Preacher Movie Announced

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Preacher Movie Announced

Post by CounterPunch »

So I just read

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7767

In which it is announced that Columbia are developing a Preacher film with Sam Mendes in to direct.

So what do people think? Think it could work as a film? Who would you cast for the lead roles??
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It might be a bit obvious, what with Caleb, but Nathan Fillion would be a decent Jesse. With anyone other than Colin Farrell as Cassidy, too - maybe Tim Roth, he can do charismatic bastard. Clint Eastwood is about old enough to play The Saint of Killers as well.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Eastwood for The Saint, blatantly.

Dominic Monaghan for Cassidy?

Michelle Monahan as Tulip. Maybe Kristen Bell.

Fillion could do a great Jesse. He's done bastard reverend as Caleb, and kickass cowboy as Cap'n Mal. Plus Fillion = ratings, obviously.

Kurt Russell as God.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Halfshell wrote:Dominic Monaghan for Cassidy?
Hmm, see, I would think of him as being a little young looking, he doesnt feel the part, for me at least, however, I'm struggling to think of any Irish actors who would really fill the role.

Obviously, just because the characters Irish doesnt mean the actor has to be, but when it comes to the Irish accent you gotta make sure you have a solid actor in place otherwise the accent will just collapse in to embarrasing territory as we have seen oh so many times before.

I'm gonna go with Eastwood as Saint of Killers, you just have to watch the trailer for his latest acting role Gran Torino to see that 1. He still does pissed off better than anyone in the biz and 2. He can mix it up good and proper, even at his age.

Still, age is a problem.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, Clint ages weirdly. He looked the same from Rawhide through to about Clint and the Monkey 2, then suddenly aged for Pale Rider and has looked about the same since. It's only fair he gets the role as the Saint is basically William Munny.

Fully agree about the Irish accent for Cass. Being Irish is a big part of the character, and it could do without him being a "St Patricks Day Guinness Leprechaun" kind of Irish twattery... but I was thinking Stuart Townsend. Not sure if anyone's seen Resurrection Man - if you haven't, don't, it's diabolical, but he does a fabulous Irish accent, and probably has the right mix of charm and latent menace for the character.

Ben Kinglsey as Herr Starr as well. I'd say Donald Pleasance but, well, the makeup would have to be ****ing spectacular...

Kurt Russell as God = Diamond.

EDIT: Hmmm, Stuart Townsend's convincing Irish accent may be due to him being Irish.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:and probably has the right mix of charm and latent menace for the character.
This is the thing. Dom Monaghan, as far as I'm concerned, is physically a dead ringer for Cass. Maybe rough him up a bit round the edges, but they did that fine for the heroin addict stuff on Lost. But it comes down to "can he pull off the vicious bastard aspect of the character". Being a wee jolly little alcoholic leprechaun is one thing, but you need to believe that, given the slightest reason, he'll turn round and rip out your throat without a second thought. And I'm not sure on Dom for that.

Interested if one film can even contain Preacher, tbh. Seriously doubt it. I thought a while back about the best way to strip it down the basics... sadly, the Arseface stuff would probably be the first to go.

[EDIT] Maybe Peter Stormare for Cassidy. If he can get the accent. Which he might be able to, being as he's a proper actor who does lots of voice work.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Someone on a board I sometimes frequent brought up the suggestion of Jim Caviezel for Jesse, I've never seen any films hes been in, what do you guys think?
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I'm just not shure if this....

http://boxoffice.com/blogs/steve/james%20marsden.jpg
http://images.google.com/images?q=james ... 1&ct=title

can live up to jessie custer.

EDIT
sorry i read the article wrong, it was view askew thet wanted to use him.
A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

He looked suitably rugged in X-Men 3.... For the 5 mins he was in it...