Simon Furman blog updates (expect some minor spoilers) | UPDATED: April 3rd Updates

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Simon Furman blog updates (expect some minor spoilers) | UPDATED: April 3rd Updates

Post by zigzagger »

Writer Simon Furman's blog has been recently updated, revealing some details for Devastation #4. Minor spoilers.
It's blogerific!
SPOILER! (select to read)
Haven’t done one of these in a while, so here (for your delectation) is my post-script perambulations on Transformers Devastation #4 (as spoiler-free as I can make ‘em). Big, big dust up this issue, as pretty much all the Autobots (Optimus Prime included) take on Sixshot. Apart from some pretty spectacular pyrotechnics and some crunching action (not everyone gets out unscathed, I’m warning you), what makes this battle notable is that the world is watching. It’s been coming ever since Sixshot arrived on Earth and his actions in Devastation #1-3 have kind of made it inevitable, but at last the general populace of Earth gets to see giant robot vs giant robot ‘live at five.’ Trust me, nothing will ever be the same again in the IDW/TF-verse. Oh, and Hot Rod and Wheeljack find that time (of which they had plenty in issue #1) is tick, ticking away, both for themselves (due to the unwanted attentions of the Headmasters) and for poor old Ironhide (for whom matters are distinctly, um, pressing). And Hunter takes an irreversible step, forever defining his distinctly intertwined destiny with the robots in disguise. And we also (”there’s more?”, I hear you say) have a crowd-pleasing cameo (that ties in to both one of the already published Spotlights and one of the upcoming ones too) for you to savour, plus the full-blooded return of… ah, but that’d be telling. I’m that excited, I’d better go write issue #5, find out what happens next! Transformers Devastation #4 hits in December. For more details of all IDW’s upcoming Transformers releases go here.
warning: ranting. read at own discretion
You know, after reading this, and the previous entry for Devastation #3, there has been some speculation floating about that Ratchet may not make it out of the Sixshot battle alive.
Grrrrrrr.....

(recently edited out of embarrassment)
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Simon has also confirmed that one of the 3 Spotlights he's writing in the next wave of Spotlight issues is Grimlock

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/vie...8&start=135
One of the trio of Spotlights I'm writing is Spotlight Grimlock. There, I've said it. The other two? I think I've seen both names floated in one or other of the threads, but (unless someone else is doing him) no Springer I'm afraid.
He’s also mentioned before that one of the other two characters is a radical reinvention of a "TF:TM" character.

Well, it’s been two years now, and he’s only appeared once -- as such, I have no problem with bringing back Big G.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Aardvark
He’s also mentioned before that one of the other two characters is a radical reinvention of a "TF:TM" character.
Wheelielol.
Well, it’s been two years now, and he’s only appeared once -- as such, I have no problem with bringing back Big G.

I'm assuming he'll be showing up in the main title first as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Wheelielol.

Actually, that was first 'bot that came to mind, what with his debut/cameo in the upcoming Spotlight: Optimus Prime
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... imus+prime
If, say, Roche were to do book featuring Wheelie, that just might quell any initial doubts towards Wheelie returning to the printed page. Maybe.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

And Hunter takes an irreversible step, forever defining his distinctly intertwined destiny with the robots in disguise.
I really don't like the sound of that.
And we also (”there’s more?”, I hear you say) have a crowd-pleasing cameo
We're Transfans. We're incapable of being pleased. Doesn't he realise this?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by Brendocon
We're Transfans. We're incapable of being pleased. Doesn't he realise this?

Oh, I don't know. A big enough bar of white chocolate and some Starscream to glom, and I'm usually OK...

Providing that the cameo is going to be a decent one and worth it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

That was the collective "we"...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

That was the selfish "me".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Which was, as such, completely unrelated to my point, then.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Why does the book need the Adventure Kids anymore anyway? Surely all the valid metatextual reasons have been used up?
inflatable dalek

Well Hunter looks likely to wind up as Nightbeats head when they take that bug thing out...
zigzagger

9/11: Simon Furman's blog updated (some spoilers)

Post by zigzagger »

TF writer Simon Furman has updated his blog, teasing us once more with scant, yet tantalizing details for upcoming IDW TF releases. In this entry, Mr. Furman discusses Devastation #5. Yes, expect some spoilers.
Try it. It's blogerific!

