What's the strangest phrase you know and what does it mean?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
~*ShadowDancer*~

What's the stranges phrase you know and what does it mean?

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

I can't think of one offhand myself but I'd like to know what sort of phrases you lot use that are a little out of the ordinary. Languages interest me, dialects and phraseology fascinate me.

And I've tried to avoid the need for any of you Mod/Admin types out there to make use of the brackets on my post header. Needless to say that one of you will just to spite me now I've mentioned it...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the floor is open. Let speak who may.
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Probably something from: http://tuxedo.org/jargon/

Heh...here's one: quadruple bucky n.

1. On an MIT space-cadet keyboard, use of all four of the shifting keys (control, meta, hyper, and super) while typing a character key. 2. On a Stanford or MIT keyboard in raw mode, use of four shift keys while typing a fifth character, where the four shift keys are the control and meta keys on both sides of the keyboard. This was very difficult to do! One accepted technique was to press the left-control and left-meta keys with your left hand, the right-control and right-meta keys with your right hand, and the fifth key with your nose.

Quadruple-bucky combinations were very seldom used in practice, because when one invented a new command one usually assigned it to some character that was easier to type. If you want to imply that a program has ridiculously many commands or features, you can say something like: "Oh, the command that makes it spin the tapes while whistling Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is quadruple-bucky-cokebottle." See double bucky, bucky bits, cokebottle.

Originally posted by ~*ShadowDancer*~
Needless to say that one of you will just to spite me now I've mentioned it...
Nah, but I will correct yer typing...:p

edit: A "cokebottle" is, roughly: Any very unusual character, particularly one you can't type because it isn't on your keyboard.
~*ShadowDancer*~

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Nah, but I will correct yer typing...:p
Y'don't say ;) I noticed the spelling error as soon as I'd posted and kind of thought *Whoops* "Pobody's Nurfick"
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

"brawd" is a word that I use in my English vocabularly a lot, it means "brother" in Welsh. So it's like 'Is your brawd in?' or something similar.

Let's see... Nah that's about it.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I tend to insert "ddim" instead of "no" randomly into sentences...

Also "that is Timelash", a legacy of 'Who fandom - Timelash was a poor story which is conicdentally an anagram of lame ****...
Capt
Protoform

Post by Capt »

"lang may yer lum reek"
good Scottish phrase...

I think it means something like, I hope you have a long life...or something like that
Capt
Abusing the English written language since the 1980s
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

"Carpe Ductum" - "Seize the tape"
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

"Wat is je punt?" ("What's your point", litterally translated)
"Dat zuigt grote tijd!" ("That sucks big time", even worse litteral translation)
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

A good jargon term Denyer reminded me of is "betamaxing" - when a superior thing is beaten out by an inferior but better marketed competitor, e.g Apple were betamaxed by MS...
The Green Knight

Originally posted by Quicksilver
A good jargon term Denyer reminded me of is "betamaxing" - when a superior thing is beaten out by an inferior but better marketed competitor, e.g Apple were betamaxed by MS...

Bzzzt! Oh I'm sorry, the correct answer is "they were both the same." both the same. Thank you for playing.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/products/beta_vs_vhs.html

Most people tend to think of the SuperBeta format when comparing to VHS, which isn't a fair comparison (S-VHS would be the logical competitior.)

And I must also contest the example: apple and MS both suck.
Computron

Post by Computron »

I use single words more rather than sayings

I tend to say "pure" a lot, generally it means good as in if someone gives you good news you might say "Pure" as in cool/ good

"Wrap up" is another one which generally means to shut up and/ or stop it

I think the latest words my mates have started using which I'm bound to start with soon is "rasp" but I havn't figured out what that is for yet :D

--Compy
I support a ban on powerposting
Lucifer
Protoform

Post by Lucifer »

Fa sh'easy, jigga.

That means "sure thing bro."
"'If you die,' you said, 'so do I,' you said, but it ends the day you understand, there is no forever, just this."
Sades

Post by Sades »

I say "pants" a lot with my fam. It's a surprisingly useful word when you don't know what else to say... :D
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Me and my friends have an old favorite.

Carpe carne--Seize the meat. ;)

I've ripped off many movie/TF lines and use them with frequency...

Almost! But almost doesn't get the job done. [/Megatron]

But I think something must be wrong with me, cuz I've ripped off lines from Harry Connick Jr., albeit from Independence Day...

Also we have many words that we use to describe drunkenness.

And then there's my word: Redstreaking - verb. To hop from topic to topic making wisecracks and occasionally saying something useful.

Nope, I didn't forget. :p
GeneralObsidian
Protoform

Post by GeneralObsidian »

There is a lot of Southern Slang I've been exposed to over the last couple of years...it's almost a second language. "I'm on you like stink on sh*t" has always elluded me. I last part can be interchanged such as "I'm on you like white on rice". Wha? And then there's "Slicker than snot". There are others but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Snake
Bzzzt! Oh I'm sorry, the correct answer is "they were both the same." both the same. Thank you for playing.
Which I presume is why betamax is the format of choice for archive footage in UK national libraries...whereas VHS tape degrades so rapidly that my parents have a shelf full of old recordings with no sound and virtually no picture...
ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 »

me and my friends say creeper alot, which basically means someone is a creep/weirdo/freakshow. Then of course there is the immortal use of shibby. and if you dont know what shibby means, just go out and rent Dude Wheres My Car
RoadRunnerClone
Protoform

Post by RoadRunnerClone »

Supercalafradelisticispialadocious...I still don't know what the Hell it means!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Which I presume is why betamax is the format of choice for archive footage in UK national libraries...whereas VHS tape degrades so rapidly that my parents have a shelf full of old recordings with no sound and virtually no picture...
Exactly. From why Doctor Who collecting days, I have both the VHS and Beta of "Revenge of the Cybermen"'s original release [or did, until I sold the original VHS for £40 and bought the new unedited release]. VHS was so bad quality you couldn't understand a word. Beta, which has been played more because I've only got about 10 Beta tapes and I'm a sucker for novelty, is at least as good as watching it on-air on TV... Both tapes are about 19 years old.
The Green Knight

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Exactly. From why Doctor Who collecting days, I have both the VHS and Beta of "Revenge of the Cybermen"'s original release [or did, until I sold the original VHS for £40 and bought the new unedited release]. VHS was so bad quality you couldn't understand a word. Beta, which has been played more because I've only got about 10 Beta tapes and I'm a sucker for novelty, is at least as good as watching it on-air on TV... Both tapes are about 19 years old.
Okay, fine then, despite debunking a lot of other urban myths, they're just making that one up to make betamax purchasers feel even worse about their format decision...

whatever...