Worst group of fanboys you know of?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Civ

Worst group of fanboys you know of?

Post by Civ »

In an effort to better clarify the term "fanboy" in hope to find some resemblence of a universal definition. So here's the question, who are the worst fanboys that you know of?

They don't have to be TF fans, I've heard that some LOTR fans are pretty bad, and I'm sure there are Trekkies out there that people want to slaughter with a wooly rhino femur. Post some links so we can analyze and comment on their "fanboyishness."
Astrotrain255
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain255 »

From my personnal experiences I'd say the worst of them all are AD&D fanboys...ugh can´t put links because the ones I'm quoting I've met in real events...
Civ

Post by Civ »

Can you describe your experiences then?

As a side note: I can't answer my own question because I've never heard of the term "fanboy" until I came to TFArchive. I'm sure I have met "fanboys" before, I'm just trying to decide who is and who is not one.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I hate otakus the most. Rather than call them "otakus" (since they're proud of that term for some reason) I just refer to them as "Asian wannabes".

They're kids that run around wearing t-shirts covered in kanji, or sometimes even traditional Japanese robes, spewing the occasional Japanese noun or verb (usuall "Kawaii" or "Baka") and acting like they're the authority on a culture they never gave two sh*ts about until they saw Dragonball Z.

These people annoy me more than any other fanboys I know of. As a speaker of the language I find it even more annoying than most. They run around yelling "Neko is kawaii!" like they know what they're talking about, annoying the hell out of anyone they come across. They actually manage to make an entire culture look BAD.

Case in point, I knew a guy in high school named Ben Mould. He was an Asian wannabe of the highest degree. He wore tradtional Japanese robes to school, shaved his head (he was black and he thought the curly hair didn't look asian enough) and called everyone "baka". I called him an asian wannabe once, his response "I am asian". I knew the guy quite well. He was born in Kenya to an african mother and a Jewish father. He then moved to america while he was still an infant. But he was dead-serious thinking that he was asian. Apparantly to him, asian was "a state of mind". He had lost it.

Personally, I am not a big fan of anime. Most of it is pretty stupid (though there are many I do love). It's just like any other entertainment medium. It isn't a religion. I learned the language and turned it into a career because I found the culture and the language itself very interesting. I couldn't give a damn about their cartoons.

Anime is currently the "in thing". I bet in about ten years people will move on to something else and this whole Japanese obsession will end. The asian wannabes will either realize their stupidity and move on or just wallow in the past, continuing to think they're an ethinicity they really aren't.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Yeah, otakus are probably among the worst. Especially fat otakus who dress up in sailor fukus.

Furries are at least as bad, though. (I dimly recall that one of the Archivers is a furry, so I just want to make clear that I don't mean him, I mean the freaky furries who are only in it for the "yiffing".) If you think a dragon going down on a squirrel is sexy, you need professional help.

Oh, and Harry Potter fanboys/-girls! Between all the BNF ("big name fan") cult worship, the truckloads of bad fanfic, the Hot Topic kids who think "wizard" is a code word for "goth kid", the shipper wars, and the functional illiterates on the harrypotter.com messageboards (including head cases like the girl who carved Tom Felton's initials into her ankle with a knife or some cr*p like that), you have a very scary, wanky fandom right there.
Claypool
Protoform

Post by Claypool »

Vancouver Canuck fans
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Arcee
Furries are at least as bad, though. (I dimly recall that one of the Archivers is a furry, so I just want to make clear that I don't mean him, I mean the freaky furries who are only in it for the "yiffing".) If you think a dragon going down on a squirrel is sexy, you need professional help.

I'm probably gong to regret asking this, but what is a furry? :confused:
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Civ
I'm probably gong to regret asking this, but what is a furry? :confused:

People who find anthropromorphic cartoon animal women sexy. Which is fine...to an extent.

Some furries, the most derange furries, practice beastiality and have group orgies while dressed in polar bear costumes or find photo-realistic art of beavers a turn-on.

So finding a pic of an anime catgirl doesn't necessarily make you a sick and disturbe furry, but finding photographs of horsses and elephants arousing most definantly does.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
People who find anthropromorphic cartoon animal women sexy. Which is fine...to an extent.

Some furries, the most derange furries, practice beastiality and have group orgies while dressed in polar bear costumes or find photo-realistic art of beavers a turn-on.

So finding a pic of an anime catgirl doesn't necessarily make you a sick and disturbe furry, but finding photographs of horsses and elephants arousing most definantly does.

Man, I knew I was going to regret asking that. Thanks for the explanation. Now, pardon me while I go bang my head against a wall to get that mental image out of my head. :wall: :wall:

I'm glad there is a line because I do enjoy reading that Sabrina-Online comic because I think it's pretty damn funny. First strip in a while to make my literally laugh out loud.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Spengler already covered it.

I loathe furries the most. Gotta get Liquified Tiger to talk about them again...

I hate asian wannabe's too and the next nerdy little cracker to call me "gaijin" is going to get his ass kicked.

There are so many fanboys and subcultures to hate though...why choose just one?
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Spengler already covered it.

I loathe furries the most. Gotta get Liquified Tiger to talk about them again...

