Optimus reissue info

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Lemming
Protoform

Optimus reissue info

Post by Lemming »

Question
Will the reissue of Optimus Prime have shortened smokestacks?
Answer
The G1 Optimus Prime will have the same size smokestacks as the original.

In fact, other than a few minor modifications to the projectiles, it is the same toy as we originally released in 1984.

This can be found here: http://hasbro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/hasb ... MQ**&p_li=
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Very cool. I was thinking of buying an original junker cab and taking off the smokestacks to replace them with the reissue. My faith in Hasbro has been restored.
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

I've seen pictures of both Prime and Magnus inside their boxes and the smoke stacks look hella-altered to me. So someone either is lying or hasn't a clue what they are talking about.
I wish this wasn't so. I really do. :(
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
Scourge
Protoform

Post by Scourge »

Yeah . . . what is the story with that? I've heard that Hasbro reps reported at Botcon that the smokestacks would remain unaltered, but the re-issues that were won at the convention clearly were the chopped smokestacks. And the display at Chicago showed Optimus with blue eyes and the display at Botcon showed him with yellow (both with chopped stacks.) So what's the deal? What exactly did the Hasbro reps say?

Edit: I'm going to laugh if the ones with chopped stacks become ultra collectors items . . .
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

What's shown at conventions isn't necessarily the final product, and usually isn't. The ones won at Botcon were probably the same ones that were shown at Wizard World Chicago. I believe that the ones that end up on store shelves will have the long smokestacks.
Scourge
Protoform

I hope so . . .

Post by Scourge »

but I'm not going to hold my breath. The ones appearing on Ebay are with the chopped smokestacks, and I don't imagine Hasbro gave all the ones on Ebay away at Botcon. Or maybe I'm wrong--How many did they give away?
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

Personally, the smokestacks are very irrelevent to me. I really didn't get a chance to get these figures when I was younger, so I'm going to do it now. If it didn't have smoke stacks I wouldn't be concerned. Besides, I don't think its the smoke stacks or size of the missles that make a figure really or even worth buying.
Setz27
Protoform

Post by Setz27 »

I found an Ultra Magnus at Toys R Us down here in Jacksonville, FL yesterday. The stacks on the truck only stuck up about an 1/8 of an inch above the cab. Looks like short stacks to me.

(as of 8:00pm 8/8/02 there were two still on the shelves of the TRU across from the Regency Mall in JAX, FL, and at least 6 Rodimus Majors)

Setz27
1SoundWave1
Protoform

Post by 1SoundWave1 »

Yeah the smoke stacks were shorted Hasbro lied the only reason I know they where shorted compared new ultra Magnus to the 80's version I don’t think Hasbro has any idea what smoke stacks are!!!
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Wow, Setz27, thanks for the update, I may have to head out there! I live on the westside, and usually go to the Toys R Us by the Orange Park Mall. They didn't have any reissues yet, but plenty of Armada Lazerbeaks... :mad: Hopefully tomorrow they'll get a shipment of Ultra Magnuses at least...
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

It makes me unhappy that Hasbro would lie to us...
Scourge
Protoform

Post by Scourge »

What exactly did the Hasbro Reps. say? None of the Botcon reports I've read online have quoted them as having said anything specifically about the smokestacks. They said that certain changes had to be made to meet with modern safety standards. They said that a Megatron re-issue was more or less out of the question. And they spoke about the Fortress Maximus delay. Also, they obviously talked at lenght about Armada . . . But at any rate, those are the major points I've picked up. How about you all?
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Scourge
What exactly did the Hasbro Reps. say? None of the Botcon reports I've read online have quoted them as having said anything specifically about the smokestacks. They said that certain changes had to be made to meet with modern safety standards.
Well, the changs have been made to both Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus. I found Ultra Magnus at my Toys R Us today, and he has the shortened smokestacks and the retarded-looking, ultra long "penis missiles." I tell you, those things stick out so far from his shoulders that it's not even funny.

I'm quite disappointed. The worst part? ALL of the packaging on all 3 figures shows Magnus and Prime with the long smokestacks. It also shows Magnus with the shorter missiles. The instruction diagrams show both long smokestacks and short missiles. This seems rather misleading to me, and that's the problem I have with Hasbro right now.

