DOCTOR WHO: The Ninth Doctor build-up + episodes [spoilers]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Offical! New 'Doctor Who' is cast

Post by Jetfire »

and it's very intresting news and it's totally offical.

An intresting choice. I would have gone for Bill Nighy or Richard Grant, but I'm the first to admit a very different choice is needed and I was looking at a 'Tom Bakerish' type. Chris certainly is an excelent actor and I'm looking forward to this new series.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

F*CK OFF

Ecclestone can play psycho Northerner, and that's it. That is the most diabolical casting decision I've ever seen.

They might as well have cast Ray ****ing Winstone and be done with it.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Maybe the new Doctor Who will be a Psycho Northerner, pissed off with his dull and boring life in Wigan and desperate to get out. Hence the whole time travel thing. Didn't think of that, didja?

Having no idea who Ecclestone is, I'll refrain from judgement. I didn't even know there was going to be a new Dr Who series. Should be interesting though, even if Cliffy's right and the lead actor is ****e.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
F*CK OFF

Ecclestone can play psycho Northerner, and that's it. That is the most diabolical casting decision I've ever seen.

They might as well have cast Ray ****ing Winstone and be done with it.

I disagee.
That's like saying McCoy can only be silly scot's. He ended up (in retrospect) being an excellent Doctor in several stories, a fact i recall you have agreed on.

All Doctor's so far have pretty much been an exaggerated version of them selves. Hartnell, Pertwee, Baker 1 etc etc.If Ecclestone's, 1 part type, is right then it's good casting.

Give the man a chance, he's been great in Cracker, our friends in the north and as phycho. Prehaps the 'psycho elements he add's to parts will nicely translat to the Doctors eccentricity. The writing team comprises of several excelent writers who have all been responsible for not just goo but excelent and unique shows and Ecclestone could be the typr of Doctor they were thinking of.

Remember the first regeneration? Troughton taking over from Hartnell is just as radically different a change to the character as Ecclestone from before. In fact Tom Bakers, the most mad Doctor took over from the most serious. I think casting someone uniquely different is a good thing. If Ecclestone does one part well, and he does do it well, and that part is right for the 'Doctor' the writers were thinking of then there's nothing wrong with the casting.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

And now I've thought about it, Ecclestone has the ability to command authority (Elizabeth), appear calm (the others), be funny (LoG), mad (Shallow Grave) and serious. All the characteristics needed to be the Doctor in any incarnation. Hwat's your problem with him Cliffy?

And on another thred. The 'second comming series' with Ecclestone in is susposed to be brill and and good incling of what Ecclestone's doctor would be like. It's written by the main writter of the new 'Who' series:smokin:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Second Coming? That'd be the one where he plays the same character he always does, just has Christ-like powers? It's utter crap.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Who says the doctor cant be a psycho northener?
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Lord Zarak

I'm a psycho northener.... I'd make a good dr.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
I'm a psycho northener.... I'd make a good dr.

There we go. Give wapry his doctorate now and pack him off to the NHS!
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

I'm a psycho northener

Arent we all?
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Arent we all?

And where have you been recently?

I've got a 4-1 trashing and a 12 point lead to gloat about :p
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
And where have you been recently?

I've got a 4-1 trashing and a 12 point lead to gloat about :p

Hiding from the shame, actually.

*sits, gets ready for the insults*
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oh, I dunno, the fact he's a ****ing alien? And not a psycho? Thatw whole thing?
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Arent we all?

No, you're midland scum to me...
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

No, you're midland scum to me...
I suppose that'd apply to me also? I haven't seen enough of Christopher Ecclestone's pefomances to say whether or not he'd make a good Doctor. We'll just have to wait and see whether he gets the thumbs up or struck off.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

And not a psycho? Thatw whole thing?
Have you read much of the eighth doctor series?

On the other hand, I think it's become a little too fashionable to associate an extended and complex lifespan with constant trials. All of the Doctors to date have gone forward with a twinkle in their eye and a slight swagger in their step, and that's a big part of the character to me.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
Have you read much of the eighth doctor series?
The BBC ones? Hah, no. Steve Lyons and Lance Parkin are the only proper writers they've used. For Christ's sake, they commissioned Mike Tucker, the guy whose job it was to set the fireworks in the 1980s. The Virgin stuff with the 7th Doctor was infinitely better. Oh, and incidentally, Russell T. Davies' books on it were diabolical faux-Cartmel.