I hate asian wannabe's too and the next nerdy little cracker to call me "gaijin" is going to get his ass kicked.

There are so many fanboys and subcultures to hate though...why choose just one?

You seem to have one of the better defined definitions of "fanboy" on this forum. Tell me, what was your first experience with fanboys. Since you obviously don't like a lot of them, I'm wondering what led up to all of the negative emotion towards them.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Sir Auros

Oh sh*t, how could I forget that one. I just want to stab them in the face with those chopsticks they always carry round with them when they call me that (that Ben guy I was talking about brought chopsticks with him to school so he could eat like a traditional asizn, despite the fact that the chopsticks are really inefficient when trying to eat American food).

I've never met a furry in real life. They hide themselves quite well. But they're all over the net, mostly at messageboards for cartoons that contained animal characters.

Ever go to a Sonic the Hedgehog messageboard?

F*cken freaks...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I've never met a furry in real life. They hide themselves quite well. But they're all over the net, mostly at messageboards for cartoons that contained animal characters.

I had to live with one, and being around them is where you really wanna kill them. Acting like they're animals, it's like this sad little "cute" act that some girls and girly guys put on sometimes.

Civ - Fanboys are basically people that take their interest in something way too far and get to the point where they both annoy casual fans and make us look bad. They also quite often won't listen to reason and in the case of TF's, they persistently believe that the G1 cartoon was brilliantly-written and clearly the pinnacle of all that is Transformers.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Red Wing Fans.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Ive had relatively no experience with most fanboys, but the ones Ive had the most contact with are Final Fantasy Fanboys. Just look at Gfaqs, that place possibly contains the highest concentration of FFF's the world has ever seen, its outrageous.

The polls are my proof, whenever one contains an FF element, its sure to win.

As far as the otaku thing goes, I went through a period a few years back where I was obsessed with Japan and such. Although I guess that was because I recently discovered a whole slew of Japan based things all at one time. The first being Gundam Wing that started to air on YTV, I rather liked the theme song, and so I went over to a friends house and I recommended he get it. So we went on to Napster, during its infant stages and got it. After that we started collecting tons of Two-Mix songs.

After that at another friends house, while he was sleeping I raped him (not really, I just want your attention). Anyway, I was on Napster there when I came across Ayumi Hamasaki for the first time, and it was one of her techno remixes - I was instantly hooked. Eventually I got Cable net and a new comp and started collecting tons of bloody anime. I was totally obessesed.

After years of collecting I finally started to watch some of it. Goddamn. Tons of the series were utter crap, with only a select few that were actually worth keeping, unfortunately I had already burned all of it to cd.

http://www.animenfo.com/myanimedb.php?userid=4659

Click on my name > stats > list all. Then sort in descending order.

Just look at all that crap.

I dont collect anime anymore, but Im still a huge fan of Ayu, and regularly get her new albums. Move also holds much of my interest, their new style is the ****.

Im not an azn wannabe, I find asian women attractive, and I like their music, but I dont feel that Im a fanboy. I dont have any of those kanji shirts, and I dont watch any of the anime shown on TV here, and I dont eat with chopsticks...so Im all good. Although one day Id like to go there just to see what its like...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Oooh yeah, forgot to mention the FF fanboys. They alone made me hate the whole damn series.

AD&D fanboys are really bad too. You know, the 40 year old virgins living in their moms' basements ranting on and on about how first edition was the greatest thing ever in that stereotypical (and quite existent) lisp.

I eat with chopsticks when they're provided, but only at chinese restaurants.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

I'm a 3rd level elf!

1st edition rocks!
Civ

Post by Civ »

Hmmm...reading all of the previous posts above, I think the closest thing to a fanboy that I've seen in person is an AD&D'er. This guy could rattle off stats faster than you can blink your left eye. He had tons of AD&D stuff ranging from books to actual weapons. At times, it was really embarrassing to know the guy.

Other close ones, but not quite:

I had a friend who just loved Star Trek. He had books, part of a uniform, some of the toys/tools that they use in the show, models, figures and on and on; however, he never showed his love for Star Trek in public unless you asked him. I don't think that's considered a fanboy, just a fan of Star Trek.

If I did call him a fanboy, then I would be a hypocrite since I have a fairly large G1 TF collection. I know G1 isn't the greatest stuff in the world, Beast Wars kicks it's butt in the writing department, but I still like them. I don't go around proclaiming how much I like TFs, I don't wear shirts or ballcaps, or get tattoos of TF stuff done on me. I simply like to collect the figures and I guess that just makes me a fan.

I've never run into an otaku, so I have no clue what they are like in person. From the description, they sound rather annoying. I do have a friend that likes to collect anime figures, anime movies, and anime posters, but he never shows it out in public. As a side note, I do know how to use chopsticks quite well, but I only use them when eating chinese or japanese dishes.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Oh ya, Im a Terminator fanboy...lol.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Originally posted by Civ
This guy could rattle off stats faster than you can blink your left eye. He had tons of AD&D stuff ranging from books to actual weapons. At times, it was really embarrassing to know the guy.

*points at Strafe* :p

One of my younger brothers is an anime fanboy. Doesn't bother me though.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!