Computer Games for the under 10's on the 360

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
verytired

Computer Games for the under 10's on the 360

Post by verytired »

Would anybody here have any good suggestions for computer games for a pair of boys under 10? Mine have been playing Minecraft on the 360 for a while, but I think that has turned more into a PC game for them as they become more fascinated with Mods. They both wanted a go on Fable 3, which I have let them play for a bit, though it is hardly ideal (a whole lotta hookers and brothels in that thar game). And it is, essentially, killing a whole lotta things a whole lotta times.

Actually, can anyone suggest a non violent game for the 360 that's any good?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

How about Trials HD? I think you can download it for a few quid from X-Box Live Arcade. Its twitch gameplay of the Angry Birds variety, and shockingly addictive. Its violent in a funny way, as in your rider has ragdoll physics when he falls off his bike.

Also Peggle. Again probably about £3 for a download and its like a mix between pinball & bagatelle. Seems to be adored the world over. Both these games are so different to Minecraft.

Then there's Rayman Origins or Rayman Legends. Both are cartoon, Mario style violence.

Viva Pinata.

Beyond Good and Evil HD (again, available on X-Box Live Arcade).

Lego Star Wars, or any of the Lego games.

Portal and/or;

Costume Quest!

Oh, and a game on X-Box Live called Lunar Panda (69p). I know the guys that wrote it, its a rip-off of Lunar Lander and Thrust if you played either of those games in the 70's or 80's. :)

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

UNO is a card game and Hydro Thunder is a XBLA game that is a motorboat racing game, both of them are pretty safe games.
And just FTR I have and played Fable III many times and it is NOT for a 10 year old the game is rated M (ie. ages 17 and UP) here in the US.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
verytired

Post by verytired »

I agree, it definitely isn't a game I want to let them play to a conclusion, and I don't let them play without me present so I can explain to them some plot points they didn't quite get, and have them avoid the hookers. I have played it through myself as well, about 6 or 7 times (only game I had for a while), so I know where the pitfalls are. I am interested in seeing their response to Logan confession, that he became a tyrant because he couldn't see any other way to defend his country.

Awesome suggestions: are you sure Portal is cool for kids though? I was worried about the implied torture of GLADOS human predecessor (though, looking at my earlier paragraph, that sounds a little hypocritical of me).
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

verytired wrote:are you sure Portal is cool for kids though? I was worried about the implied torture of GLADOS human predecessor.
That's a good point, I was just thinking about the puzzles, problem solving and the humour. Maybe (hopefully) that's what young minds will concentrate on rather than the implied torture element.

Although as a puzzler it may come off more frustrating than anything else!
verytired

Post by verytired »

Auntie Slag wrote:That's a good point, I was just thinking about the puzzles, problem solving and the humour. Maybe (hopefully) that's what young minds will concentrate on rather than the implied torture element.
I think you're right actually: I wish I could find a copy outside of Xbox live though. If only the boys liked Football games, then we'd be bloody quids in at the moment. Can't walk past a bargain bin without one of those inside...
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Usually its available in The Orange Box compilation, but as you can see from the link, its packaged alongside some shooters and alien-related hi-jinks.

I suppose you could just go for Portal 2 instead. Amazon still has it priced expensively at nearly £27, but I'm sure local game shops would do it faaaaar cheaper than that!

Have you considered Rayman Origins or Rayman Legends? They're 2D cartoony games in a Super Mario style. Very very cartoony and fun, lauded for their excellent gameplay. The violence is all cartoony like something from Tom & Jerry or Ren & Stimpy.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Auntie Slag wrote:Then there's Rayman Origins or Rayman Legends. Both are cartoon, Mario style violence.
Excellent games! Great fun whether you're aged 10 or not!
Auntie Slag wrote:Beyond Good and Evil HD (again, available on X-Box Live Arcade).
Beyond Good and Evil is available to download?!? I did not know this but now I do I must download as soon as I can. I love that game!
Auntie Slag wrote:Portal
Not sure Portal is good for 10 year olds. It's a great game but not really for the young. I'd think it'd be a little frustrating. Hell, I found it infuriating at time. It's a great game though.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

You might want to check out Sid Meier's Civ: Revolution it's a fun game.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.