Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Grayfox
Protoform

IDW for September 2010

Post by Grayfox »

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/headlines ... mber-20108

Transformers: Drift #1 (of 4)
Shane McCarthy (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
What was it that caused one of the DECEPTICON’s most ruthless soldiers to turn his back on them? And what ancient secret lies hidden deep within an alien planet? All this and more as the origin of the newest AUTOBOT, DRIFT, is finally revealed!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99 Expected in-store date: 9/15

Transformers: Drift #2 (of 4)
Shane McCarthy (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
What is the secret behind DRIFT’s startling rescuers? How is it they came to be on the isolated, desert planet and what does this have to do with DRIFT’s future? As DRIFT uncovers answers, he’s suddenly faced with a decision that could alter his life forever!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99 Expected in-store date: 9/29

Transformers #11
Mike Costa (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Don Figueroa, Guidi (c)
International Incident, Part 3: It’s Round 2 between AUTOBOTS and COMBATICONS as a wildcard enters the fight, while back in the States, Skywatch takes some extreme—even illegal—measures to even the odds. More gigantic fight scenes by Costa and Guidi! *2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio. FC • 32 pages • $3.99 Expected in-store date: 9/8

Transformers: Sector 7 #1 (of 5)
John Barber (w) • Joe Suitor (a) • Josh Nizzi (c) At last—the secret history of the Transformers is finally revealed, through the multigenerational saga of the clandestine spy group code-named SECTOR 7. Events in this series tie directly into all of the massive hit Transformers movies, but trust us when we say—there has never been a movie-tie in comic like this before!
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio. FC • 32 pages • $3.99 Expected in-store date: 9/22
Sades

Post by Sades »

Gundams!

Wait, Gundams?!?

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Do Drift comes from the planet of the Ninjas. Woot.

And the secret history of the movie Transformers as told through the viewpoint of people who don't know it. Or will it turn out they actually found out all sorts of shit but never bothered to mention it in the films?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

A Drift and a sector 7 mini in the same month? Good lord, next thing you know there'll be a Dune Runner mini.

The only thing that might actually seem to be a decent read is the Ongoing, and that's poor, considering the fluctuating quality of the stories that the ongoing has been giving us.

EDIT: same reaction with Sadie to the 'Gundams'. :o
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Haha that cover with Bumblebee riding Thundercracker amused me, take that Predacons! Could the ongoing have finally discovered a sense of humour? Although if the joke is that the entire issue is Spike's internal monologue on the rowing machine it could be less funny than intended.

I have no concept of the character Drift and have no intentions of reading that.

The Sector 7 could be quite interesting, elaborating on the people who originally buried Megs in the dam? Some G-Man subterfuge and J Edgar Hoovering could be a lot of fun if done correctly. This could be the first movie tie in comic I'm intrigued by as it's probably going to be a Forrest Gump esque romp through history and I enjoy a romp.

I always knew Barricade was on the grassy knoll, ARE YOU LADIES MAN NUMBER 1? *pow pow pow*

Back and to the left...
Back and to the left......
*EXPLODES*
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Damn it, I've lost any optimism I had for the ongoing. They spent all of issue eight for Spike to have a monologue and to kill of Scrapper. It's hopeless.

In retrospect, new guy might make the Sector 7 mini work. Can't be worse than Nefarious (which easily eclipses Bumblebee and AHM judging by the first two issues).

But having two issues of Drift in a month? Crazy.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm hoping for an Acid Storm mini where he goes paintballing and then raves it up in a warehouse to New order and Altern-8.

Call the cops!

I hope that DRIFT doesn't keep getting his name referred to in awful capitals like that. Aside from the Megatron: Origin confusing artwork clearly on display, the only way they could make it more fun is by turning it into a 'Choose your own adventure' book spanning 22 glorious full colour pages... and you still won't be able to work out what's going on.

- To make DRIFT chopsocky some generic Autobots, turn to page 12.
- If you think DRIFT should establish a Zerg spawning pool, turn to page 8.
- To make DRIFT establish a local art & crafts fair, turn to page 21.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Auntie Slag wrote: - To make DRIFT chopsocky some generic Autobots, turn to page 12.
- If you think DRIFT should establish a Zerg spawning pool, turn to page 8.
- To make DRIFT establish a local art & crafts fair, turn to page 21.
If the second option is available, I'm buying 8 copies. Otherwise, I'm going to skip DRIFT
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

To be true, I like the way Milne draws Transformers. If IDW was to make some kind of MTMTE with Milne as artist, this would be fine by me. But pictures that intent to say more than "that's the way this guy looks"... :-/

Considering that this is written by "Discontinuity" McCarthy, and looking at those samurais of the round table with Drift wielding Excalibur-of-sorts gives me the creeps.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I just find Milne awkward. Far too many shadows and he's got that slightly 'fat robot Pat Lee' thing going on. Also, check out the central figure on the front cover of DRIFT 111!One, he's quite similar in design to the massive grunt/bodyguard that becomes Megatron's first kill in Origin.

