US Toy lines

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Predaking30
Protoform

US Toy lines

Post by Predaking30 »

Ok, I have a question about the US TF releases... Most of the lines I'm familiar with: Energon is the current series being shown, the G1 re-releases are pretty obvious, but what are the figures in the Universe line? Are they between Armada and Energon? I've never heard of characters like Tankor and Obsidian, even though they look great... I still wish that Hasbro included some variant of the old tech specs so I could figure out more about the character...
Predaking30
Destroy first, ask questions later
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

The Universe line is a collection of repaints from the past three or four US toylines.

Tankor is from Beast Machines, there are some from Robots in Disguise, and a few popping up from Armada. It is a shame that they stopped doing techspecs though, but for a while they did have techspecs for Universe available at [url]http://www.transformers.com,[/url] but it seems they've taken those down now.
Predaking30
Protoform

Post by Predaking30 »

I had started to figure it out a little, but thanks for that, SA. I had no idea that Tankor was from Beast Wars, b/c the Universe issue of him has him as a full-out tank. I would have figured that a figure from Beast Wars would in some way resemble an animal. But I looked at the RiD review of Obsidian up here, and I much prefer the Universe color scheme. It's a very nice dark blue/dark beige combo that looks much more menacing than the urban camo scheme employed by the RiD release.

My other complaint is how pitiful the transformation directions have become. I almost had to just instinctively figure out how to transform Tankor, Obsidian and Skywarp... The directions were not clear at all (IMHO, at least) on the steps to transform Tankor and Obsidian... But they are VERY durable that I can tell... And I like the enhanced articulation of the figures. They are quite poseable and the translucent plastic in them is done very well.
Predaking30
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Predaking30
I had started to figure it out a little, but thanks for that, SA. I had no idea that Tankor was from Beast Wars, b/c the Universe issue of him has him as a full-out tank. I would have figured that a figure from Beast Wars would in some way resemble an animal.

That's because it's not from Beast Wars. It's from Beast Machines. Beast Machines had a faction called the Vehicons whose alt modes were vehicles (hence Jetstorm, the toy that was repainted as Skywarp in Universe).
Predaking30
Protoform

Post by Predaking30 »

Originally posted by fort_max
That's because it's not from Beast Wars. It's from Beast Machines. Beast Machines had a faction called the Vehicons whose alt modes were vehicles (hence Jetstorm, the toy that was repainted as Skywarp in Universe).

Ah, Now it ALL makes sense. Thanks, FM. I still would like a little background information about figures like this that are from other lines (Beast Machines, etc.). I guess I'll just have to d/l some eps and get more familiar with these figures.

EDIT:
Next time, I will make sure to have sufficient caffeine in my system before trying to read these responses... Otherwise I would not have parsed Beast Machines as Beast Wars in Sir Auros' post. *sigh* the joy[1] of 1am maintenance windows

[1] - for very small values of joy
Predaking30
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

That's cool. Believe me, I understand.

BTW, somewhere in this thread is a list of most of the Universe toys that have come out or been announced, and what line they originally appeared in.

I read somewhere that there's also another BM Blackarachnia and an Armada Sideswipe on the way.
Predaking30
Protoform

Post by Predaking30 »

Interesting reading, there, FM. Thanks. Do you have a favorite figure in the Universe line?
Predaking30
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Hmmmmm...I'm really looking forward to the Big Convoy they're supposed to be releasing as part of Universe. Other than that, not really. I have little tolerance for a lot of the repaints Hasbro puts out (Dinobot, anyone?), so...
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I read somewhere that there's also another BM Blackarachnia and an Armada Sideswipe on the way.

The Blackarachnia repaint coming is Crystal Widow, who is an Autobot, so both factions now have that mold. The Armada Sideswipe repaint is Oilslick, a Decepticon. Between him and Treadshot, the Decepticons will have two versions of that mold (poor guys).
Hmmmmm...I'm really looking forward to the Big Convoy they're supposed to be releasing as part of Universe.
They're doing Big Convoy? :eek: That's one of, if not the best mold to come out of the Beast era. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I wonder if it will retain its original colors ala Sixturbo or if they're going to bother giving it a new paint job?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
They're doing Big Convoy? :eek: That's one of, if not the best mold to come out of the Beast era. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I wonder if it will retain its original colors ala Sixturbo or if they're going to bother giving it a new paint job?

That's what I heard somewhere. I'm really hoping it's the case. As for his color scheme, I have no idea.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

On tfextreme they had the link to the pics of the prototype, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Edit: Found them:
beast mode robot mode
robot mode 2
robot mode 3
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
On tfextreme they had the link to the pics of the prototype, I'll see if I can dig them up.

That's right.

I couldn't, for the life of me, remember where I'd seen that. Otherwise, I'd have provided a link.