Right, back to the ‘ongoing,’ with a round-up of stuff I can reveal (which ain’t anything major, don’t worry) about Transformers Devastation #5. As with my last Script (W)rap, for Beast Wars The Ascending #4, as we get further into a series (one where people are still to read issue #1, which comes out next week by the way), it’s tougher to tease and easier to inadvertantly give away stuff you later wish you hadn’t. There’s just so much BIG stuff happening in Devastation I’m particularly wary of anything approaching a true spolier. I don’t want to lose that big ‘wow’ factor when you finally see all this on the page. So, in very general terms, for the Autobots this is very much an aftermath issue (after #4’s simply colossal dust-up with Decepticon living weapon Sixshot). But boy, what an aftermath! The life and death stuff that wasn’t resolved last issue is resolved here (E.R. eat your heart out). And Optimus Prime makes a decision that will stun you. Seriously. As for the Decepticons, they’ve got Reaper trouble. If you thought the Reapers just amounted to the six you saw in Spotlight Sixshot, think again! And it’s not just external forces plaguing Megatron. Trouble comes to a head within as well, in the shape of… well, that would give the game away, though once you see EJ’s fabulous cover you’ll know. And (’cause this one’s packed to the rafters) there’s more on Hunter, more on the Headmasters, more on Hot Rod and Wheeljack and even a tease of a certain upcoming Spotlight featuring, well, the one I said I’d sideline for as long as possible, but then I started getting withdrawal symptoms and, anyway, you’ll see! This one doesn’t hit stores until January 08! But it’ll be worth the wait, I promise! For more details on all IDW Transformers titles, visit the IDW website here.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Wow. Sounds like devastation's gonna live up to its name. Wonder how many he'll kill off.

Anyone know who the spotlight he mentions'll be? Grimlock maybe? Good to see more Spotlights coming even if they are a way off. Anyone know if any BW spotlights have been considered?

I'm looking forward to Devastation even more than I was!
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Post by trilobitepictures »

Well he did manage to squeeze Wheelie into the Optimus spotlight, maybe we're going to see something on him soon...
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

inflatable dalek

SO that Spotlight character will be Grimlock then...
zigzagger

9/28: Simon Furman's blog updated (some spoliers)

Post by zigzagger »

Writer Simon Furman has updated his blog, once more teasing with scant but tantalizing details of upcoming TF titles. The latest entry discusses Spotlight: Blaster (ooo, ooo, and feel free to check out earlier entries.The 27th entry discusses Ascending, and stuff).
Go on! Try it. It's blogerif...oh, nevermind, just touch the link. Do it!
The news is out, the next Transformers Spotlight (the first in what is effectively vol 3) is to feature… Blaster. Now already there’s been speculation (on various website forums) as to exactly which Blaster this will be. The rock ‘n’ roll fixated, amped-up version from the cartoon series or the harder edged but compassionate warrior from Bob Budiansky’s Marvel Comics run. The answer is neither, or maybe an amalgam of the two with a new twist, however you want to look at it. The whole point with these character Spotlights (and the IDW TF-verse in general) is that you don’t ever get quite what you were expecting. If it’s been done before, the rule of thumb is, don’t do it again (or don’t do it the same way). So in Spotlight Blaster we meet not one but two new versions of Blaster, a before and after. Before/after what, you might ask. Well, let’s just say there’s an element of murder/mystery (without the murder per se) about this particular Spotlight, as a killer (and perhaps even a traitor) stalks the Autobot Command Hub, out finish something they started a while ago. But what about Blaster himself? Well, he’s certainly loud and bombastic, and his ‘voice’ is pretty much what defines him and his role in the larger scheme of things. But, as the story opens, circumstances have left him a shellshocked shadow of his former self, initiating an exploration of who, once you strip away the larger-than-life bluff and bluster, the real Blaster is. Expect a host of cool cameos, a link to one of the other existing Spotlights and a dramatic new direction for the focal character that will (eventually) affect the ‘ongoing.’ For those of you who felt Galvatron and Optimus Prime maybe weren’t self-contained enough for the Spotlight format, hopefully Blaster will fulfil all the criteria. Transformers Spotlight Blaster ships in January 08, and you can check out some advance art (cover and interior pages) in this thread on the IDW forums.
inflatable dalek

Ten quid says the Traitor will be Dealer (and thus the link back to the other Spotlight).
Terome

Post by Terome »

He was last seen on the Oribtal Command Hub...
trilobitepictures
Protoform

Post by trilobitepictures »

(Double)Dealer shows up again in Devastation #2. There seems to be some kind of flashback happening with Hot Rod.
"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Perceptor then? Though, didn't he try to off Blaster in the past? No?
Of course, if that were the case that would make Furmlock a dirty liar.