Just HOW bad was the X-Men movie?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Just HOW bad was the X-Men movie?

Post by Sir Auros »

So bad that I'd forgotten it even existed until a few days ago when someone was talking about it...and I saw it in theaters more than once...

My hopes aren't high for the second one...or Terminator 3...
mkay0
Protoform

Post by mkay0 »

X2 is loosely based on "God Loves, Man Kills" so it has much potential to be better than the first.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Ehh, T3 obviously wont be as good as T2, but you cant go wrong with Cyborgs. :)
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

X-Men? Aside the final fight between X-Men and Brotherhood it was quite boring. But I am willing to give second one a chance.

T3? I don't know. Hey, have anyone seen trailer of the parody of T3? terminator goes back in time to save Jesus from being crucified. :D
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Ozz
T3? I don't know. Hey, have anyone seen trailer of the parody of T3? terminator goes back in time to save Jesus from being crucified. :D

Ya, thats hilarious.:D
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I didn't think X-men was all that bad. Storms "You know what happens to a toad..." line made me want to puke. But otherwise it wasn't so horrible.

T3 might be good, it might not. They need to kill that damn psychiatrist though. God I hate that guy.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I didn't think X-men was all that bad. Storms "You know what happens to a toad..." line made me want to puke. But otherwise it wasn't so horrible.

T3 might be good, it might not. They need to kill that damn psychiatrist though. God I hate that guy.

I agree with you on both counts.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

the best things about X-Men the movie? I can think of four things I liked about it...Rogue, Jean Grey, Storm, & Mystique...

but i do have to concede that hugh jackman did pull off wolvy rather well...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
but i do have to concede that hugh jackman did pull off wolvy rather well...

It was the fact that the entoire movie was about Wolverine trying to get Rogue to pull him off that was the main problem.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Its all about the Hulk! That movie is gonna rock
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I dunno, I've seen the previews and the Hulk himself looks painfully like a cgi character...
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Well it is CGI yet that does not bother me. I know Lou Ferigno was a great Hulk yet he had hardlt any dialogue. So it looks like they're going with the Hulk smash approach and leave the lines with his human counterpart Dr. Bruce Banner, or will it be David?
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Storms "You know what happens to a toad..." line made me want to puke.

That is quite possibly the worst line in movie history.

The movie had an amazing number of problems.

Firstly, it was rather boring, with Rogue, Wolvy, Prof, and Magneto being the only characters with any substance. Questionable substance, yes, but substance.

The costumes - I understand not putting Wolvy in yellow, but that doesn't mean everyone has to wear the same costume. That also increased the boring level of this movie.

The villians sucked - They made a nice choice of villians, but aside from Magneto, none of them had any background story, aside from the fact that Mystique used to get picked on by people like Senator Kelly.

Trying to make Toad more impressive by giving him more abilities - Toad sucks, there's nothing that can be done to change that. Making him into a carrot by giving him orange skin and green hair, giving him a huge tongue, and the ability to spit gunk on people does not make him any more impressive, in fact, it just might make him even more ****ty.

Killing Sabretooth - Toad needed to die, but taking out such a great villian like Sabretooth was shooting themselves in the foot. They could have made a whole movie with him as the main villian, but they killed him off after few lines if any (can't remember too well), without giving any characterization.

Overall, I imagine for a person who has absolutely no knowledge of the comic whatsoever may be able to get a little enjoyment out of this movie, but I expected just a tad more out of these characters.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
Trying to make Toad more impressive by giving him more abilities - Toad sucks, there's nothing that can be done to change that. Making him into a carrot by giving him orange skin and green hair, giving him a huge tongue, and the ability to spit gunk on people does not make him any more impressive, in fact, it just might make him even more ****ty.

See, the thing I can't work out with Toad was why not use someone else? There are stacks more impressive X-Men villains out there, especially if they're not bothering at all with the comic view of them [i.e. Magneto never worked with Mystique, and they'd probably kill each other if they did]... I mean, there's the Juggernaut, Sauron [no, not that one...], Pyro, Avalance, even Quicksilver and/or the Scarlet Witch - which could have the nice story point of "are they gonna turn, like in the comics, or not?"...
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I just pray that in the 3rd movie they don't bring Magneto back again. Yes, he's the first villian that comes to mind when thinking X-Men, but there's a plethora of other excellent villians that need their time in the spotlight.

Nothing would please me more than to see Apocalypse in the 3rd movie. He may even be more interesting than Mags, and is certainly more visually striking. In the same movie, they should introduce Havok, to get ready for our next villain, Mr. Sinister. He's plenty creepy, and cheaper to produce than Apocalypse.

I'd also like to see the Brood, Sentinels, Proteus, or maybe even the Phoenix Saga. And I would sell my soul to Stan Lee to see an AOA movie. It would never happen, but I can dream, can't I?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I always knew Auros secretly loved me. This thread just proves it. How bad was the movie? Bloody awful, that's how bad. Boring, more posing and pouting than action or plot, plus all of the other points already made. The mere existence of that movie offends me, and I haven't even been all that big on X-men for about 7 years. Saying that though, Exiles, Weapon X and Agent X are all good reads. I may give the second movie a chance, but I don't hold out much hope. If it does turn out to be **** there's a very real chance tha I may burn the cinema down after seeing it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Weapon X? Really? I read the first two and thought it was terrible - they appear to have lifted chunks of it from the [equally poor] 2nd Alpha Flight series, and the Sabretooth thing in #1-2 was horribly desperate...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I know feelings have been a bit mixed, but I read it start to finish all at once (issues 1-4) and found it to be an enjoyable read, if nothing particularly special. The recruitment issues weren't bad either. Saying that, I wouldn't recommend it nearly as strongly as I would exiles, or agent X so far (although I think Gail Simone has left agent X now so it might go downhill).
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