And before someone else says it, sure, Colin was a little disorientated for the first two episodes of "The Twin Dilemma" and slightly amoral at times [which to me smacked of poor writing rather than intentional character development]. But it was hardly strait-jacket stuff really. I mean, who else was never tempted to strangle Peri?

See, this is my problem with Ecclestone, apart from the fact he can't act. It's early days, sure, but it's a definite move towards making the Doctor an EDGY MAVERICK. Something that can go on before Dalziel & Pascoe. Something that can be nominated for TV awards. Together with Davies "right-on" reputation [and yes, on the evidence, he does write 'Who like that too]. It's not that I'm down at social realism in 'Who [Cartmel excelled at this], it's just the Doctor needs to be alien. Ecclestone's about as alien as Les Battersby.

They might as well have given it to Channel 4 and been done with it.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

See, this is my problem with Ecclestone, apart from the fact he can't act.

But Ecclestone can act. I'm not saying his regional range is fantastic but he is very good at what he does.

Together with Davies "right-on" reputation [and yes, on the evidence, he does write 'Who like that too]. It's not that I'm down at social realism in 'Who [Cartmel excelled at this], it's just the Doctor needs to be alien. Ecclestone's about as alien as Les Battersby.

'Alien'? I don't recall Colin Baker, Peter Davidson or Sylvester McCoy or Jon Pertweeever being particlally alien and none of those remoltly protrayed the same character either. The only quota for the Doctor is 'English eccentric' and McCoy failed on that by quite a margin but still ended up as a reasonable Doctor Who.
Ecclestone was very good in Cracker and Our friends,excelent in 'Shallow grave' (as both the normal flatmate and someone cracking uo) and Elizabeth and even funny in 'League of Gentlemen'-and that covers a fair number of bases someone would look at when playing the Doctor. For f##ks sake McCoy was only famous for shoving ferrets down his trousers before Doctor Who :rolleyes:
So why be so judgemental about a series with 3 excelent writers who have all had quite original success stories on their CV getting the actor they want?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
'Alien'? I don't recall Colin Baker, Peter Davidson or Sylvester McCoy or Jon Pertweeever being particlally alien and none of those remoltly protrayed the same character either.
Pertwee I'll grant you. That's because Pertwee's performance was pretty bad... McCoy... erm, have you watched McCoy's episodes? Ghost Light? Fenric? The others also had moments.

The only quota for the Doctor is 'English eccentric' and McCoy failed on that by quite a margin but still ended up as a reasonable Doctor Who.
Eh? No it's not the only quota, or Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen would be the ideal.
For f##ks sake McCoy was only famous for shoving ferrets down his trousers before Doctor Who :rolleyes:
Yeh, I'm sure his theatre credits had nothing whatsoever to do with his casting. I'm sure they only thought of Vision On
So why be so judgemental about a series with 3 excelent writers who have all had quite original success stories on their CV getting the actor they want?

Because I don't think it's a good casting decision? What's having successful writers on board got necessarily to do with it? Lynda La Plante's a successful writer.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Pertwee I'll grant you. That's because Pertwee's performance was pretty bad... McCoy... erm, have you watched McCoy's episodes? Ghost Light? Fenric? The others also had moments.

Yes McCoy's was highly manalipitative at times, however, he was hardly 'otherworldly'. And those 'darker' elements stemmed from the writers.

Eh? No it's not the only quota, or Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen would be the ideal.

Yeh, I'm sure his theatre credits had nothing whatsoever to do with his casting. I'm sure they only thought of Vision On

And Ecclestone's theatre credits are fantastic. He has been excelent in a varity of productions. So while TV will sterotype him in their casting (What preoducer dosen't?) he has a very strong body of work that endeared him to the part.

Because I don't think it's a good casting decision? What's having successful writers on board got necessarily to do with it? Lynda La Plante's a successful writer.

However I would imagine that several TV writers, who have created writen succesful TV shows who know the show inside out, being fans, might at the least have the talent to make the format work.

Weather it will work is another matter but have an open mind untill the first series is over.