The sticker sheets are taken directly from the Takara reissues. They even have the C-69 on them. They're in Japanese. If you have any of the Japanese reissues for these figures, you don't need to bother picking them up. I made the mistake of getting a Rodimus Major. He is IDENTICAL to the Japanese rerelease (metal toes, rubber tires, two weapons). I guess if you want instructions in English, you can get him. Looks like one of my friends will likely be getting a cool b-day present...

Even the packaging feels generic and rushed. That's the likely reason Ops and Mags have long stacks in the photos, they were probably lifted from Hasbro's "packaging artwork" archives. After getting a Botcon Catscan (thanks Garand and Fishbulb!) and reissue Prowl and Jazz, maybe I've become spoiled. It just feels like Hasbro put as little effort as possible into these figures, and the only effort they did put in was in ****ing them up. God, do I hate our litigious society...
Setz27
Protoform

Post by Setz27 »

Your Right BigMaki, the Ultra Magnus and Rodimus Major figures were really disappointing. Did you have a look at the Rodimus Major instructions. Up in the first row of pictures they show one of his weapons being placed in the "engine" and its labeled Photon Rifle. Down in pane 8 the are labeled Phaton Rifles. Also the stickers on the legs (5 & 6) are in the wrong places. If you put them where you are told they end up interfering with the wheels. Looks like Hasbro needs a proof-reader, would it have been that difficult to ask some joe-blow from the street, this look ok to you?

Haven't looked over the inserts on the Ultra Magnus yet, maybe they are just as bad. But I do know his stickers don't stay on without alot of care and hopefull thoughts.

Maybe when Jazz and Prowl make it to me through the mail it will counteract this disappointment.

Setz27
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Setz27
Your Right BigMaki, the Ultra Magnus and Rodimus Major figures were really disappointing. Did you have a look at the Rodimus Major instructions. Up in the first row of pictures they show one of his weapons being placed in the "engine" and its labeled Photon Rifle. Down in pane 8 the are labeled Phaton Rifles. Also the stickers on the legs (5 & 6) are in the wrong places. If you put them where you are told they end up interfering with the wheels. Looks like Hasbro needs a proof-reader, would it have been that difficult to ask some joe-blow from the street, this look ok to you?
I didn't even open up the instructions for Hot Rod. I have the Japanese one, which is identical, so I figured I'd better leave everything as it was if I want to give it to someone as a birthday present or try to trade him to someone... But at least he's not altered like Mags and Ops.
Maybe when Jazz and Prowl make it to me through the mail it will counteract this disappointment.
Dude, you have no idea. Imagine the complete opposite of everything that Hasbro has done with their rereleases and you have Takara's rereleases. The packaging is terrific, with a booklet attached with lots of artwork and a figure checklist at the end. It's all in Japanese, granted, but it still looks great. The way the figures are removed from the packaging is nice, as well. It's a big clear plastic piece that pulls up and all of the parts are loose underneath. No twist-ties to clip away to get to your figure. And, of course, Prowl rules. He is just way cool looking. It's nice to have a shiny unbroken version of him, as well as Jazz...
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by BigMaki
Prowl rules. He is just way cool looking. It's nice to have a shiny unbroken version of him, as well as Jazz...
It does feel good I have to admit.
Although with the Jazz I'm getting the replacement stickers from reprolables. I want Jazz not Meister.
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

What exactly did the Hasbro Reps. say?

The reps said nothing. In my orginal post, I cut and pasted the stuff from Hasbro's website...
It just feels like Hasbro put as little effort as possible into these figures, and the only effort they did put in was in ****ing them up. God, do I hate our litigious society...

If you go bwtf.com they have reviews and mention that the missle launchers were completely redone and are incompatiable with the orginal ones... If it was a rush job they would just done new missles, I would think.
Although with the Jazz I'm getting the replacement stickers from reprolables. I want Jazz not Meister.

How do their stickers differ?
Scourge
Protoform

Post by Scourge »

How did I miss that link? Sorry. But I guess they're liars. You can see all the differences between original and reissue Op and Mags at BWTF.com *sigh* Does anyone have them yet? Do you think you can cut the missiles to the right length and still have them work?

edit: stupid spelling
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Scarrita

Then why didn't you buy Jazz instead of Meister?
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

I had ordered both Jazz and Prow from Big Bad Toy Store. They were the Jap reissues, and seeing how in Japan he was called Meister (but I'm sure some of you knew this) that was how he was sold.
Where it is supposed to say "Martinii" or "Porche" it has been replaced with Meister.
I'll take that easily fixable alteration over what Hasbro has done to OP and UM.