Alternators: worth $20?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Alternators: worth $20?

Post by DrSpengler »

I "vowed" nevr to "waste" my money on another Transformer toy after Masterpeice Convoy but those Alternators look pretty damn cool.

So tell me, for a guy with no shelf space and a rapidly depleting interest in collecting Transformer toys, are the Alternators a good buy at $20 a peice?

Smokescreen looks absolutely awesome in robot mode though I hear his transformation is a bitch. Sideswipe looks "eh" in robot mode but his Viper mode is sweet (that's why he sold out instantly in my area, I guess). And Hound...I feel like I have to own him.

Worth it?
KillTheKids
Protoform

Post by KillTheKids »

Oh yeah!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I have the Japanese Binaltech versions which cost me more than 50 € each, and I think they're definitely worth it. :)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Zizicez
Protoform

Post by Zizicez »

well if Energon Scorpinok is wroth $30 then im almost certain that the alternators are worth $20:rolleyes:
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Most assuredly.

Certainly more worth the money than any of the reissues that have come out.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

That'd be my arguement.

The Energon toys of the same size or larger are $20-$30. The G1 Reissues are $30 as well. The Alternators are better looking in both modes, have great articulation, and they're only $20. It's a very good deal for a very nice set of toys so far.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

See, if it was $40, I'd be a bit more "well, maybe". But at $20, you simply won't find better TFs this century in the same price bracket. I can only speak for Smokescreen really [though Hound looks astonishing], but he really is that good. Me, Mr Nitpick, couldn't find anything I disliked, and the transformation's difficult to learn, but is fine once you get there.

Incidentally, Hasbro bringing out the toys in plastic, and probably halving the price, is a great decision as far as I'm concerned.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I find that Smokescreen has to be fit together exactly. That's a pain for me, since I'm anal retentive enough without having to worry about the fact that it won't fit together right, unless it's in the perfect postion. You really can't be a micron off or it takes forever to get it right.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
See, if it was $40, I'd be a bit more "well, maybe". But at $20, you simply won't find better TFs this century in the same price bracket. I can only speak for Smokescreen really [though Hound looks astonishing], but he really is that good. Me, Mr Nitpick, couldn't find anything I disliked, and the transformation's difficult to learn, but is fine once you get there.

Incidentally, Hasbro bringing out the toys in plastic, and probably halving the price, is a great decision as far as I'm concerned.

A testamonial like this from Cliffjumper is worth more than gold.

I'll pick up Smokescreen next time I'm in Target.:)
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

I have Smokescreen and he's sweet. The only problem I have transforming him is getting his arms to unfold right.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

they are absolutley worth it
the alternators are without a doubt the best transformers in years
and at 20 a piece and in plastic ( wich means no chipping paint ) they are an absolute steal
i have the binal techs for at least 50 a piece and havent regret it yet
the alternators are arguably better because if you ever damage them you can pick up a replacement realtivley cheap
the binal techs feel fragile

their transformations are a bit tricky especially smokes creens ( and skip silverstreak unless you must have two almost identical subaru's ) but liek everybody else says they are worth it
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It might help transformation if you can find scans of the Binaltech instructions online... This is probably the worst thing about Hasbro of late [RiD Magnus, anyone?] and I've got to say some parts of mine I worked out by trial and error... just don't expect to be able to do the transformation without a wrong turn for the first dozen times.
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

i finally managed to transform my binal techs relatrivley trouble free but not after alot of trial and error
and usually im terrified to actually transformer them
smokescreen is stil hard to transform
and im always afraid il snap something off
not something id like to do with a action figure that cost me as much as this one did

the binal tech instructions are useless btw they dont help you much
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

The BinalTech instructions for Smokescreen are pretty crap too Cliffy.

-Ss
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
The BinalTech instructions for Smokescreen are pretty crap too Cliffy.

-Ss

Ah.... oh well :( It's only really the arms folding away that isn't well exlained on the Hasbro ones anyway...
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

And IIRC, the RiD Magnus instructions were reprints of the Car Robot God Magnus instructions with Hasbro's header and some English slapped on. So that whole boat was a pain.

But you figure it out eventually :)