For those who are wondering when exactly VW said they don't want to be involved...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

For those who are wondering when exactly VW said they don't want to be involved...

Post by Nevermore »

I was wondering about this myself for a while. People keep repeating that Volkswagen rejected any involvement in "war toys", but when exactly did they say it?

The closest thing I could find so far was a note on Michael Smith's website. Michael Smith is the creator of the famous "transforming Beetle" animation, and as he explains in his news, the people doing the Transformers DVD collections asked him to include the animation on on of their DVDs yet when he asked VW's PR department for giving him permission to use it, they refused to do so.

So I guess that was the indication that they don't want to be involved in Transformers ("war toys") at all? Unfortunately, the link to the feedback article on VW's website he links is broken, so I can't determine whether that was the respective "proof".

Does anyone know of other sources that confirm VW's position?

Edit: Not sure if this is "news". If anyone thinks this should be moved to "toys", feel free to do so.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It might not be "war" toys, though. More careful use of their most recognisable current likeness. I can imagine that several car companies would be reluctant to devalue their commercial status by being involved in a toy line of the ilk of Transformers [for example, I'd be outright shocked if we ever see a Ferrari Alternator]. It could be that VW have said something along the lines of they don't want anything to do with Transformers, and people have started guessing at reasons.

For the Smith thing, it could have just been an excuse, seeing as using a copyrighted design, and then asking permission, probably pissed VW off.

To be honest, we're probably lucky that VW haven't outright blocked use of the old Beetle, seeing as it looks like Takara didn't bother asking anyone for permission back in the day...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

With the original Bumblebee one could argue, though, that he looks different enough from a real Beetle for VW to be able to do anything against it...
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

hmm... never good to piss off the PR department...
I emailed VW's PR Department Severel weeks ago and the reply i recived stated that they were never contacted by Takara/Hasbro about the project, nor have heard of Altenators.....

Whats going on? who knows?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I've just contacted VW's PR department. Wonder what the reply will be. :)
Rookwise
Protoform

Re: For those who are wondering when exactly VW said they don't want to be involved...

Post by Rookwise »

Originally posted by Nevermore

The closest thing I could find so far was a note on Michael Smith's website. Michael Smith is the creator of the famous "transforming Beetle" animation, and as he explains in his news, the people doing the Transformers DVD collections asked him to include the animation on on of their DVDs yet when he asked VW's PR department for giving him permission to use it, they refused to do so.

The Transforming New VW Beetle in on a Transformers Movie DVD I bought (UK Region 2). Its in the extras section where you have to answer questions. If you answered all the questions correctly you were asked to pick 1 of 3 autobot symbols. One of them showed the tramsforming new beetle.
The TF movie dvd that it was on was the Maverick release.
Nevermore

Re: Re: For those who are wondering when exactly VW said they don't want to be involved...

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Rookwise
The Transforming New VW Beetle in on a Transformers Movie DVD I bought (UK Region 2). Its in the extras section where you have to answer questions. If you answered all the questions correctly you were asked to pick 1 of 3 autobot symbols. One of them showed the tramsforming new beetle.

Weird. So why does the guy who did the animation claim he wasn't allowed to put it on any DVD? :confused:
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

no idea

the movie dvd was where i saw it first

date of release of the dvd was 2001
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Chances are Maverick just didn't bother asking either party.

On the main topic, it's possible that HasTak are simply aiming for more impressive cars than a city car like the Beetle. A VW wouldn't interest enough people. Plus most of Bumblebee's charm lies in the fact he's unimpressive and cute. He's one of the ones most tied to his original form, if you follow. Add into that that the new Beetle is a very divisive design... I mean, is it right to assume HasTak actually want to make a VW alternator?

Oh, and as a side-note I wouldn't trust the VW PR team as far as I can throw them, which considering that it's probably the size of a factory isn't very far. Their habit of blatantly making things up is pretty legion in regard to some areas, such as the abortive F1 engine program, which they then tried to blame on the FIA when they realised that no-one in their right mind was interested in the Wankel concept...
MR Optimus Prime
Protoform

G1 Bumblebee...

Post by MR Optimus Prime »

Let us not forget that the G1 mini-cars were NOT designed to be actual cars in Diaclone. They were in fact suppose to be childrens' toys that turned into mini robots. So asking permission for there designs was probobly not an issue.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Could you use a smaller sig, please? I can resize it for you if you need.

You're right, Diaclone was intended as look & feel rather than replicas. Still, I'm surprised some of the designs went as unchallenged as they did.

This... is sort of news, because it's about the Beetle animation and the guy may have been telling the truth about the TF DVD business. Would regard it as rumour.

It must have been around for quite a while if it's on the Maverick TF:TM. Hmm. Makes me vaguely wish I'd kept my copy, although in all possible respects I prefer the cheap Prism release simply because it doesn't have any extras to be be ill-thought-out.
MR Optimus Prime
Protoform

No prob.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Small correction: The Mini-Cars were Microman in origin, not Diaclone. Diaclone were the realistic cars such as Wheeljack, Prowl, Sideswipe, Optimus Prime etc. as well as the Deepticon Seeker jets, while Microman were a) super-deformed "cute" toy vehicles (Bumblebee, Gears, Brawn and the likes) and b) life-sized utilities such as guns (Megatron, Browning), cassette players (Soundwave, Blaster) plus tapes (Ravage, Rumble, Buzzsaw) or Microscopes (Perceptor).

But yes, the Mini-Cars were extremely deformed. Nowhere is this more evident than with Cliffjumper, who was meant to be a Porsche 924 Turbo.
MR Optimus Prime
Protoform

Thank's for the correction fellow Transfan. Yeah, poor Cliffjumper, no where near a 924, more like a yellow Mad Max Interceptor police car.

NOT BAD AS THE GENERAL LEE THOUGH
Rookwise
Protoform

Re: Re: For those who are wondering when exactly VW said they don't want to be involved...

Post by Rookwise »

Originally posted by Rookwise

Sorry everyone. I just realised I made a mistake. The VW Beetle animation wasnt on the movie dvd. It was on the G1 Season 1 collectors edition box set (region 2 DVD). The rest of the info I gave was right though. You have to answer questions in the extras section (they are not very hard) and pick an Autobot symbol.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

maybe, just maybe hasbro/takara being as they are a japanese company and an US based company will only be making alternaters based on designs owned by US and Japanese car manufacturers, mayeb thats too overll simple but it sstil valid imo.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"