And he seems to love the 'dark shadow falling across the eyes' effect, and pointy things going on all over the body. You only have to look at Sentinel Prime in that mini-series, who looked different in each panel. Jarring or what.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Bucquoy wrote:To be true, I like the way Milne draws Transformers. If IDW was to make some kind of MTMTE with Milne as artist, this would be fine by me. But pictures that intent to say more than "that's the way this guy looks"... :-/
Milne can draw Transformers, no doubt. His work in two issues of Armada (or was that Energon? Can't remember) was brilliant, while his work in Tales of the Fallen, Alliance and the first two issues of Reign of Starscream were vibrant and nicely done.

It's just that when he draws G1 stuff (Megatron Origin being the prime offender) he can't display action scenes properly. Oh, and overzealous detailing and Pat-Lee-style poster scenes.
Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

Auntie Slag wrote: And he seems to love the 'dark shadow falling across the eyes' effect, and pointy things going on all over the body. You only have to look at Sentinel Prime in that mini-series, who looked different in each panel. Jarring or what.
You got a point there. That shadow thing is expendable. :D
As for the rest: quot caput, tot sensus. I liked both the looks of Meg's 1st victim and of Decimus' assistant.
In addition, I think M:O suffered as much from the art as from lack of space (or surplus of stuff to be told.)
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

It's odd, because Milne can clearly draw a good robot. When I look at his stuff though, it reminds me of when you're a kid and desperately trying to fit as much action into a little home made comic book panel as possible.

I take it Milne does actually work on a big canvas like other artists, right? He's not actually sitting there with a comic sized piece of paper occasionally picking up felt-tips that are next to the fine point.

And I'm a bit bored of robots having 'fangs' too. It was fun for a while. I'd much rather clearer colours and action with proper movement. Considering he was in all those illegal fights, there wasn't really much going on that you could see.

Such a crime. Especially when it's Megatron dishing it out, too.
Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

Auntie Slag wrote: When I look at his stuff though, it reminds me of when you're a kid and desperately trying to fit as much action into a little home made comic book panel as possible.
That's what I was talking about. There was to much to be told for only four issues. Five to six would've been better, considering the story's gaps, such as between Megatron & Co. landing in Kaon and him being a ruthless gladiator.

And fangs are ridiculous. As are cigars. Considering that TFs have no actual need for fangs they must be deco. Where are piercings? ;)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Five to six would've been better
It really would NOT have been better. The story wasnt too packed, just lacked a main focus (odd given its title) And lots of it didnt make sense.

Anyway, love the ongoing cover. Agreed that a bit of humour (a-la LSOTW) would greatly benefit the ongoing.

And I dont mean cartoon humour IDW, I mean proper stuff!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Auntie Slag wrote:It's odd, because Milne can clearly draw a good robot.
I think Milne is the kind of artist who really, really benefits from being forced to adhere to a 'house style'. When he was working at Dreamwave and being forced to ape Pat Lee, his art was really good. And when he's working on the Movie comics and being forced to ape the Movie design style, well, since Movie designs not really translating well to still-frames, I think he's done about as well as can be expected. It's when he's left to his own devices things tend to fall apart a bit, especially if he has to design new characters and forgets that Transformers usually don't look like generic anime mechs.
Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

Red Dave Prime wrote:It really would NOT have been better. The story wasnt too packed, just lacked a main focus (odd given its title) And lots of it didnt make sense.

Anyway, love the ongoing cover. Agreed that a bit of humour (a-la LSOTW) would greatly benefit the ongoing.

I agree on the ongoing cover. Is it just rallye stripes, or ist that Bumblebeewearing his Camaro suit again? I'm not quite sure, but wasn't there an early Marvel issue with Blaster riding some Cons in a similar fashion?

D'accord on the misleading series title, too. "Roots of War" was a fanmade alternate I once read on a forum.
Still, I think, the whole affair would've faired better without those gaping holes: Some more Autobots suppressing poor workers - Megatron getting in contact with the gladiators and deciding to join them - Megs rising from gladiator to manager - ... There're some more, I think. Giving the story more space to unfold could have helped there.