - why not just take, say, Stepper/Ricochet, update his vehicle mode and model a little, and you have a perfectly legitimate vehicle (ah-hah-HAR) for doing what you like (it's basically what Furman's done with innumerable characters after all).
Yeah, but at the same time, why invent Impactor, Xaaron and Jhiaxus when there were loads of characters who never made it into any fiction.

You know you'd love to have seen Emirate Hubcap. Sixshot might actually have made vague sense as leader of the G2 Empire.

So long as it's a well written character with a sensible role, rather than a shameless self-insertion avatar so the writer can indulge himself, who's really bothered that much?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:Yeah, but at the same time, why invent Impactor, Xaaron and Jhiaxus when there were loads of characters who never made it into any fiction.
Unfair on the first two, as there really weren't when the characters were created - after all, Furman did use the Deluxe Vehicles and Jumpstarters around the same time. Beyond that, who hadn't been used? I don't think the '86 Minibots were actually out at the time, were they?

Thing is Hasbro probably kept a bit of an eye at the time - Xaaron's an old, unglamorous role, how many kids would want to buy (say) Tailgate if his job was being an old wuss? At the same time, Impactor was introduced to die dramatically at the end - had we had a proper Transformers death at that point? It's worth bearing in mind, especially as the Toy Autobots take a hell of a kicking in Target without any actual deaths.

Agree on Sixshot, though - it would have made sense with him being more evolved, and the colours would have fit. That said, for a whole new faction, I can see the sense of wanting a whole new character in charge. Sixshot might have been a bit of a red herring (how exactly did Bob get out of having the use him anyway, I wonder?).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Sixshot never appeared in the Marvel comics short of a one panel appearance, did he? It's a pity. He'd make such a good Liege Maximo: the Six Changer! Pinnacle of Transformer evolution!

Anyway, about AHM... Will Spotlight Blurr relate to it?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

@ Cliffy. Fair point on Xaaron and Impactor. And those characters that were still unintroduced were probably off-limits for Furmo until he was dead certain what Bob was going to do (or not).

But there's not much need to go inventing new characters for Ultimate Transformers when there's so many already lying about unused. A point that I'll happily apply to Grindcore over in Revelation as well - I still think Blurr or Wreck-Gar would have been a sensible addition to the Dead Universe cast.
Blackjack wrote:Sixshot never appeared in the Marvel comics short of a one panel appearance, did he?
Not even that, as far as I believe.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

There's a ship in one panel, about half an inch across, which looks a bit like his jet mode. It totally counts, providing you count all the other things caused by Frank Springer's laissez-faire approach to the character sheets. So Fort Max has the ability to make himself look like Galen's armour for no reason for a frame, Highbrow is also called Brainstorm, the Nebulans have access to 1940s Earth fighter planes, Mindwipe can transform into Misfire's jet mode, Misfire has a twin in Triggerhappy's colours, Max sometimes wears Cerebros' face around and so on. Oh yes.

We're talking Wikia-level nerd food, rather than anything which counts.

Regarding Target, I'm pretty sure Furman would have punched a few Autobot cards if he'd had the chance... Mind, Trailbreaker and Grapple are effectively killed for all they'd go on to do... Earthforce aside, it's a bit of a last hurrah for a lot of characters (Smokescreen, Jetfire, Ironhide, Hound, Tracks) who then just fade away as the cast list goes critical. Some sort of heroic death would have been a better fate for most than "hanging around in the background of the Ark every now and then".
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Halfshell wrote:A point that I'll happily apply to Grindcore over in Revelation as well - I still think Blurr or Wreck-Gar would have been a sensible addition to the Dead Universe cast.
I'd have gone for Xaaron still, would have fitted perfectly with Nova Prime, Straxus and Jhiaxus as evil ex Marvel Characters.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Who's the white Autobot on the second cover?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Thanks.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I believe the phrase you are after is "Dear God..."...
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Couple of things...

1) Is it just my poor eyesight or is Kup smoking a cigar?
2) Why has the new fastandthefurious bot decided to crouch down and introduce himself in the middle of a gun fight?
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

and another... what the hell is going on with his left (as you look at it, his actual right) leg???