I liked the X-Men movie. Sure, it had some down points, but it could have been so much worse than it was. It's all about making a film that's good while not requiring a background in the comics, and they did an okay job of that. It could have been much worse; see the animated "Pryde Of The X-Men" for an example of just how much they can f*ck-up a cartoon. Imagine that as a feature-length, live-action fiasco... yuck! Or if that's not enough, look at the three Captain America movies that have been made; the last one was so bad they decided not to have a theatrical release in the US (though I think the earlier ones were even worse. I mean, the shield was made of plexiglass and was partially clear in those two. Stupid, stupid, stupid. In that later one, Cap's shield was made of titanium... at least it was metal that time.)

The whole Wolverine-Rogue thing was dumb. and a bit creepy. I can still remember Rogue telling Wolvie "Xavier says ah'm ahn X-man!" when she went with him, but I don't recall them ever acting like they did in the movie. But the thing is, if the movie were written so that Jubliee was the plot device (I don't see how it could, but for argument's sake, pretend), it would mirror the comics pretty well. Wolvie's always had a thing for younger girls, going back as far back as Kitty, if memory serves (it's been a long time...)

Halle Berry could have phoned the lines in for all the acting she did...

The costumes, well, since they're just starting out, they should have similar uniforms; that's how it was when the x-men first started out in the comics. As time passes, they should alter than to reflect their individuality.

And Sabertooth was supposed to be dead at the end of X-Men? I didn't realize that; what happened to him seemed quite survivable, given how tough he is and his healing factor.

Toad has been a talking doorstop more often than even a crappy villain... they should have just kept him in the background and got another X-Villain... Pyro could would have been a great choice, instead of making him a brat at the school.

Oh, and there was a great high-point in the movie, and I defy you to disagree with me here; "You're a dick!" - Wolvie to Cyclops. Ah man, that has been so overdue. Or, maybe it's not... maybe it's just that I can't stand ole Slim 'cause I think he's an annoying f*ckin' stiff who whines about being "cursed" by his power. Some of my views are a bit unusual though...

Of course, there's one element that bothers me: people talking as if the comics are some kind of sacred and utterly perfect bible-like work that has been forever defiled by the movie... It's ridiculous! The comics are quite flawed in their own right, and no series of movies can further nor reduce what the writers have done to it. I mean, look at that "a crisis in the marvel universe"/ULTIMATE-Editions crap... reformatting the marvel universe. They claim it's to make everything better, more awesome, and to remove all the inconsistancies and mistakes of the past. I say it's just a cop-out to rehash all the old stuff, as opposed to creating new adventures, and to get rid of old problems so they can be replaced by new problems... It's one thing to explore alternate outcomes and events (I happened to like the "What If?" books), but quite another to do that with the whole damned universe.

And Quick... you didn't like Weapon-X? You are talking about the Marvel Comics Presents series, right, and not some other series I haven't heard of, right?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Snake
Or if that's not enough, look at the three Captain America movies that have been made; the last one was so bad they decided not to have a theatrical release in the US (though I think the earlier ones were even worse. I mean, the shield was made of plexiglass and was partially clear in those two. Stupid, stupid, stupid. In that later one, Cap's shield was made of titanium... at least it was metal that time.)
i really want to see the mid-80s one for some reason [I think that'd be the third]... dunno why!
Wolvie's always had a thing for younger girls, going back as far back as Kitty, if memory serves (it's been a long time...)
I seem to remeber it being a bit more clear friends, with maybe Kitty liking Wolvie more than vice-versa... wasn't Kitty hung up on Petey right from the start?
Of course, there's one element that bothers me: people talking as if the comics are some kind of sacred and utterly perfect bible-like work that has been forever defiled by the movie... It's ridiculous! The comics are quite flawed in their own right, and no series of movies can further nor reduce what the writers have done to it.
Y'see, divergence from the comics, in theory, wasn't a problem for me... it was just that the way it was done was uninteresting and occasionally rather stupid...
I mean, look at that "a crisis in the marvel universe"/ULTIMATE-Editions crap... reformatting the marvel universe. They claim it's to make everything better, more awesome, and to remove all the inconsistancies and mistakes of the past. I say it's just a cop-out to rehash all the old stuff, as opposed to creating new adventures, and to get rid of old problems so they can be replaced by new problems... It's one thing to explore alternate outcomes and events (I happened to like the "What If?" books), but quite another to do that with the whole damned universe.
I think it was you before that said this, and I agree - they're just giving themselves a reset button and in a few years the mess will start again... I think the MU titles are being kept on because Quesada realises that the Ultimate line could yet be something of a fad, and could fall from fashion, leaving the consistent sales of the MU titles as a safe fall-back... I mean, already we've got an Ultimates/Ultimate X-Men crossover...
And Quick... you didn't like Weapon-X? You are talking about the Marvel Comics Presents series, right, and not some other series I haven't heard of, right?
The latter - a new mini-sries based around the Weapon X facility with a new team known as Weapon X, including Wildchild, Aurora [she's called something else, but i couldn't give a Fantastic Four], Marrow and a few other third-stringers and painfully stale 'new' characters...